What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Article linking Lyon with the Raiders from the SMH

Paullyboy

Coach
Gday guys, you may have seen this posted in the NRL section, if not - here it is:

Lyon in limbo as Raiders debate move
By Steve Mascord
August 5, 2004

Errant Australian Test centre Jamie Lyon was yesterday offered to the Canberra Raiders.

After giving permission for Lyon to speak to Penrith, only for the Panthers to turn him down, Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said last night the Eels would consider any approach from a club outside Sydney.

And Raiders chief executive Simon Hawkins confirmed Lyon's uncle, Mick Smith, had called to see if they would be interested.

"If living in the country is what he's keen on doing, Canberra's a fairly logical spot for him to be," Hawkins said.

"[But] we've got a bit of a salary cap issue for next year so it would be fairly difficult for us to do something ... we really haven't gone very far with it but we'd be happy to look at the possibilities that might arise."

Fitzgerald had allowed Smith to negotiate with Penrith on behalf of Lyon, while denying Manly the same opportunity.

Asked under what circumstances he would allow Lyon to talk to another club, Fitzgerald said: "Based on what he said about the reason for leaving us, I'd find it very difficult for him to go to another Sydney club."

Lyon told the Eels he didn't like city life and they were willing to let him negotiate with Penrith because of the "semi-rural" nature of the area.

Hawkins admitted: "I don't know what the real story is with Jamie, whether he is available to other clubs at all."

It is thought Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra would be acceptable to Parramatta if Lyon was going to live in Campbelltown or Wollongong.

Asked what he would do if Lyon suggested living somewhere like Wollongong, Fitzgerald said: "I'd at least listen to what Jamie had to say."

But he added at this stage that "we're not looking for anyone or considering anyone" to sign Lyon.

Newcastle chief executive Ken Conway said the Knights could not fit Lyon under their salary cap.

Manly were angered by Fitzgerald's decision to prevent them from talking to Lyon. Sea Eagles CEO Paul Cummings said yesterday he had spoken to NRL chief executive David Gallop about it. He said the club would not take legal action but stressed Manly could afford Lyon without breaching their salary cap.

Gallop said: "Because Jamie Lyon is under contract to Parramatta, they can impose any restrictions they wish on him playing. It is important for players and clubs to respect the sanctity of contracts."

Lyon's agent, Alan Gainey, said he was unconcerned that Smith was acting on his client's behalf.

"Jamie has instructed him to do something," Gainey said. "I'm still there but he's been doing that so you'll have to talk to his uncle. I think [Jamie's] got to get his head around things."

ohh man this would be a dream come true....ill be pissed if we "cant fit him under the cap" I find that hard to believe...if so release Tyran or some other liability....just make it happen. You dont get offered the best player in his position in the world everyday on a silver platter.

There's plenty of deadwood to cut from our club, Tyran, Bulgauseless, Thompson, Drew. I dont rate Terry Martin or Hodgson either...allthough some here do.

Shit whatever it takes. I think I was the first to point out that Lyon & Canberra would be a natural fit. Just chuck a few dozen pigs on Hindy's farm and set him loose.

oh lord how good would it be to lose Monaghan to the Rorters, and gain Lyon to take his place...who would have the last laugh then... :lol:

aussies1st

Staff member
Lyon would be a good addition to our growing list of backs. I hope we would get him as he would add class and experience to our centres. He also was playing 5/8 for the club he played with after leaving the eels so there could be another option for us in 5/8 if we feel we can't fit him in at centre.
As for the cap that is ridiculous we lost wiki, monas, davico and drew surely we must have enough cash their to offer lyon something

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Would be rather painful if our 2005 stop-gap signings from the UK stopped us bringing talent like Lyons on board.

The Colonel

Immortal
aussies1st said:
Lyon would be a good addition to our growing list of backs. I hope we would get him as he would add class and experience to our centres. He also was playing 5/8 for the club he played with after leaving the eels so there could be another option for us in 5/8 if we feel we can't fit him in at centre.
As for the cap that is ridiculous we lost wiki, monas, davico and drew surely we must have enough cash their to offer lyon something

Just remember where he was playing 5/8 ;-) ...... I know Smith did try him there a few times but he is definitely more dangerous in the centres.

Evergreen

Juniors
Paullyboy said:
"[But] we've got a bit of a salary cap issue for next year so it would be fairly difficult for us to do something ... we really haven't gone very far with it but we'd be happy to look at the possibilities that might arise."

I hope this is an example of Hawkins' shrewd management rather than another ridiculous blind eye to a potential major signing. He would be absolutely kidding himself if massive efforts are not made to sign Lyon.

azza

Juniors
We have to clear whatever dead wood we have to sign him. It would be ridiculous not to try everything possible (of course I do appreciate we probably have to leave some money for our juniors to be upgraded, but it would be disgraceful if we are anywhere near the cap)

legend

Coach
I'd shift Frawley to the wing to accomodate Lyon. Image a backline of:

Schif
Graham
Mogg
Lyon
Frawley

Potential to be the best in the NRL.

mike83au

Juniors
That's a great looking backline, but I don't think we'll get Lyon. He was more or less 'offered' to the Raiders and Hawkins had no idea about it.... he seemed asleep to the idea. Hopefully something can be organised though. Maybe all our ex Eels players could get into his ear.

hrundi99

First Grade
Don't be too hard on management.

Adamson was offered (probably) reasonable money for a 1 year contract with the impression that there were few other options available.

If management had known on June 30 that Lyon was available then I'm sure they would have shuffled their cards differently.

azza

Juniors
But there is no way we should be near the salary cap anyway. Nonetheless I agree, we will probably not get Lyon.

If we did I'd prefer to have Frawley and Lyon in the centres, Graham and Mogg on wing.

The Colonel

Immortal
Guys, I think you'll find that Denis is playing hardball or at least trying to prove a point to Lyon and have him honour his contract. Most clubs would be at or near there salary cap for the 2005 season. Lyon stated his main reason for leaving was he was sick of "city life" and Denis is letting him talk to the clubs who would be considered as outside the "city". Yourselves, Penrith, Dragons and Newcastle would not be able at this stage of the year to slip a player of Lyon's standing into the cap realistically without some shuffling or disrupting plans in place.

Edwahu

Bench
I think the cap problem he is talking about is been able to keep all the off contract players next year.

lotm

Juniors
to be honest, i get the feeling that hawkins is referring to the possibility of lyon's having an exorbitant asking price, rather than our immediate proximity to the salary cap. i'm unsure of the exact figure, but i'd imagine he would have been on close to $300-350 000 p.a.

considering that, and the fact that clubs are now required to spend at least $3m of their cap, it's not management's fault that they may not be able to afford him. and remember, it's not as if we've completely ruled him out due to the salary cap, like the panthers have.

i'm almost certain we'd not be able to afford him, but how many clubs could afford to buy an international player after they'd completed their recruitment?

hrundi99

First Grade
This is all very mysterious to me.

I can't really figure out where Lyon is coming from.

He is worth a big salary, but if he's supposedly been so happy pulling schooners then why should he expect a big salary? But then why would he play for $100k if he's away from his beloved Wee Waa?

Dunno...

I would think that most of the players we have off contract next year would sign for the same money, which would mean that if we can fit lyon under the cap for next year we would still be able to resign them, thats only theoretical though.

thickos

First Grade
legend said:
I'd shift Frawley to the wing to accomodate Lyon. Image a backline of:

Schif
Graham
Mogg
Lyon
Frawley

Potential to be the best in the NRL.

Holy shit that is one smoking backline. :shock:

I'd love to see him make the trek down the Highway. He is kidding if the Tigers are an 'option' by living at Campbelltown... if he wants 'bush cities', Canberra is the place to be!

Won't happen but I can dream....

Edabomb was on the right track yesterday. If we sign him, we'd have a shitload of backs, and not enough QUALITY forwards. This would make it next to impossible to sign anyone for 2006, and would perhaps make it tough to re-sign players next year as well.

A hypothetical question.

There have been rumours that we'll probably chase after N. Hindmarsh if he hasn't been re-signed by Parramatta next year. Would you rather not sign Lyon, so we have some money under the cap to make a run at Hindy?

I would. Granted, it could be risky because he'll probably re-sign with Parra, but you have to weigh up your options.

If we didn't get Frawley or Ale, I would be all for going after Lyon. Granted, Ale and Frawley are no-where near Lyon's talent, but we have a lot of depth, and if Lyon came to the club it might mean that we'd lose a few talented youngsters of our own.

My point is... we could have the best backline in the NRL, but in 2006 we could have the worst forward pack going around and we'd get smashed out of every game. We need to find a balance.