What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

getsmarty

Immortal
lomaxz-2gp_1897.jpg

DRAGONS

Zac on the attack: Lomax welcomes pressure of expectation
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 6 Dec 2019, 03:01 PM

Zac Lomax says he won't pay much mind to any scrutiny that comes with his long-term contract.

St George Illawarra have invested heavily in the talented 20-year-old utility back, locking him down until at least 2025 with a five-year extension.

It's the longest deal in the joint-venture club's history alongside that of halfback Ben Hunt, who has an option for a sixth season.

And while Hunt has copped his fair share of vitriol since joining the Dragons last year, Lomax believes he's ready for the challenge despite having only 17 NRL games to his name.

"We play NRL and we're expected to be the best, we're expected to not drop any footballs from a fan's point of view," said Lomax, who is set to start next season at fullback.

"But you expect pressure, it's a part of everyday life. I'm happy to be able to have pressure on me but I don't sort of look at it in that way.

"I'm just more than happy that I get to stay here. I'm here with my friends, my teammates - and my teammates are like brothers to me now and they have been since I've come in.

Dragons' top five tries of 2019

"I'm really happy with the decision that we've made. I know it's the right one."

Lomax credited the influence of manager Steve Gillis and friends and family away from the game with keeping him grounded.

Having been part of the St George Illawarra system since he was 13, Lomax said he felt indebted to the Dragons for their role in his development and overall support.

Five key matchups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

"There was no hesitation [in re-signing]. My heart and my family's heart is set on Wollongong and the Dragons," Lomax said.

"We grew up playing for Temora which is the Red V as well. To be able to stay here and sign for the club for a long period of time, it's very humbling."

Family was "massive" in convincing Lomax to stay - he desperately hopes to play alongside 21-year-old brother Hayden in the NRL.

A nuggety utility forward, Hayden endured an injury-plagued 2019 but has re-signed with the Dragons until the end of 2021 and will push for a Telstra Premiership debut.

"He's my brother but he's my best friend. We've done everything together and that's the way we want to stay," Lomax said of Hayden.

"That's been a goal since we were kids. We want to be able to one day pull on the Red V jersey together.

"I'm so confident that he's going to put in the work, because you won't meet a harder trainer than him and you won't meet a better fella than him."

Hayden declared it would "mean the world" to feature for St George Illawarra with his sibling.

He hasn't had any discussions with the coaching staff about making the leap to first grade just yet.

dsc_0283.jpg

Zac and Hayden Lomax. :copyright:dragons.com.au
"I think they're more just focused on me getting my body right, having a good year in 2020 and just hopefully playing some consistent footy," Hayden said.

Meanwhile, the younger Lomax said he'll aim to bring a non-stop work-rate at fullback, a la Raiders custodian Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad.

"I guess I just want to be known as that player who's going to compete on every play," Lomax said.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/06/zac-on-the-attack-lomax-welcomes-pressure-of-expectation/

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_0019.jpg

DRAGONS

Grateful Merrin says he'll give Dragons value for money
Author
Timestamp
Sat 7 Dec 2019, 08:26 AM

Trent Merrin insists he has nothing to prove in his return for the Dragons but the veteran forward believes he can recapture his best form.

Merrin, who left his junior club to join Penrith in 2016, is grateful to be back after a tough personal period.

Having played for Super League strugglers Leeds Rhinos last season, some have questioned the value of signing the 30-year-old on a two-year deal.

But the premiership-winning former NSW and Australian lock, who has played 205 NRL games, isn't bothered by any negative opinions as he sets about repaying St George Illawarra's faith.

"I've done everything in the game, I know what it takes to be the best and to work really hard to put myself in good positions," Merrin said.

"The main objective was to test myself now, bring my family back home, be happy.

"My partner and I are starting a family now and I think that's the chapter we're looking forward to.

"When you're in a happy place and you're very professional as an athlete - you put those two together and you can make some pretty special things happen."

Older and wiser, and boasting more leadership experience after captaining Leeds, Merrin is keen to mentor some emerging players.

It's a selfless mindset the skilful Shellharbour product admits he didn't always have.

"It's team-first now. Back in the day it was always trying to make a name for myself and put myself forward," Merrin said.

"But the circle of life now, coming back here at a decent age, it's about putting the team first and putting the club back where it deserves to be [after finishing 15th in 2019].

"You'll probably get the best out of me the next few years. The Dragons have taken a big punt on me, taking me back home and doing the right thing by me.

"I'll definitely be doing everything I can to produce some of my best footy."

Merrin says his passion for St George Illawarra never waned and he always hoped to return to the joint-venture outfit.

While he has no regrets, Merrin only departed the club in the first place because he thought it was necessary to develop as a footballer and a person.

"When you're at that age, you're surrounded by people. Everyone wants to put their input in and say their two pieces," Merrin said.

"It's hard to just look within yourself and make a decision based on your own feelings.

"A lot came into it. I was still a young pup. I was still being coached by [former teammates] Dean Young and Benny Hornby. At that time I felt like I needed to break away and grow for myself.

merrint-180713_gt_99.jpg

Trent Merrin during his stint at Penrith in 2018. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
"I think I was always looked upon as the junior around those blokes. I really needed to go away and spread my own wings and learn a lot about myself.

"It wasn't about going to a different club, it was a growth period. I've done that the last few years, I've gone away and learned a lot."

Having begun pre-season training three weeks late, Merrin's main focus is on working hard and enjoying the little things.

"I've been on a rollercoaster for the past few years but I feel like I've finally found my feet back home," he said.

"It gives me some goosebumps. It feels like I'm debuting again."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/12/07/grateful-merrin-says-hell-give-dragons-value-for-money/

getsmarty

Immortal
Trent Merrin’s Dragons return is a dream come true. Now he wants to return them to glory
Pamela Whaley AAP, AAP
December 7, 2019 10:44am
A St George Illawarra homecoming gave Trent Merrin “goosebumps” when he walked into the training sheds, with the former representative star vowing to help return the club to NRL glory.

The 30-year-old forward returns to the Dragons from Leeds, older and wiser, four years after he left his junior club for Penrith.

Calling it a “dream come true” to return, the former NSW and Australian player said his role was to be selfless to help restore success at the Dragons.

'Goosebumps' upon STG return
15b7fca2a43871b20d3a411335fd693f

“I’ve always loved the Dragons and, to see such a youthful group come through, I know they did it a bit tough last year but they’re making up for it now; they’re putting their best foot forward,” he said.

“What I add is a bit of experience and I’ll do everything I possibly can to put myself in the best position in the best shape and the best mental condition to give this team everything I’ve got.

“I’ll leave it up to the coaches to make those decisions but my thing now is putting the team first and doing everything I possibly can to get this club back to where they deserve to be.

“It’s not about making positions - it’s more of a selfless job, mine now. It’s about putting the team first.”

Merrin returns to the NRL after one year with Leeds in the Super League that he labels “challenging”.

The club captain was released by the Rhinos from his four-year marquee contract after they secured Cronulla prop Matt Prior as a replacement on a two-year deal. From the cold weather to the free-flowing style of play, Merrin said he found Super League difficult to get used to but appreciated the life lessons it taught him.

7516e1472f0200e4fab4f8433e119ad6

Trent Merrin has returned from Leeds for a second coming with the Dragons.
“I learned a lot about leading a team and I took a lot out of it,” he said. “It was a massive growth period for me personally, as well as the rugby league side of things.

“It was a massive growth period going over there, stepping outside of our comfort zone, being in the cold weather every day.

“I’m grateful for it.

“It’s made me appreciate everything that we do have here.

“To be back here on the coast and put that Red V on again, it gave me goosebumps walking into the sheds.

“That speaks 1000 words itself.”

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/3f62f30a98a48ca0024b852e1d2340af

getsmarty

Immortal
Merrin older, wiser, but far from done ahead of Dragons second coming
Dragons Den
r0_0_4496_2997_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HOME SWEET HOME: Returning Dragons forward Trent Merrin. Picture: Dragons Media

RETURNING Dragons forward Trent Merrin admits he has unfinished business in the NRL, but he's not interested in proving doubters wrong.

If there's major shift in mindset in his second coming with his junior club it's that. That desire is what drove him to win a premiership and play for his state before his 22nd birthday.

It also played at least some part in his decision to depart the Dragons at the end of 2015 to take up a rich three-year deal with Penrith.

It was the start of a roller coaster ride he admits has given him cause to question some decisions, but he wouldn't change anything either.

"When you're at that age your surrounded by people who want to put their two cents in and it's hard to just look within yourself and make a decision based on your own feelings," he says of his initial departure.

"A lot came into it, I was still a young pup, I was still being coached by [former teammates] Dean Young and Benny Hornby and, at that time, I felt I needed to break away and grow for myself.

"I think I was always looked upon as a junior around those blokes and at that time I really needed to go away and spread my own wings and learn a bit about myself.

"It wasn't about [wanting to go] to a different club it was about a growth period for myself. Rugby league-wise, as an athlete, I've ticked every box I can. It's been more of a personal growth period.

"I think I've learned more about myself than anyone probably could in the last few years. It's been good, I don't regret anything."

He reached the finals in all three of his seasons with the Panthers, while he also added a notch to his now seven-Test tally.

Still, when he was deemed surplus to requirements at the foot of the mountains it was a reality check of sorts when only Super League giants Leeds came knocking.

It was a mammoth four-year deal but Merrin said he felt the lure of the NRL just a year into what was a trying campaign with the Rhinos.

It leaves him grateful for the chance to return to Wollongong, but he insists he's not returning with a chip on his shoulder.

"I don't think I have too much to prove to be honest, I've done everything in the game," Merrin said.

"It was a bit of a bitter pill to swallow when I did leave [Australia] but my love and passion was always with the NRL. I didn't think I was ready to go [to England] but obviously circumstances led me to make that decision to go over there.

"It's been a roller coaster last few years but I feel like I've finally found my feet back home. I'm not here to prove anyone wrong or anything like that, my main objective to is be happy, be home with my family and be really proud and passionate back in the red v.

"Back in the day it was about trying to make a name for myself and putting myself forward but now coming back here at a decent age it's about putting the team first and getting the club back to where it needs to be."

The 'decent' age is still only 30 and, while some of those knockers suggest his best football's behind him, Merrin is confident it's still to come.

"It's been a big growth period, I'm probably speaking like I'm 40 but the last few years have taught me a lot," he said.

"It's about being humble and appreciating what we have here. The Dragons have taken a big punt bringing me back home and doing the right thing by me so I'll be doing everything I possibly can to play my best footy."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-done-ahead-of-dragons-second-coming/?cs=3713

BLM01

First Grade
It is good to see the NRL Dragons media getting up to date with a new released video of the 2018 Mudgee Charity Shield preview with Widdop who no longer plays NRL.
A trip down memory lane.....perhaps. The calming news stories before the Storm?
Glad we get to see it now...or did I see it 2 years ago!...
and I keep bagging our media department for their style...who would of thought

getsmarty

Immortal
elff1e-ueaadx5g.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons Team Store 12 days of Christmas special
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 9 Dec 2019, 11:10 AM

As the Christmas spirit grows the Dragons' Team Store is excited to launch their take on the 12 days of Christmas campaign.

Each day there will be a new promotion available online for all members and fans to check out!

To simply celebrate the first day, head to shop.dragons.com.au and place an order for your chance to win a free flexi-three family general admission pass.

Make sure you keep up to date each day with the Dragons' 12 days of Christmas by following the club's social media channels and shop.dragons.com.au

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/12/09/dragons-team-store-12-days-of-christmas-special/

getsmarty

Immortal
sailort-1gp_3834.jpg

DRAGONS

Selfless Sailor happy to wing it for Dragons
Author
Timestamp
Mon 9 Dec 2019, 02:02 PM

Tristan Sailor makes no secret fullback is his preferred position but the versatile speedster's best pathway to a permanent starting spot looks set to be on the wing.

Sailor impressed at fullback on NRL debut this year but fellow rising star Zac Lomax is set to receive first crack at the Dragons No.1 jersey in 2020.

Having inked a new one-year deal last week, Sailor is keen to take on any role in St George Illawarra's star-studded back line to add to his three top-grade games.

"I have been a utility throughout my whole career, I guess, so I'll just work on each facet of every part of the back line and hopefully there's somewhere that I can slot in," Sailor said.

"Whether it's on the bench, wing, centre, fullback, halves, I don't mind. I'm super happy for Zac and if he claims that No.1 jersey it's well deserved."

The 21-year-old's best shot at earning a starting spot appears to be as a winger, where he finished the 2019 NRL campaign.

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor couldn't settle on his flank combination last season, with Mikaele Ravalawa, Jonus Pearson, Lomax, Jason Saab and Jordan Pereira all tried as well.

"I'm happy to play wing, it's such a good position these days. You get to finish tries and those backfield carries are so important," he said.

"I think I can bring the scoot with my game, compared to JP [Jordan Pereira] – he's just a big, solid runner, so it'll be good to mix it up a bit.

"I just keep learning in that position, especially defensively and our systems. Hopefully I can excel at that as well."

Sailor said the Dragons had only offered him a one-year contract but he was content to back his ability and secure his future down the line.

"[It's] just so I can work on my game, improve, and whatever happens, happens," he said.

"We were in negotiations for the whole period and I came into pre-season from the start. It's just good to have another year with heaps of the boys I've come through juniors with."

He made the call to re-sign without much advice from his legendary father Wendell Sailor, the former Broncos and Dragons winger.

"The fact I'm still living with him and Mum probably was the biggest factor in it," Sailor said.

"He didn't have too much of a say, he sort of let me make my own decision and just supported me through it.

"Coming through he always helped coach me but now he's just taken a full step back. Mum helps me with my decisions more probably and then my manager."

Cameron McInnes in focus

After being a key part of the Dragons' Canterbury Cup team that won the minor premiership, Sailor now feels ready to handle the full-time NRL grind.

"I got used to the physicality of Canterbury Cup playing week in, week out, and that was just all I needed to take that extra step I think," he said.

"Coming into this pre-season I've had that experience, so I hopefully can take that to another level and become even more physical in my game."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/12/10/selfless-sailor-happy-to-wing-it-for-dragons/

Dragsters

First Grade
Fox reporting Tyson intends to extend!

TYSON FRIZELL

After locking in Zac Lomax on a monster five-year deal, with an option for a sixth, St George Illawarra are expected to turn their attention to Frizell.

Earlier this season, Frizell was rumoured to be eyeing an early exit from the club, which was denied by the player himself.

Reports have since surfaced linking the NSW Origin forward to the likes of the Sydney Roosters and South Sydney, but he recently declared his intention to extend his stay at the Dragons.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/a35e2f74aecb6f952f3fa8c6ca49c00f

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_0333.jpg

COMMUNITY

Dragons continue to support S2W
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 11 Dec 2019, 12:41 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons, in partnership with the NRL, have assisted over 20 young Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students realise their dream of graduating from high school and moving on to higher education or employment in 2020.

The NRL School 2 Work Program was launched in 2012; the St George Illawarra Dragons supporting the program since 2015

Since that time, hundreds of students have engaged in the program from 16 schools across the Illawarra and South Coast.

The Dragons 2019 Year 12 graduates attended a Dragons training session recently where Indigenous players Josh Kerr and Tristan Sailor as well as NRLW captain Kezie Apps presented students with their graduation certificates.

img_9591-002.jpg

As well as receiving their certificate, students and their family members tried their hand at some traditional Indigenous games.

Students spend two or three years in the program, receiving one-on-one support and encouragement to achieve their HSC goals, as well as guidance in exploring and pursuing their career aspirations.

Students may have finished their high school studies, but they will continue to be supported by NRL School2Work Project Officer Michelle Wilson as they move into full-time work or study.

dsc_0351.jpg

For more information, or to join the NRL School to Work program, contact Michelle Wilson on 0459 875 222 or m.wilson@nrl.com.au.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/12/11/dragons-continue-to-support-s2w/

getsmarty

Immortal
sullivanj-dsc_0459.jpg

DRAGONS

Teen star tipped to be Dragons' best home-grown playmaker
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 11 Dec 2019, 12:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Jayden Sullivan has the face of his father Jason tattooed on the back of his leg as a reminder of the influence he has had on the rise of the 18-year-old some believe could become St George Illawarra's best locally produced playmaker.

Sullivan, who grew up in Port Kembla but calls the nearby Coomaditchie Mission "home", is considered an integral part of the Dragons' future as one of eight players signed for at least the next three seasons, along with Ben Hunt, Paul Vaughan, Tariq Sims, Blake Lawrie, Zac Lomax and Jason Saab.

Rookie centre Shaun Sauno-Esau is the other, and like Sullivan the St George junior is on a development contract and yet to make his NRL debut.

That opportunity could come for Sullivan after June 30 if Ben Hunt or Corey Norman are on State of Origin duty but the teen halfback insists he is in no rush as he learns the ropes from the club's likely next captain Cameron McInness, who has been driving him to training most days.

McInness has taken Sullivan under his wing and he is not only learning what is required to play NRL but "just to be a good bloke" from the 25-year-old hooker he described as "the best bloke ever".

"With me being so young anybody older than me is a role model, even the boys who haven't played NRL yet," Sullivan said.

sullivan-dad-kooriknockout.jpg

Jayden Sullivan and his father Jason at the Koori Knockout. :copyright:Facebook
However, there is little doubt who the NSW under 18s representative and captain of last season's SG Ball-winning Illawarra team looks up to most.

"There are too many good words to describe my father," Sullivan said. "He is tattooed on my leg. I have got his face tattooed on the back of my leg.

"It's not every day you will see a father-son bond that is out of this world but that is what we have got."

Jason Sullivan is an Illawarra rugby league stalwart and some believe he could have played for the Steelers but work and family commitments took priority.

After helping Port Kembla to the reserve grade grand final this season, he played alongside Jayden in the South Coast Black Cockatoos team which won the Koori Knockout in October.

"He didn't get to play that many minutes because of his age but I got to play four games with him and that meant so much to me and my family," Jayden said.

Sullivan is one of nine siblings and he, along with sister Courtney, was raised by his father after their parents separated when he was younger.

"I had a bit of a rough upbringing but that is not anyone's fault and my dad's always been there," he said. "I try not to look backwards. It's like 'Mary' [Dragons coach Paul McGregor] said, 'you can't worry about the past, you have just got to keep moving forward'.

"My family is really important to me and we lived in Port Kembla about three streets away from Coomaditchie where dad grew up. That is always going to be our home, there are a lot of good people in that mission and we'll never not be welcome there."

A representative touch and tag player, Sullivan began playing league as a six-year-old for Berkeley and was a member of a star-studded Collegians team which included Bulldogs recruit Aaron Schoup and Sharks SG Ball squad members Jesse Colquhoun, Max Devlin and Thomas Rodwell.

After captaining the Steelers SG Ball team to premiership success and playing five-eighth for St George Illawarra's under 20s Jersey Flegg team, the Wests Devils junior was signed on a three-year contract from 2020.

"We bought him into full-time training when he finished SG Ball earlier this year to try and help him become more physically advanced than most development players," Dragons director of pathways and list management Ian Millward said.

"He was an integral part of our SG Ball team winning the comp as captain and halfback, and he has got one year as a development player and then two years as a member of our top 30.

"If you are asking whether he could play this year I am past saying 'no'. We all get excited if we can develop a really good halfback because halfbacks are your marquee players.

"He has still got a lot of work to do but we look upon him as a long term Dragon and he is part of our succession plan.

"Of our top 36 players, just over 50 per cent have come through our pathways system and over the past four years we have been averaging 3.5 players making their NRL debut with our club so we are developing players for the game."

Sullivan said his goal was to play NRL next season but at just 80kg he is prepared to bide his time until McGregor believes he is ready.

"I am not in a rush. I want to be the most capable I can be, the best body weight and all of that," Sullivan said. "It isn't just about playing well, you have to train good, you have to eat good and do the work to get to that position in the NRL."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/11/teen-star-tipped-to-be-dragons-best-home-grown-playmaker/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons NRLW: 2019 by the numbers
Author
Alicia Newton NRLW Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 12 Dec 2019, 12:00 PM

St George Illawarra were pre-season favourites heading into year two of the NRL Holden Women's Premiership and looked on track to go from wooden spooners to champions.

Their ability to bounce back from a round one defeat to the Broncos by winning their final two games in convincing fashion should be commended.

However, their grand final performance against the Broncos was anything but satisfying in front of more than 35,000 fans at ANZ Stadium.

It was a statistical success for the Dragons on most fronts during the regular season but when it comes down to the big dance facts and figures can count for nothing.

Dragons 2019: By the numbers
2019-nrlw-dragons.jpg

Snapshot
The Dragons were the biggest recruitment movers in 2019 with just 30% of their squad retained from the inaugural season.

The signings of ex-Broncos premiership-winners Brittany Breayley, Teuila Fotu-Moala, Kimiora Nati, Maitua Feterika and Ngatokotoru Arakua stole the pre-season headlines.

Fotu-Moala's stint on the paddock was short-lived with the Kiwi Ferns international suspended for three weeks after week one, while Nati was absent late in the piece due to illness.

The squad's average player age of 24.3 was the youngest in the NRLW for the second year. They handed debuts to seven women.

Among the youth included Indigenous All Stars representative Shaylee Bent and rising forward Maddison Weatherall.

Former rugby sevens star Tiana Penitani was also a handy acquisition.

2019-nrlw-dragons2.jpg

Attack
The Dragons led the way with 54 points in the regular season, averaging 3.3 tries per game.

Reigning Dally M medallist Jess Sergis topped the NRLW top try-scorers list with three tries.

Dragons outside backs Tiana Penitani and Shakiah Tungai both crossed the line twice.

Former Rooster Botille Vette-Welsh (38) also proved one of the buys of the year, finishing second behind Maitua Feterika for most runs with the Dragons prop leading the competition on 49.

The pair generated a combined 953 metres in three games for the Dragons with Sergis also averaging 157 metres per outing.

The Red V's average of 35.3 tackle breaks per match was the best in the competition with Sergis (20), Botille Vette-Welsh and Kezie Apps (both 15) all in the competition's top five.

St George Illawarra's goal-kicking ranked third with 58.3% with Maddie Studdon and Shakiah Tungai sharing the duties.

Studdon converted at 88% across the three games but wasn't used for the sideline conversions.

2019-nrlw-dragons3.jpg

Discipline
St George Illawarra were the most disciplined team in the regular season with just seven penalties conceded across their three regular-season games.

In return, they were awarded 20 penalties at an average of 6.7 – the most of any side.

The side's missed tackle count was also down on last year and on par with the competition's overall improvement.

Their 23.3 missed tackle average was lower than any other side, while they conceded at least three line breaks per game.

Maitua Feterika had a competition-high 13 missed tackles with Brittany Breayley and Holli Wheeler (both nine) both finished in the top 10.

Breayley finished behind Roosters hooker Nita Maynard with 110 effective tackles.

Jess Sergis (6), Shaylee Bent (5) and Kezie Apps (4) finished in the top 10 for one-on-one efforts.

2019-nrlw-dragons4.jpg

Post contact impact
The Dragons ranked third for post contact metres per game with 259 but still managed to have three players in the NRLW's top five on an individual basis.

Maitua Feterika topped the competition post contact metres with an aggregate of 151 for the season.

Roosters centre Isabelle Kelly (141) and Jess Sergis (123) were next best while Botille Vette-Welsh rounded out the top five with 112 metres at an average of 37.3m per game.

The Warriors averaged the highest total with 294 post contact metres per outing with the winless Roosters next best on 290.

2019-nrlw-dragons5.jpg

Shifting the ball
St George Illawarra dominated this area to be ranked first for shifts with an average of 17.7 per game for the season.

They were left-side dominant with 64% of their ball movement favouring the edge of Kezie Apps, Tiana Penitani and Rikeya Horne.

The shifts to the left generated five line breaks and two tries.

This could be put down to the playmaking options from primary playmaker Maddie Studdon, who played alongside Keeley Davis for three of the side's remaining four games.

Studdon passed the ball 79% of the time from her competition-high 126 receipts.

Breaking down the balance, Studdon kicked the ball 16% of the time generating 556 kick metres while the remaining five percent she took on the line with Davis running the ball from 34% of her touches.

Comparing Studdon to Broncos halfback Ali Brigginshaw - who touched the ball the second-highest amount of times with 115 receipts for the season - the breakdown read 65% passing, 14% running and 21% kicking.

The Broncos (61%) also favoured their left edge but it was more evenly spread between the Roosters (56%) and Warriors (43%) who went more to their right channels.

A competition total of 29% of shifts came from quick play the balls.

The Dragons didn't seem to mind with speed around the ruck, spreading the ball from a slow play the ball on seven occasions.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/12/dragons-nrlw-2019-by-the-numbers/

getsmarty

Immortal
2020 Signings Tracker: Centre set to join Dragons after release from Dragons
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Thu 12 Dec 2019, 09:14 PM

St George Illawarra are set to announce the recruitment of Fiji centre Brayden Wiliame after he was released by Catalans.

Wiliame, who played 29 NRL matches for Parramatta and Manly before joining Catalans in 2017, was contracted to the Super League club until the end of next season but has not been training with the Perpignan-based team while he awaited a release to join the Dragons.

Catalans confirmed his departure on Thursday and announced he had signed with an NRL club.

"Even though we are very disappointed that Brayden is leaving our club, he has our full support,” Catalans coach Steve McNamara said.

Meanwhile, the Eels have signed former Roosters and Knights half Brock Lamb to a two-year deal.

The 22-year-old has signed a development contract for the 2020 season and will be in Parramatta's top 30 squad for 2021.

Lamb will return to the NRL after a stint with the London Broncos in 2019.

Eels halfback Mitch Moses welcomed the competition for himself and Dylan Brown.

"Brock will be really good for us," Moses said.

"He'll give us a lot of depth and really push me and Dyl for positions so if we're not playing good footy there's nor reason why Brad shouldn't put him in.

"It keeps me and Dyl on our toes early in the pre-season, he's going to be pushing us, he's a great player. The Roosters don't sign anyone for no reason and he had that little stint at the London Broncos so he'll be good, it's exciting."

Meanwhile, Canberra junior Matt Frawley will return to the Raiders for the 2020 season on a development contract.

Frawley spent the 2019 season with Huddersfield in the UK after four NRL seasons with the Bulldogs.

Manly prop Martin Taupau has signed a new two-year deal, taking his stint at the Sea Eagles through to 2022.

Young centre Kotoni Staggs has signed a contract extension, making him a Bronco until at least the end of the 2021 season.

Staggs was already signed to the Broncos for 2020 and has chosen to extend that by another year.

The 21-year-old, who crossed for 11 tries in 24 games last season, has played 33 NRL games for the Broncos since making his debut in 2018 against the Roosters.

“To be able to get the starting spot and for [coach Anthony Seibold] to be able to rely on me, I’m grateful for that,” he said. "I come to training and I compete every day and I just love the boys and I couldn’t do it without them."

Eels veteran Michael Jennings has signed a new two-year deal with the club.

The centre, who made his NRL debut in 2007 and has represented NSW, Australia and Tonga, will play on with the Eels through to 2021.

The Rabbitohs have significant spending room under the salary cap after the NRL approved the medical retirement of Sam Burgess, meaning the remaining years of his contract will be excluded from the cap.

The NRL found Burgess's career-ending injury had occurred during the course of his current contract, meaning the club has been granted salary cap relief. The Rabbitohs are interested in signing Titans lock and Queensland forward Jai Arrow as a possible replacement for Burgess.

The Newcastle Knights have confirmed the signing of Broncos centre Gehamat Shibasaki on a three-year deal.

Shibasaki has played 13 NRL games and has represented the Junior Kangaroos and Queensland under 20s. The 21-year-old was granted a release from his Brisbane contract to join Newcastle.

St George Illawarra have re-signed young gun Zac Lomax on a new five-year extension that will keep him in the Red V through to 2025.

Lomax, who is set to start the 2020 season at fullback after spending the bulk of his NRL career in the centres, made his debut as a teenager in 2018.

The Dragons have also signed Lomax's brother Hayden to a one-year development contract extension through to 2021.

Clubs have until March 1 to name 29 players for the coming season, with the final roster spot to be filled by June 30.

Your club's contract list:
Broncos | Raiders
| Bulldogs
Sharks | Titans | Sea Eagles
Storm | Knights | Cowboys | Eels
Panthers | Rabbitohs | Dragons
Roosters | Warriors | Wests Tigers

St George Illawarra Dragons
Senior squad

Player
Contracted seasons
Euan Aitken 2020
Eddie Blacker 2020 2021
Jack de Belin 2020
Matt Dufty 2020 2021
Jackson Ford 2020
Tyson Frizell 2020
James Graham 2020
Jacob Host 2020
Ben Hunt 2020 2021 2022 PO
Josh Kerr 2020 PO
Tim Lafai 2020
Blake Lawrie 2020 2021 2022
Zachary Lomax 2020 2021 2022 2023 2024 2025
Joe Lovodua 2020
Issac Luke 2020
Cameron McInnes 2020 2021
Trent Merrin 2020 2021
Corey Norman 2020 2021
Jonus Pearson 2020
Jordan Pereira 2020 2021
Mikaele Ravalawa 2020
Jason Saab 2020 2021 2022
Tristan Sailor 2020
Korbin Sims 2020 2021
Tariq Sims 2020 2021 2022
Paul Vaughan 2020 2021 PO
New faces
Issac Luke (Warriors), Eddie Blacker, Jackson Ford, Jason Saab (upgraded from development contracts)

Unsigned/Losses
Jeremy Latimore (retired), Gareth Widdop (Warrington), Reece Robson (Cowboys), Steven Marsters (Rabbitohs), Mitchell Allgood, Jai Field, Lachlan Maranta, Patrick Kaufusi, Darren Nicholls, Lachlan Timm (unsigned)

Development contracts

Player
Contracted seasons
Mathew Feagai 2020 2021
Max Feagai 2020 2021
Hayden Lomax 2020 2021
Joe Lovodua 2020
Shaun Sauni-Esau 2020 2021 2022
Jayden Sullivan 2020 2021 2022
Adam Clune 2020

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/04/2020-nrl-rosters-official-squads-announced-for-all-teams/

thebigredv

First Grade
There's a Webster article on smh.com.au that i'd be keen to read if anyone has access to it and can put it here.

getsmarty

Immortal
They should be the NY Yankees': Sydney Kings owner lashes Dragons
f3d0dacee5b0179c7b5b04391b595375649f0c4d

Andrew Webster
Chief Sports WriterSend via EmailLeave a comment

Sydney Kings owner Paul Smith has lashed St George Illawarra for rejecting his $12 million offer to buy a 50 per cent stake in the club, claiming he could have turned it into the “New York Yankees of Australian sport”.

Smith felt his company, Total Sports and Entertainment, was in the box seat late last year to buy out Illawarra’s 50 per cent stake in the joint venture — only to miss out to Bruce Gordon’s WIN Corporation, which had walked away from negotiations in April 2018.

c10b3364293ebc2c6806e1d098f6a7024883d34b

Big year ahead ... For Ben Hunt and the Dragons.Credit:Getty

He had never spoken publicly about the failed Dragons bid until this column cornered him at a recent Kings game. Given some of the grave misgivings Dragons fans have about the running of their club right now, it’s timely.

“We know what we put up: about $11.5-12 million,” Smith said. “The problem is that everywhere we turned, people were questioning our motives. Honesty isn’t highly valued in rugby league, therefore integrity is a cheap thing to trade out.

“I realise now that, notwithstanding the troubles the club has had, it would’ve been a disaster with us because I would’ve been dealing in a straight-up manner. We would have butted heads with St George Leagues club, who would have treated us like we were beneficial but not important.

"We could have done a good job with the Dragons. It is one of the great sporting brands in Australia. It should be the New York Yankees of Australian sport. It should be up there with Collingwood. But it's not."

WIN Corporation has never revealed what it paid to take part-ownership of the club. The sum is rumoured to be $10 million, although some parties believe it is much less.

Money aside, it’s how the club has been run since Gordon’s son, Andrew, became chairman and the man he replaced, Brian Johnston, became chief executive, that has Red V fans most aggrieved.

Make no mistake: no club is under more pressure in 2020 than the Dragons. Coach Paul McGregor is fighting to save his job; the careers of Ben Hunt and Corey Norman are at a crossroads; the recruitment of veterans Trent Merrin and Issac Luke is puzzling; and all this on top of Origin forward Jack de Belin facing court in early February on rape charges.

Not buying the Dragons has meant Smith can focus on the Kings, who crashed to two losses last weekend but still lead the NBL with an 11-3 win-loss record.

Smith, who hails from the South Coast, remains a Dragons fan — but is wary of becoming involved again in rugby league.

“If you were going to find something that equates to the old Labor left of NSW, rugby league is where they live,” he said. “They are the greatest haters and they never forget. That’s the trouble with some sports. They carry these things in their backpacks forever and they never let it go.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ngs-owner-lashes-dragons-20191212-p53jd4.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Brayden Wiliame departs Catalans
Matthew Shaw December 12, 2019

Catalans Dragons have confirmed the departure of Brayden Wiliame as he prepares for a move to the NRL.

The outside back is set to take up a contract with St George Illawarra Dragons after Catalans confirmed his departure.

In three years with the club, he scored 30 tries in 72 appearances.

“First of all I want to thank Bernard and the coaching staff for giving me the opportunity to come to the Dragons back in 2017,” he said.

“It’s been an experience I’ll cherish forever. Thank you to the members and fans for the endless support the past three years. And lastly to the players and families, thank you for making my family and I feel welcome from the start.

Steve McNamara added: “Whilst we are very disappointed that Brayden will leave our club immediately, he does so with our full support.

“We completely understand his reasons for asking for the release and the opportunity which he has in front of him for both himself and his family. Brayden will be a big loss to our team, his commitment and development as a player at Catalans has been a pleasure to see and he will always be remembered as a player who gave his all in every game. We wish him and his family well for the future.

“Our search for a replacement will begin and we will look domestically in France, England and the Southern Hemisphere for the right player.”

https://www.totalrl.com/brayden-wiliame-departs-catalans/

getsmarty

Immortal
Brayden Wiliame heads to NRL after leaving Catalans

12th December 2019 Drew Darbyshire Super League 0

Brayden-Wiliame-Catalans-RLPhotos-678x381.png

Catalans centre Brayden Wiliame has left the club immediately and is expected to join NRL side St George Illawarra Dragons.

The 26-year-old has been with the Dragons since 2017, scoring 34 tries in 77 appearances for the club.

A Fiji international, Wiliame is expected to sign for NRL outfit St George Illawarra ahead of the 2020 campaign.

Catalans coach Steve McNamara said: “Whilst we are very disappointed Brayden will leave our club immediately, he does so with our full support.

“We completely understand his reasons for asking for a release and the opportunity which he has in front of him for both himself and his family.

“Brayden will be a big loss to our team, his commitment and development as a player at Catalans has been a pleasure to see and he will always be remembered as a player who gave his all in every game. We wish him and his family well for the future.

“Our search for a replacement will begin and we will look domestically in France, England and the southern hemisphere for the right player.”

Wiliame added: “I want to thank Bernard (Guasch, chairman) and the coaching staff for giving me the opportunity to come to the Dragons back in 2017.

“Its been an experience I’ll cherish forever. Thank you to the members and fans for the endless support over the past three years.

“And lastly to the players and their families, thank you for making making my family and I feel welcome from the start.”

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/brayden-wiliame-heads-to-nrl-after-leaving-catalans/

getsmarty

Immortal
dorahyj-8301bw-1.jpg

ON THIS DAY

NRL.com's On This Day: Steelers get green light
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Fri 13 Dec 2019, 06:00 AM

On this day, Clive Churchill leads Kangaroos to a big win, the Steelers get the green light and the High Court rules the NSWRL transfer system invalid in the famous Dennis Tutty case.

Arthur Summons was born. One half - the halfback - of the famous "The Gladiators" photo at the end of the 1963 grand final, Summons spent four seasons with Wests, culminating in the loss to Norm Provan's St George side at the SCG.

After representing the Wallabies during his stint in rugby, Summons also played for Australia's rugby league team in nine Tests in the early 1960s.

After having already lost the Ashes series 2-0, Clive Churchill’s Kangaroos score their biggest win over Great Britain in 40 years, when they win a violent third Test 27-7 at Odsal Stadium.

The match becomes known as the “Battle of Bradford” and features a series of unsavoury incidents and punch-ups. Australian prop Duncan Hall is the only player sent off, although several others are considered lucky not to have been marched.

tutty-rpla-players-champion08-1.jpg

Dennis Tutty at the 2018 RLPA awards. :copyright:NRL Photos
In an historic decision, the full High Court of Australia rules the NSWRL’s transfer system invalid. The system had been challenged by Balmain forward Dennis Tutty, who showed considerable fortitude to pursue the action which cost him two years of his career and possibly a premiership with Balmain in 1969.

Scott Sattler was born in Sydney. A super-fit back-rower who played 203 first-grade games during stints with the Gold Coast, Roosters, Crushers, Panthers and Wests Tigers, his most remembered moment was his famous tackle on Roosters winger Todd Byrne in the 2003 grand final which helped propel Penrith to their upset win.

The son of Rabbitohs legend John Sattler, he played one game for Queensland in 2003.

Illawarra become the 13th team to be included in the 1982 premiership through a vote of the NSWRL general committee. A team representing Canberra are named the 14th team early in 1981.

James Tamou was born in Palmerston North. After making his debut with the Cowboys in 2009, the towering prop spent eight seasons with the club and was a key member of their 2015 premiership-winning team.

His long list of achievements includes World Cup and State of Origin victories, as well as success in the Auckland Nines and World Club Challenge, and an NRL premiership with North Queensland Cowboys. Tamou relocated from Townsville to Penrith to join Panthers in 2017 and became captain two years later.

The Don Furner-coached and Wally Lewis-led Kangaroos complete the second successive undefeated tour of Great Britain and France with a 52-0 romp in the second Test against France at Carcassonne.

The Adelaide Rams are announced as the 10th franchise holder in Super League’s proposed competition.

ARL QC Bob Ellicott asks the Federal Court to prohibit News Limited from starting up a Super League competition anywhere in the world to prevent “inventive minds” from circumventing court orders by playing matches overseas.

The Sunday Telegraph reveals that Ben Elias will stand for the Balmain board. Elias suggests the Tigers should scrap plans of a merger with Western Suburbs and form a “super club” with Sydney City and Souths.

South Sydney president George Piggins vows not to watch another NRL match until the Rabbitohs are readmitted to the competition.

The English Academy completes a historic 2-0 series defeat of the Australian Schoolboys with a 22-12 victory at Headingley.

Former Test coach Wayne Bennett launches a scathing attack on his successor Ricky Stuart amid accusations of a binge drinking culture within the Australian team under Bennett’s control.

bennettw-4042202.jpg

Former Kangaroos coach Wayne Bennett. :copyright:NRL Photos
“Don’t tell me that Ricky Stuart or somebody else is going to do a better job because they drink with the boys and the boys will behave themselves better because they’re drinking with them,” he said. “Just look at the Sydney Roosters’ track record over the last four or five years with some of their behaviour and you tell me whether that approach works or not.”

Sydney Roosters hooker Jake Friend is charged by police for a third alcohol-related incident in the space of 12 months. He is later sacked by the club before eventually being reinstated.

Parramatta officially part ways with centre Timana Tahu while representative winger Eric Grothe announces his retirement after 142 NRL games.

Boom Canberra youngster Anthony Milford confirms he will remain with the Raiders in 2014 despite a get-out clause in his contract that would have allowed him to return to Brisbane to be with his sick father.

Sydney Roosters fullback Michael Gordon finalises a two-year deal to play with the Gold Coast from 2018. Meanwhile, veteran Cronulla forward Sam Tagataese signs a one-year deal with the Broncos.

This article contains information from the official records of NRL historian David Middleton.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/12/13/nrl.coms-on-this-day-steelers-get-green-light/

getsmarty

Immortal
dragons_1nh_7464.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons try meditation in bid to improve mental toughness
Author
Timestamp
Fri 13 Dec 2019, 02:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra players have turned to kelee meditation practised by surfing champions Mick Fanning and Stephanie Gilmore to help improve the team's mental toughness.

The Dragons finished 15th after a disastrous 2019 campaign marred by a huge injury toll and the uncertainty over the future of star forward Jack de Belin but players admit there can be no excuses next season.

An end-of-season review resulted in eight changes to the coaching and training staff, including the appointment of 2016 Cronulla premiership-winning mentor Shane Flanagan as an assistant to Paul McGregor.

Flanagan is due to officially start with the Dragons next week after completing a 12-month NRL-imposed ban, which precludes him from taking on a head coaching role for a further two years.

The Dragons have also engaged Gerard Murphy of Leadership by Design to aid a clearer focus in culture and leadership and mind and performance coach Matt Griggs.

Murphy has worked with the likes of West Ham, the Great Britain Olympic team, England rugby league and rugby union sides and AFL clubs Geelong, Richmond and Port Adelaide, while Griggs has been involved with world champion surfers Mick Fanning, Tyler Wright and Stephanie Gilmore.

A former professional surfer, Griggs teaches a five-point holistic high performance model, and is also facilitating lessons on Kelee meditation for St George Illawarra players.

Griggs uses meditation to inspire greater self-awareness and detachment of mental limitations that steal energy and compromise performance.

Dragons centre Tim Lafai said mental lapses during games had cost the team dearly last season and was an area they were working to improve.

"I think we will be doing a lot of work on that, not just the physical side of things but the mental side of things on and off the field, through workshops and culture groups and things like that," Lafai said.

"You can see already just the maturity of the young boys, they are really eager and the older blokes are leading by example."

With the likes of Tyson Frizell, Paul Vaughan, Ben Hunt, Corey Norman, Tariq and Korbin Sims, Cameron McInnes and James Graham in their squad, the Dragons have been widely criticised for their performances last season.

In many games, they either started well and fell away and came from behind in the second half but lacked consistency over 80 minutes and across the season.

"That is a question we were all asking ourselves," Lafai said.

"We have got the squad and the depth so it is just a matter of fixing the things that we need to bring out the best in each player because individually we have got some great players.

"I think a lot of it in those games was to do with our mentality and our toughness.

"You could see in a lot of our games we would start poorly and then in the second half we would start so well – there is just a gap there and I think it has just got to do with our mental approach and just the toughness of staying in those games."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/13/dragons-try-meditation-in-bid-to-improve-mental-toughness/

BLM01

First Grade
dragons_1nh_7464.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons try meditation in bid to improve mental toughness
Author
Timestamp
Fri 13 Dec 2019, 02:01 PM
walterbrad-head.png

St George Illawarra players have turned to kelee meditation practised by surfing champions Mick Fanning and Stephanie Gilmore to help improve the team's mental toughness.

The Dragons finished 15th after a disastrous 2019 campaign marred by a huge injury toll and the uncertainty over the future of star forward Jack de Belin but players admit there can be no excuses next season.

An end-of-season review resulted in eight changes to the coaching and training staff, including the appointment of 2016 Cronulla premiership-winning mentor Shane Flanagan as an assistant to Paul McGregor.

Flanagan is due to officially start with the Dragons next week after completing a 12-month NRL-imposed ban, which precludes him from taking on a head coaching role for a further two years.

The Dragons have also engaged Gerard Murphy of Leadership by Design to aid a clearer focus in culture and leadership and mind and performance coach Matt Griggs.

Murphy has worked with the likes of West Ham, the Great Britain Olympic team, England rugby league and rugby union sides and AFL clubs Geelong, Richmond and Port Adelaide, while Griggs has been involved with world champion surfers Mick Fanning, Tyler Wright and Stephanie Gilmore.

A former professional surfer, Griggs teaches a five-point holistic high performance model, and is also facilitating lessons on Kelee meditation for St George Illawarra players.

Griggs uses meditation to inspire greater self-awareness and detachment of mental limitations that steal energy and compromise performance.

Dragons centre Tim Lafai said mental lapses during games had cost the team dearly last season and was an area they were working to improve.

"I think we will be doing a lot of work on that, not just the physical side of things but the mental side of things on and off the field, through workshops and culture groups and things like that," Lafai said.

"You can see already just the maturity of the young boys, they are really eager and the older blokes are leading by example."

With the likes of Tyson Frizell, Paul Vaughan, Ben Hunt, Corey Norman, Tariq and Korbin Sims, Cameron McInnes and James Graham in their squad, the Dragons have been widely criticised for their performances last season.

In many games, they either started well and fell away and came from behind in the second half but lacked consistency over 80 minutes and across the season.

"That is a question we were all asking ourselves," Lafai said.

"We have got the squad and the depth so it is just a matter of fixing the things that we need to bring out the best in each player because individually we have got some great players.

"I think a lot of it in those games was to do with our mentality and our toughness.

"You could see in a lot of our games we would start poorly and then in the second half we would start so well – there is just a gap there and I think it has just got to do with our mental approach and just the toughness of staying in those games."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/13/dragons-try-meditation-in-bid-to-improve-mental-toughness/
Aha..so that is what has been missing the past 4 years or so and explains the fade outs, losing games in the past few minutes, poor game plans, poor defensive structure on the edges, one out attack and lack of communication within...
We should of been meditating! :rolleyes:. Even those that it wont suit will have to meditate....as it is not for everyone.
But hey..that will fix everything that has been wrong on game day.....FMD
Its almost like the Dragons think they are being innovative in doing this and it will magically save Mary's behind...do anything than look at the core, desperate times, desperate trials
Worked wonders for the Warriors...for the 1st 7 or so rounds of 2018.
Who in the club wanted this story to get out to the media I wonder............

hewi

Bench
Maybe the coach could meditate throughout the whole game and someone else could be in the coach’s box pulling the strings?