What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are we the victims of a forward pass conspiracy?!?

spiderdan

Bench
First up: we were slaughtered last night. St Geo/ Illawarra were fantastic and look right on track to win their first ever premiership. This thread is not sour grapes - quite frankly we were lucky to only get smashed by 30 - could've been much worse.

This thread is about the brouhaha that was made after our game winning forward pass against Manly --> the fallout seems to be that the Eels get called for plenty of forward passes, even ones that everyone else gets away with.

I just want to draw attention to 2 tries last night from the South Coast boys - their first and second tries.

Here are pictures for the first try:
I apologise for the terrible picture quality (blame Bigpond).

Morris passes:
MorristoHornby.jpg

Hornby receives:
catch.jpg

If you watched the footage, Hayne turns straight to the touchie and says "forward pass" - clearly it is thrown right on the 20m line, and caught about on the 18m line.

The footage of the second one is even worse - but you'll recall in commentary the fuss that was being made over it being forward (passed 34m out and caught 31m out).

Then later in the game Tahu passes from the 30m line to Burt, who catches it at the 30.5m mark - PENALTY for intentional forward pass.

Let me just qualify my position here: The Hornby try was just a poor piece of skill from Morris to deliver the inside ball (2m forward), the try had been conceeded by a terrible bit of defence from Parra. Had the pass gone backwards, then Hornby scores anyway. [this is exactly the same as the Reddy try vs Manly - try had been laid on]. I am NOT whinging about the result vs the Dragons (or even the scoreline) - just using it as an example of something that I've been noticing quite a bit.

It seems like Parra has been called up for more forward passes since that Manly game then I've seen called on any one particular team in an entire season.
It's like we're the only team in the comp not allowed to pass it forward from dummy half to a rampaging forward. Are we being targetted in the forward pass department since that game?
mate your own pictures show the call was right with the interpretation of momentum rules. look at where the player receiving the ball is in relation to the passer. the ball went forward with the momentum of the run.

saying that, i personally hate the rule (and a number of others) because it has taken away simple interpretation of what should be black or white and doesn't factor in a whole bunch of other variables relating to momentum. if you go to your local c grade social touch comp you can see people able to compensate for momentum and throw on-side passes. these guys get paid good money to play and supposedly are professional so should be able to compensate for momentum to throw a ball backward. it should go back to being called forward if it goes forward, regardless of momentum.

Freak2

Juniors
. it should go back to being called forward if it goes forward, regardless of momentum.

Spot on!!

Years ago everyone used to laugh at Rugby throwing forward passes without it ever getting picked up, now the tide has changed and it is League that is becoming the laughing stock.

It's just a terrible look, so simplify the rule and if the ball goes forward it is a forward pass, it also allows video to rule on it.

forward pass

Coach
Spot on!!

Years ago everyone used to laugh at Rugby throwing forward passes without it ever getting picked up, now the tide has changed and it is League that is becoming the laughing stock.

It's just a terrible look, so simplify the rule and if the ball goes forward it is a forward pass, it also allows video to rule on it.

I can't agree. Seriously if the ball floats marginally forward or is line ball, who cares really. I would rather they allow the marginal ones rather than call them back and see fair tries disallowed. It is damn near impossible sometimes to see if a ball has gone forward so I say just let them go if it is touch and go.

You could say it is benefit of the doubt to the attacking side - which is how it should be.

spiderdan

Bench
I can't agree. Seriously if the ball floats marginally forward or is line ball, who cares really. I would rather they allow the marginal ones rather than call them back and see fair tries disallowed. It is damn near impossible sometimes to see if a ball has gone forward so I say just let them go if it is touch and go.

You could say it is benefit of the doubt to the attacking side - which is how it should be.
marginal is one thing but some of the passes that are let go are laughable.

the thing is that the laws of physics that the rule enforcers claim to be applying aren't being applied. you can't look at applying some laws and not others. people in the game also don't seem to understand what they are applying so their interpretation is wrong. i've lost count over the last few year of how many times a player will run parrallel to the try line and throw a forward pass and then hear refs and commentators say the ball was thrown backward but floated forward out of the hands with momentum. it doesn't work that way and they get it wrong time and time again.

seriously if a social footballer can figure out how to throw a ball backward (and i mean backward even with momentum) and support runners at the same level can position themselves so the ball is thrown backward to them then surely a professional can do the same.

the way it is now with all this interpretation bullsh*t is wrecking the game. the game is too fast for it. i think it should just be kept as simple as possible.

Haynzy

First Grade
I'm with you spider....esp from dummy half.

Aaaand i was embarassed by the one in the Manly game.

Just quietly.... Since Tim Smith left we haven't been anywhere near as bad as we used to be.

Des Hasler

Juniors
Short memory's? Forgotten round 2 already?
No one here is whinging about the competition pts you were gifted that day, coutesy of a 3 mtr forward pass.

spiderdan

Bench
No one here is whinging about the competition pts you were gifted that day, coutesy of a 3 mtr forward pass.
have you forgot that you guys also scored a try off a wrong call? in that game it balanced out. i don't think you are going to find one single parra supporter that doesn't think that ball went forward or that the ref was way wrong. sh*t calls like that are why a forward pass should be a forward pass, regardless of momentum, wind or an act of god. change the video ref system so the on-field captain can make up to three incorrect challenges (including forward passes) in stopped play (but the onfield ref can't refer upstairs just get real time tips) and it fixes a lot of the crap.

strider

Post Whore
no we knew you'd come along and do that - didn't want to steal your glory :D

Stagger eel

Staff member
exactly Manly's first try should not have been allowed...

but hey, the world just appears to be a better place if there's just dodgy tries against our club.

you take St George's first 2 tries away it may of been a different ball game.

Runaround Man

Juniors
Spot on!!

The momentum rule has existed for at least the last 30 years. I remember watching Rex Mossop on 7 big league and he was showing an example when a Canterbury player actually threw the ball over his head, but it still drifted forward from his momentum, and Rex explained how it was NOT a forward pass.
You guys are living in fairy land if you think momentum should not be considered when passing the ball.
Forward passess will always be an issue. That is the beauty of being human, we are fallible.

Besides it wouldn't give us anything to talk about.....:D