What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARROGANT, SPINELESS, GUTLESS, SELFISH

dimitri

First Grade
British Rugby League reporter Ray French has lashed out at Australian RL officials and their representitives on the RLIF board, claiming they are spineless, gutless, selfish and a waste of time.

As reported in the Sydney Morning Herald he has in fact, said what many International League fans have secretly thought for a long long time. Claiming the ARL's reluctance to hold tests and promote them i nOctober because it is not "footy season" a disgrace.

He pointed to the RUWC and rightly states that people will go and watch the winter codes during october if they are promoted right and a little bit of effort is put in.

He also rightly implied that the ARL officials are somewhat arrogant for wanting to control ALL Rugby League yet seemingly doing nothing for it.

I tend to agree

Its time action is taken and a true international board is set up, similar to the irb.

no more excuses
no more arrogance
no more selfishness

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
atleast in oct or nov its not pissing down rain as much or just awful weather.

all it takes is promotion and a little thought put in.

that is the only thing holding back international rl ..........PROMOTION.

In-goal

Bench
atlast someone has stood up and tol it like it is, rlif your not doing enough and thats the truth.

The Q Facor

Juniors
I am going out on limb here, but here it goes.....

I have to agree with John O'Neil on something :shock: :shock:
(probably the only thing I ever will)

He apparently said in his TV doco special that there are fundamental floors in the setup of the different Rugby League organizations throughout the World and especially Australia. Well tell us something we don't know!!
But I think to get International Rugby League back up on the priority of the IRLF (or whatever it is!), the NRL, ARL, ESL, BARLA etc etc... need all to fall under the International body. The international body then must show a bit of "backbone" and a little bit more stucture and control. From there, obviously the NRL and ARL MUST be one body as well with all other international Rugby Leagues. I know this would be a big job, but one that must happen to maintain the viability of international rugby league.

With different bodies all controlling different parts of the game, I guess you would have trouble adequatley providing the appropriate funding and promotion International Rugby League so desparetley deserves!!

Its pretty obvious, look what the rah-rahs have done to their game through well managed promotions and advertising. We have a game which is by far a better and more superior game, yet but gets know where near the promotion Rugby gets. With the correct set-up, RL, I believe, can challenge the Rugby Yawnion World Cup in captivating the public's imagination.

Sad to say though, we are a LONG way away from that. O'Neil may be hated by alot of League fans (me included), but you have to admit, he is bloody good at what he does.

:D

dimitri

First Grade
He apparently said in his TV doco special that there are fundamental floors in the setup of the different Rugby League organizations throughout the World and especially Australia. Well tell us something we don't know!!
But I think to get International Rugby League back up on the priority of the IRLF (or whatever it is!), the NRL, ARL, ESL, BARLA etc etc... need all to fall under the International body. The international body then must show a bit of "backbone" and a little bit more stucture and control. From there, obviously the NRL and ARL MUST be one body as well with all other international Rugby Leagues. I know this would be a big job, but one that must happen to maintain the viability of international rugby league.

With different bodies all controlling different parts of the game, I guess you would have trouble adequatley providing the appropriate funding and promotion International Rugby League so desparetley deserves!!

Its pretty obvious, look what the rah-rahs have done to their game through well managed promotions and advertising. We have a game which is by far a better and more superior game, yet but gets know where near the promotion Rugby gets. With the correct set-up, RL, I believe, can challenge the Rugby Yawnion World Cup in captivating the public's imagination.

Sad to say though, we are a LONG way away from that. O'Neil may be hated by alot of League fans (me included), but you have to admit, he is bloody good at what he does.

i think every rugby league fan agrees with you

and I believe this is what Ray French was implying when he wrote his article

the arl must stop thinking they run RL

and it should be up to an international body

terracesider

Juniors
Ray French's piece in League Weekly certaintly made me sit up because he's usually quite restrained, but he really put the boot in. Did the SMH run the full piece? If not, I'll try and scan it later today (Thursday morning AET).

Bengal

Juniors
One body in Australia, one body Internationally (with claws) has to happen.

Arrogant and selfish Mr French should also level that same critisism at various Pommie clubs in regards to their treatment of Kiwi internationals in days gone by.

PB

Bench
when i saw the title of this thread, i thought it was another thread about Rebecca Wilson..but i digress...

Everything you all have said i agree with 99%.

You look at the way rugby league promotes itself. It is so far behind the other football codes, it is not funny. Look at NRL club websites, then have a look at any professional football club website from any professional, soccer, union, league, basketball, whatever. Most of our club sites are like amateur club sites compared to these ones.

Look at their TV campaigns. They have been doing the same sort of television promotion (ie, get a quasi high profile singer to sing their song, and put vision of players and fans behind it) for about 10 years now! Not many business run the same style of advertising campaign in 2003 as they did back in 1993 or whatever!, and even when they started that whole simply the best crap they ripped it off the new English premier league as it was at the time.

No other "international" code has such a flimsy style of administration. look at soccer. outside their national comps they have international competitions (COPA america, Euro Champs, World Cup), Union (Super 12, 6 Nations, Heiniken Cup, World Cup etc). International competitions that areannaualy as well as show peices on a four year basis. We have nothing, just random tests between england, Aust and NZ, and the occaisional "world cup" when it gets organised!

terracesider

Juniors
This is the orignal article by Ray French in this Monday's "League Weekly". Apoligies for any formatting bugs.

CAN I ASK our readers to cast their minds back four years to October and November of 1999 when the Bartercard Rugby League Tri-Nations Tournament was held in Australia and New Zealand, featuring the Kangaroos, the Kiwis and the Lions.
And can I ask our readers to recall the squeals and howls of derision which came especially from the Australian Board of Control when they were asked to stage matches in Brisbane and Sydney, two rugby league strongholds, at that time of the year.
Having told every man and his dog in both hemispheres that nobody could ever promote rugby in October or November when the season has been over for the best part of a month, they even switched the trial to Auckland in New Zealand, to the great inconvenience of those fans who had travelled from Britain to watch it in Sydney.
And they continue to support the view that there is no call for a mini Lions Tour of Australia as their spring and summer months encroach.
Well then, what about the current Rugby Union World Cup, the tmal of which will be held even two weeks later than the rugby league's Tri-Nations eqivalent and for which attendances are expected to top the 2 million figure?
If union games between Scotland and the USA can attract 53,000 spectators to the Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, France v Scotland 80,000 supporters in Sydney and Wales v Italy 25,000 fans in the Bruce Stadium in Canberra - all rugby league strongholds then why not the 13-a-side code?
If non events like Australia's 142-0 annihilation of Namibia in Adelaide, Canada's clash with Tonga in Gosford and Japan's appearances in Townsville can be staged before full house crowds then why not a rugby league Test match or Tri-Nations game in such places?
Quite simply, the only answer is the gutless, self interested and spineless approach of the Australian governing body and their representatives on the equally useless International Board who consistently place the demands of their own club competition before anything else in world rugby.
Perhaps it is because Australia is such an isolated continent, far away from all others, that they ever look inward and promote and adulate their Premiership above every other event - a similar outlook to the Americans who .continue to laud their successful baseball. '
and gridiron football clubs as world champions when no-one else in the world plays the games seriously.
In newspapers and on. TV and radio the supporters of the league code Down Under have sought to denigrate the Rugby Union World Cup by ridiculing the many mis-matches which have occurred in the opening weeks of the competition, mis-matches which have,in the opening two weeks attracted over a million spectators.
Since the days of Ken Arthurson, Bob Abbott, John Quayle and company, who held office when overseas tours and innovative competitions were the order of the day, Australia has contributed little to any prospect of international competition within its borders. And its excuses have been without foundation.
The Rugby Union World Cup is delivering more than egg on the faces of those members ofth_Australian Board of Control, who continue to insist that any Tri,Nations tournament must be played in England for the next three years and not in rotation in all three countries.
And the 15-a-side code is proving a huge embarrassment to those who insist that there is no interest in a Lions party visiting Australia.
What of that wonderful word 'marketing' that the Australian Board of Control were supposed to be masters of? How come rugby union can market and sell an event to the public, not only in rugby league strongholds but even in places like Tasmania where there is little interest in either code when rugby league insists it cannot?
How come rugby union can, as with the Olympic Games, marshal an army of willing volunteers in cities and towns around Australia to help organise and promote the matches as special events when rugby league tells the world of rugby league that at this time of the year everyone is relaxing on the beach?
It is because one sport wants to do it and the other one, rugby league, cannot be bothered to do it and wishes to continue wallow, smugly, in its own locally-inspired competition.
If the Australians believe that they can promote international rugby league by visiting England every year with their Test team and club champions then they are deluded and so are the members of the International Board.
If the British supporters, now filling our grounds to capacity and players of the quality of Paul Sculthorpe, Brian Carney, Kris Radlinski and company are not allowed to realise their ambitions and dreams by following or representing their country on a bigger stage abroad then it will be little wonder that they begin to look more closely at the game that will allow them to do so.
The Rugby Union World Cup has exposed the hypocrisy and the excuses made by the Aussies who have constantly poured scorn on .the possibility of holding any events out of season in October and early November.
For the simple truth is that for the same reasons they transferred the final of the Tri-Nations Tournament in 1999 to Auckland, they cannot be bothered to sell and market any event which might detract from the image of their Premiership as the be all and end all of world rugby league.
If they continue their Ostrich-like stance, ignore the lessons from their union rivals and in October and November bury their heads in the sands on Bondi Beach, then as with the Americans and their gridiron football they will soon be world champions of nothing.

Bengal

Juniors
Simple answer to this tirade.

Well pommie and kiwilands come up with teams that are capable of beating the Roos and beating them consistently.
Give the ARL something worthwhile to promote.

Doesn’t matter where the Tri-nations is held, if both GB and NZ cannot compete against Australia this concept will die a quick death.
Promotion and marketing well! It’s unfortunate that the average League fan is not dumb enough to have the wool pulled over their eyes as has been the case with the rah rah fans a point so rightly highlighted by many fans on this board (refer to the League vs Union vs AFL forum for examples). However there are initiatives that League can take from Union such as $5 ticket prices and ticketing tie-ins.

I want a contest, the ARL want a contest, if GB and NZ cannot provide a contest rather than bagging Australia, please Mr French I’d like to know what marketing concept you can come up with to sell a future one-sided Tri-series.
It’s so easy to bag; I only wish people would provide solutions at the same time.

dimitri

First Grade
Give the ARL something worthwhile to promote.

thats the whole point of this thread

it should be up to all the bodies to promote it, or better yet and international body (RLIF) to promote it

salivor

First Grade
The problem with the ARL is that they'd stab their own mother in the back to get the slightest advantage. Just look at the test against New Zealand. They complained bitterly when they found that New Zealand had shortened the in-goals. More examples are how in recent times they have used the likes of Tuqiri and El Masri who have represented other countries first.

Its not great business to not do every thing you can to get ahead but I think the ARL have to realise that they probably won't exist in a couple of decades if they don't ease off and allow International Rugby League to become competitive.

If New Zealand and England had any backbone they'd just play tests between each other and shut out Australia until they came back on their hands and knees promising to play nice from now on.

bazza

Immortal
salivor said:
If New Zealand and England had any backbone they'd just play tests between each other and shut out Australia until they came back on their hands and knees promising to play nice from now on.

I think that has some merit and I think the English have taken the right first step in establishing the European RL and playing the European cup

dimitri

First Grade
perhaps they could just hold an RLIF meeting and not invite the arl reps

then vote all brits and kiwis onto the board

then the arl will start to play nice

bazza

Immortal
dimitri said:
perhaps they could just hold an RLIF meeting and not invite the arl reps

then vote all brits and kiwis onto the board

then the arl will start to play nice

If you want to get the ARL on board you would have to show that you can make money out of international RL

dimitri

First Grade
to make money out of international league you have to PROMOTE it

PROMOTE IT
PROMOTE IT

and of course do some shit spinning a.k.a union style

bazza

Immortal
dimitri said:
to make money out of international league you have to PROMOTE it

PROMOTE IT
PROMOTE IT

and of course do some sh*t spinning a.k.a union style

If the NZRL and RFL or anyone else could properly promote and run international RL games and make big $$$ then the ARL would be falling over themselves to get involved

terracesider

Juniors
There does seem to be a streak of arrogance running through the Australian game at the moment, not least with some players giving the impression that they are missing an Ashes tour because they think next season's NRL is more important; but without international football, RL will shrink to just another minority sport, one played in ccertain areas of northern Engalnd and Sydney.

I agree completely with Salivor, but we all know that neither the RFL or the NZ authorities have the backbone to tell the ARL to go to hell the next time they throw a tantrum, instead of meekly surrendering.