What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARLC really needs to step in here

beave

Coach
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-19/north-queensland-rugby-league-competition-sorely/4832438

Still relevant to the NRL imo as this could impact on a lot of potential players that NRL clubs could sign down the track as a legitimate development stepping stone is now gone from a Rugby League heartland.Damn shame, I hope the ARLC could step in here and help out, along with the Cowboys. The introduction of the Cowboys into the ARL/NRL has really weakened the support and awareness of the Foley Shield in the North which like Prince said, was our own mini version of a local State of Origin up here. The support by the NQ public for the Foley Shield and The Panasonic cup were some of the main factors in the introduction of the Cowboys as they had proven an appetite for Rugby League. It just seems the focus by the public is now more on the NRL side and to a lesser extent the QCup sides.

Though if the Cowboys keep playing like ass, the Foley shield might have to be reinstated and be the only top flight footy we may have up here.......

Perth Red

Post Whore
It is always going to be a concern having one body running the NRL, grass roots and jnr RL. Could b a great thing but if the priority is always the NRL then the inaction at the lower levels could be very damaging. 18 months since the ARLC took over and we have seen very few initiatives to support grass roots or jnr RL so far.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I thought it had only recently been restructured...

I'm sure we'll see something done soon, it's too famous/important to let go.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes he spent a few days in WA couple of weeks ago. Then again so did Grant 8 months ago and all we saw was one extra development officer for the Pilbara.

I'd love to see the ARL provide a national player insurance scheme and a national public liability insurance scheme for clubs. That would make a big difference to clubs costs and could be the difference between clubs being sustainable and would reduce player registration costs.

A national kit and equipment deal where clubs can get what they need cheap would also be a practical step forward.

Finally a facilities upgrade grant scheme for clubs to access would help.

Then more funding for the state bodies to offer free ref and coach training, more funding for affiliated states to develop shs competitions, new club start up grants, more development officers for regional areas.... I could go on!

eozsmiles

Bench
It is always going to be a concern having one body running the NRL, grass roots and jnr RL. Could b a great thing but if the priority is always the NRL then the inaction at the lower levels could be very damaging. 18 months since the ARLC took over and we have seen very few initiatives to support grass roots or jnr RL so far.

It's not an "if". The NRL brings in the money. It will always be priority number 1.
Well, so long as the game wants a couple of hundred million flowing it's direction every year.

eozsmiles

Bench
....and without the NRL money there are no funds to sort out ref training or a national equipment supplement or insurance, etc etc

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Yes he spent a few days in WA couple of weeks ago. Then again so did Grant 8 months ago and all we saw was one extra development officer for the Pilbara.

I'd love to see the ARL provide a national player insurance scheme and a national public liability insurance scheme for clubs. That would make a big difference to clubs costs and could be the difference between clubs being sustainable and would reduce player registration costs.

A national kit and equipment deal where clubs can get what they need cheap would also be a practical step forward.

Finally a facilities upgrade grant scheme for clubs to access would help.

Then more funding for the state bodies to offer free ref and coach training, more funding for affiliated states to develop shs competitions, new club start up grants, more development officers for regional areas.... I could go on!

First of all, on the infrastructure grant scheme, infrastructure is not a Commission thing. That is something that a local council will pay for and own. That kind of investment is the exact reason Smith is doing trips like this to Wagga and the stuff in Mudgee, to begin talks on investment areas he thinks are necessary.

He might not even get anything out of this trip to Wagga, but it at least begins communications on a level the Gallop never did. Look at the kind of money councils through at junior AFL shit.

As for the national insurance and and equipment deals, yes, this would be an awesome thing to get up and running, but remember, the guy has been in the seat for 5 and a half month, coming off 10 years of Gallop and 6 months of Matiski, who would have spent most of that doing the media deals. Smith has not ground work to go from, he's essentially working from nothing but potential.

Dont hang the guy for not working quickly enough. That one development officer was what he could do in a short time and it was a good move to create the interest in the area.

Even if he doesnt do exactly what you are asking for, those national schemes could be too expensive or just too hard to manage properly, but he is obviously working hard for the game.

beave

Coach
....and without the NRL money there are no funds to sort out ref training or a national equipment supplement or insurance, etc etc

And without grassroots there are no players for the NRL to use. Chicken or the egg syndrome i guess.

Timbo

Staff member
To be fair, that report did mention that (a) the crowds for the Foley Shield had fallen, (b) participation was down to just three sides and (c) the region now not only has an NRL side but also has two Queensland Cup sides with a third on the way.

It's not like grassroot pathways don't exist anymore, they have just taken a different direction.

Before the Cowboys and especially before the NSWRL began it's expansion outside of New South Wales, regional competitions like the Foley Shield were very important because it was the top level of football played in these regions. But something else that report pointed out was that it was often used as a springboard by players from North Queensland to make it into the Sydney competition, and also I'm assuming the Brisbane competition.

The two (soon three) Queensland Cup sides now fill that role for seniors from the region trying to break in. The Cowboys Holden Cup side, combined with the Meninga and Connell Cup sides from Townsville, Cairns and Mackay fill the role of pathways for juniors.

Don't get me wrong. I teach history, and believe strongly that past traditions must be maintained where possible. However the fact is the BRL vanished when the Broncos came in largely for the same reason that the Foley Shield is fading away. There are competitions of an equal or higher standard that have replaced it's former role of providing development and pathways to North Queensland.

Perhaps the best solution could be with the introduction of the Townsville QLD Cup team imminent, that the three North Queensland teams matches versus each other during the Queensland Cup season also be for the Foley Shield, and whichever of them comes out on top wins the trophy thereby preserving the tradition? If nothing else it will stop it from simply fading away.

beave

Coach
To be fair, that report did mention that (a) the crowds for the Foley Shield had fallen, (b) participation was down to just three sides and (c) the region now not only has an NRL side but also has two Queensland Cup sides with a third on the way.

It's not like grassroot pathways don't exist anymore, they have just taken a different direction.

Before the Cowboys and especially before the NSWRL began it's expansion outside of New South Wales, regional competitions like the Foley Shield were very important because it was the top level of football played in these regions. But something else that report pointed out was that it was often used as a springboard by players from North Queensland to make it into the Sydney competition, and also I'm assuming the Brisbane competition.

The two (soon three) Queensland Cup sides now fill that role for seniors from the region trying to break in. The Cowboys Holden Cup side, combined with the Meninga and Connell Cup sides from Townsville, Cairns and Mackay fill the role of pathways for juniors.

Don't get me wrong. I teach history, and believe strongly that past traditions must be maintained where possible. However the fact is the BRL vanished when the Broncos came in largely for the same reason that the Foley Shield is fading away. There are competitions of an equal or higher standard that have replaced it's former role of providing development and pathways to North Queensland.

Perhaps the best solution could be with the introduction of the Townsville QLD Cup team imminent, that the three North Queensland teams matches versus each other during the Queensland Cup season also be for the Foley Shield, and whichever of them comes out on top wins the trophy thereby preserving the tradition? If nothing else it will stop it from simply fading away.

Your last suggestion may work mate. They would just have to figure out how to do it scheduling wise to ensure a result/winner of the trophy. Not sure when the announcement of the Townsville Qcup side will be (if it does happen) but it will be a better situation for the cowboys not having to send fringe players north and south 400kms each weekend (or more if its an away game in brissy) plus if it opens up a foley shield opportunity than it will be even more worthwhile.

Timbo

Staff member
Your last suggestion may work mate. They would just have to figure out how to do it scheduling wise to ensure a result/winner of the trophy. Not sure when the announcement of the Townsville Qcup side will be (if it does happen) but it will be a better situation for the cowboys not having to send fringe players north and south 400kms each weekend (or more if its an away game in brissy) plus if it opens up a foley shield opportunity than it will be even more worthwhile.

I don't know if that will necessarily work either.

If Cairns and Mackay aren't able to field fringe first graders in their sides, they'll be monstered every week. Look at Wests in the NSW Cup. Lost their NRL players and were getting beaten by 50 every week.

If/when the Townsville team comes in, the Cowboys will still need to split their top 25 among the North Queensland teams. Unless they become feeder teams for Perth or Brisbane 2, assuming they're admitted in a timely manner.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well I suppose if brothers get in then they could farm out to cairns.
WC pirates intend to run a nsw cup team when they are admitted.

Loudstrat

Coach
Not necessarily. We always had that until Super League. The difference now is the ARLC is run by the 16 NRL clubs, whereas before everybody had input into it.