What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are you aboard the Green Machine?

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Cameron Green.

The Mutt's nuts or Mitchell Marsh Mark II?

Greg Chappell reckons he's the real Mcoy.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...n/news-story/66fe3f43677461337cb4e89302a5c02b

Aussie test legend Greg Chappell has declared all-round sensation Cameron Green is the “next superstar” of Australian cricket — assessing him as the best talent since Ricky Ponting.

Green last week set Australian cricket on fire with an innings of 197 in Western Australia’s battle with NSW.

Green’s innings took his Sheffield Shield average to 74.5 since the start of the 2019-20 summer, leaving the 21-year-old in the mix for a Test Squad call-up for the Adelaide Oval series opener against India, beginning December 17.

Chappell has thrown his support behind Green being selected this summer — even if the promising all-rounder remains unable to bowl as he continues to return from a back injury.

The former test selector said Green is a special talent that deserves selection as an outright batsman.

Getting exposed to test cricket this summer would be an important lesson for Green with a view to the 2021-22 Ashes series on home soil.

“This is a serious player, this is a special player,” Chappell told The Australian.

“He is the best young player I’ve seen since Ricky Ponting. He is our next superstar.

“I’ve been telling anyone who will listen for a couple of years now. I saw him a hit a couple of shots when he was 17 one day and it was obvious he was a batsman.

“You just have to pick him now before he breaks his back and he can’t play. My greatest fear about him is that everyone gets excited about his bowling and the kid can bowl, he is a rare talent there as well. But you know that if he bowls 20 to 30 overs a game for Western Australia he will break.”

It comes as Green last week revealed he is well on his way to returning to bowling as early as Western Australia’s next Shield against Tasmania, beginning Friday.

“Potentially, the next game, depending on how the next seven days go,” Green said of his chances of showing the all-round skills that have Australian selectors in a lather.

“We have a couple of training sessions, so I’ll bowl a couple of times and see how that progresses.”

His ability with the ball was on show in 2017 when, aged just 17, he became the youngest player to complete a five-wicket haul in Shield cricket when he snared 5-24 on debut against Tasmania.

Now he’s letting his bat do the talking.

Next superstar ala Wadey, you heard it here first.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to see him put an innings together before commenting

only get to see his highlight reels, the Big Show has a good highlight reel which omits brain fades and plays and misses

our batting line up is not set in concrete so we may have a show of watching him this summer probabaly in an ODI I would imagine, being an all rounder

Bazal

Post Whore
Not whacky enough to be worthy of the Green Machine name.

He needs to start reverse sweeping fast bowlers, randomly bowling left arm leggies in the middle of a spell and eye-gouging Wade before he can even come close to that.

typicalfan

Coach
I think it is time to introduce him to the test team. Smith, Lab and home town Warner means we have a quality top order and Paine might have one season left. Best to play him now with some form and experience around him than next year with potentially an inexperienced lower middle order.

TheParraboy

Staff member
He didnt need BBL to be picked for tests

Now he is basically relying on it??

Epic Fail GIF

King-Gutho94

Coach
Best thing for Green would be spending the shield season refining his game.

He isn't required this summer so its pointless carrying him around the squad.

Keep him in state cricket for the rest of the summer.

bazza

Immortal
Best thing for Green would be spending the shield season refining his game.

He isn't required this summer so its pointless carrying him around the squad.

Keep him in state cricket for the rest of the summer.
I wonder how many Australian cricketers have had their careers ruined by spending a few seasons as 12/13th man rather than playing cricket

King-Gutho94

Coach
I wonder how many Australian cricketers have had their careers ruined by spending a few seasons as 12/13th man rather than playing cricket
I reckon a fair few.

Sometimes the worse place to be is actually in that position your carrying the drinks and being on tours but not playing.

While other players are back playing shield cricket and accumlating numbers while your static. Then season finishes and you havent played any FC for 3 months. And have to wait for the following year to get back in the pecking order.

bazza

Immortal
I reckon a fair few.

Sometimes the worse place to be is actually in that position your carrying the drinks and being on tours but not playing.

While other players are back playing shield cricket and accumlating numbers while your static. Then season finishes and you havent played any FC for 3 months. And have to wait for the following year to get back in the pecking order.
Think this has happened to Michael Nesser
He followed around the team while Scott Boland played shield cricket and got wickets so was "in form" for his debut game when one of the other bowlers got injured