What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Around the Grounds

Rod

Bench
Happy for our guys but as mentioned it does leave our backline pretty screwed for the weekend.

Ponga feels like a bit of a desperate move from Billy, especially with Grant already on the bench. Hopefully he doesn't get too many minutes.

As I've said before I don't really understand the need for Watson, he's been fine for the Roosters without being great, but NSW love a utility so..

Yosh

Coach
Just rewatched Ponga's debut game for Queensland. He was hitting like a dump truck in defense all game in the middle. I'm sorta scared Billy is going to play him at 13 for like 60 minutes next Wednesday.

Rod

Bench
He was amazing in that game, I almost couldn't believe it at the time, for a young fullback to be put in that position in an Origin match and play like he did was incredible.

aqua_duck

Coach
Happy for our guys but as mentioned it does leave our backline pretty screwed for the weekend.

Ponga feels like a bit of a desperate move from Billy, especially with Grant already on the bench. Hopefully he doesn't get too many minutes.

As I've said before I don't really understand the need for Watson, he's been fine for the Roosters without being great, but NSW love a utility so..
Watson just gives them a lot of insurance in case of injury and he can also play big minutes in the middle and hooker, I like Reece Robson but I don’t think him playing 80 minutes at hooker is the best scenario for the team so Watson being able to come on and just run at tired forwards is a luxury. Last week Joey Manu got hurt early on and Watson played most of the game in the centres and didn’t look out of place there either

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’m glad they got picked tbh. Players who win an Origin series tend to come back and play at another level for their club afterwards. Also I feel like you don’t want to be a club that doesn’t have any players getting selected, it’s kind of a bad look and players want to be confident that signing at a club won’t affect their rep chances…

Also, for KP, he really hasn’t played anywhere near as much rep footy as he should have by this point in his career. Given he debuted for QLD in 2018 he’s only played about 4 or 5 games right? Given he’s an elite player who debuted 6 years ago you’d think he’d have 4-5 series under his belt by now but a combination of injuries and not being selected has meant I’ve got this feeling that there’s still a lot he can accomplish in the rep arena… obviously I’d give all of that for him to win a premiership with the Knights but I don’t see it happening any time soon so until that’s a realistic proposition I want him to play as much rep footy as possible.

mozza91

Coach
I’m glad they got picked tbh. Players who win an Origin series tend to come back and play at another level for their club afterwards. Also I feel like you don’t want to be a club that doesn’t have any players getting selected, it’s kind of a bad look and players want to be confident that signing at a club won’t affect their rep chances…
Not having a go but when has this ever happened for us? Our players turn to absolute shit after Origin most of the time. In 2019 we had D Saf, Pearce and Ponga all playing origin and they’ll all had terrible finishes to the season.

Not having a go but when has this ever happened for us? Our players turn to absolute shit after Origin most of the time. In 2019 we had D Saf, Pearce and Ponga all playing origin and they’ll all had terrible finishes to the season.
Best came back an animal after playing in game 3 last year

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Best was pretty good on the home stretch after coming back from winning game 3 last year wasn’t he?

2019… a lot happened that year, I wouldn’t just put it down to “they came back from Origin and played bad”

mozza91

Coach
Best was pretty good on the home stretch after coming back from winning game 3 last year wasn’t he?

2019… a lot happened that year, I wouldn’t just put it down to “they came back from Origin and played bad”
It definitely had an effect. Pearce in particular was in career best form prior to Game 3 and as soon as it was done he fell off a cliff. Both Safs have done it previously and after his 1st game in 2018 Ponga was injury plagued for the rest of the year.

Best definitely grew an arm and a leg after last year so hopefully they’ll all have strong ends to the year. But I much prefer to watch Origin without our blokes involved.

Yosh

Coach
Seeing some of the media stuff today has me pumped for the game. No Newie boys for games 1 and 2 but the savior for Queensland Ponga coming in. The battle between Best and Gagai is going to be awesome as well. It'd be awesome if all 3 of them played well but as long as they get through the game without injuries, I think I'll be pretty happy.

Both Saifiti boys had great games in Origin and it's such a pity they couldn't stay at that standard. When they are on they are so good to watch.

perverse

Referee
Does anyone else fear for Gags tonight? I'm not sure who will win the match overall, but I can't see how Bradman won't give him an absolute bath if he gets some ball tonight. Bradman is exactly the kind of player that Gags struggles with.

I hope he doesn't get humiliated badly enough that it taints Gags origin career as a whole. People tend to have a recency bias. Maybe the old boy will surprise me, but I just see this is a major mismatch on the field.

Woody90

Juniors
Does anyone else fear for Gags tonight? I'm not sure who will win the match overall, but I can't see how Bradman won't give him an absolute bath if he gets some ball tonight. Bradman is exactly the kind of player that Gags struggles with.

I hope he doesn't get humiliated badly enough that it taints Gags origin career as a whole. People tend to have a recency bias. Maybe the old boy will surprise me, but I just see this is a major mismatch on the field.

Yep - this also worries me. Tbh I don’t really care how the other two play but I really just want Gags to have a good game as I know it means so much to him.

That and KP getting concussed from playing lock worries me.

Knight Tales

Bench
It’s Moses Gags will be looking for. He would be filthy after getting scorched twice by him. I actually worry Gags hotheaded nature may actually work at Origin level and he destroys Bradman.