What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles

LINESPEED

Juniors
McGregor also conceded their poor start to the season, along with the shortened schedule, meant he would approach the restart with a clean slate.

That includes the possibility of shelving pre-season plans to establish youngster Zac Lomax at fullback and instead push him back to the centres.

OK so the preseason & Rd 1&2 didn’t happen in the McFail universe where nothing’s learned, nothing’s gained

So what’s the “shortened schedule” got to do with coaching to win games
(are we hearing the ‘disruption’ excuse evolving?)

And Zac won’t get No3 while The Loved One’s arse’s pointing to the ground - as we used to say.

And the clean slate referred to must be his last CATscan

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
'Jack's part of our top 30': Dragons defend de Belin bubble plan

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has defended the decision to include Jack de Belin in their COVID-19 bubble, declaring he's still a part of their top-30 NRL squad.

The future of the stood-down Dragons star is in limbo after the coronavirus pandemic delayed his rape trial until next month.

Yet the former State of Origin forward was still registered among the maximum 50 players and staff allowed access to training and game day.

McGregor said de Belin's inclusion left the door open for his possible return and would help his mental wellbeing.

"It's a combination of all that. But the most important thing, Jack's a part of our top 30," McGregor said on Friday.

"So the guidelines were he would still be included. He's got a court case coming up as we know in June, as well as the welfare around Jack."

The choice to keep de Belin came at the expense of a number of the Dragons' development players, including boom centre Shaun Sauni-Esau.

Rising winger Cody Ramsey, who shot to fame during February's NRL Nines, wasn't considered after having major shoulder surgery before the lockdown.

"We had to make a decision that three players miss out ... so making that phone call was difficult," McGregor said.

"To the players' credit, they really understood that it wasn't our decision. It was a decision from the NRL around the importance of trying to limit the coronavirus with minimal players and staff available."

McGregor also conceded their poor start to the season, along with the shortened schedule, meant he would approach the restart with a clean slate.

That includes the possibility of shelving pre-season plans to establish youngster Zac Lomax at fullback and instead push him back to the centres.

"We're two days into a three-week pre-season, so I'll have a better gauge next week in what sort of condition [players are in] after we do a lot of contact," he said

"But it's certainly a really nice headache to have with quality players available in the fullback position and the centre position as well.

"Being away from football for five weeks and picking it up again, you really want to simplify the game. So there'll be some tweaks in our system."

Plans have also begun on how the club will use the salary cap space left by Tyson Frizell's decision to leave the club at season's end.

First-grade regulars James Graham and Tim Lafai are also off-contract, as well as Euan Aitken and de Belin.

The club re-signed promising forward Jackson Ford during the shutdown, and have been impressed with summer recruit Tyrell Fuimaono.

"[Ford] finished the season playing the last five games last year, and he's a likely replacement [for Frizell] right now going forward," McGregor said.

"Tyrell we signed this year, he played round two against Penrith and was one of the better players on the football field.

"So they're two players currently in our squad that we look forward to fill that Tyson position."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/jack-s-part-of-our-top-30-dragons-defend-de-belin-bubble-plan-20200508-p54r4p.html
Is his trial scheduled for June or is the matter up for mention and the finalisation of admissible evidence etc? (sorry if the terminology is incorrect but hopefully people know what I mean)

My understanding is that was what was on the agenda when it was last delayed and even if that had finalised back then the trail was to be held around November.

If the trial is in June then I understand (not necessarily agree) the decision to include him but if the trial is to be circa November then the decision is flawed IMO.

If we are serious about season 2020 and being 0 - 2 in a shortened comp you need every player in the squad to be able to play at a moments notice.

qld redvee

Juniors
Well how can you defend the ramblings of our supercoach ?? JDB still part of his plans - and is prepared to waste a spot in the remote hope that the court case happens before seasons end So no cap relief and we are effectively now playing with 29 .. HOW does the board agree for that to happen ?????/
then it mentions lomax maybe going to centre - what has suddenly changed ?? -
and he will tweak our system to simplify it - well we have a basic game plan now so how do we simplify it any dumber ?
and its a clean slate for supercoach when the season restarts -- WTF
and surprise surprise we have quality players in fullback and centre positions and its a nice selection headache to have ......... Lomax is the only quality centre we have and Duffty is the only fullback who supercoach doesnt really rate so what is this statement really say

So depressing no confidence from supercoach just the usual dribble... I think the forum titled sack mcgregor is going to be swamped with this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well how can you defend the ramblings of our supercoach ?? JDB still part of his plans - and is prepared to waste a spot in the remote hope that the court case happens before seasons end So no cap relief and we are effectively now playing with 29 .. HOW does the board agree for that to happen ?????/
then it mentions lomax maybe going to centre - what has suddenly changed ?? -
and he will tweak our system to simplify it - well we have a basic game plan now so how do we simplify it any dumber ?
and its a clean slate for supercoach when the season restarts -- WTF
and surprise surprise we have quality players in fullback and centre positions and its a nice selection headache to have ......... Lomax is the only quality centre we have and Duffty is the only fullback who supercoach doesnt really rate so what is this statement really say

So depressing no confidence from supercoach just the usual dribble... I think the forum titled sack mcgregor is going to be swamped with this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How can you simplify a game plan that every coach in the competition knows even better than McGregor?
In fact they (opposing coaches) rub their hands with glee when they play us because we are so predictable and easy to defend against,
Having a boring and staid game plan is one issue but we are not even well drilled and cohesive.
I suppose the stats tell the whole sorry story.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Correct me if I am wrong but DeBelin's case is due for mention in June (delayed from April) and the trial is in December.

Unless there is something they know but we don't, the decision to keep him in the squad seems bizarre.

Further the mention of 3 that missed out (of the squad) were SSE, Ramsey (due to injury and surgery) and ?? I'm guessing it would have been Zac's brother, but does anyone know for sure?

LINESPEED

Juniors
How can you simplify a game plan that every coach in the competition knows even better than McGregor?
In fact they (opposing coaches) rub their hands with glee when they play us because we are so predictable and easy to defend against,
Having a boring and staid game plan is one issue but we are not even well drilled and cohesive.
I suppose the stats tell the whole sorry story.

Well I’d say the tweak is playing Aitken at No 4 instead of No 3 WTF

Dragonsamy

Bench
Correct me if I am wrong but DeBelin's case is due for mention in June (delayed from April) and the trial is in December.

Unless there is something they know but we don't, the decision to keep him in the squad seems bizarre.

Further the mention of 3 that missed out (of the squad) were SSE, Ramsey (due to injury and surgery) and ?? I'm guessing it would have been Zac's brother, but does anyone know for sure?

It is Hayden .
Ramsey out for most if the season recovering from a shoulder operation
i

Last edited:

Banjo2014

Juniors
2020 De Belin case:

Look speaking as an old law enforcement dude.

My understanding is that the victim was 19 at time of incident.

The matter is set for December????

No way will his legal team let that happen.

It will be adjourned for as long as it can go.

Much better to have a 23 year old in the witness box - preferably a 24 year old than a teenager or 20 year old.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
'No problem with it': Dragons open door for young gun to boost wounded Warriors
Sarah Keoghan
May 22, 2020 — 4.53pm

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has given the green light for young gun Eddie Blacker to head to the Warriors on a loan deal to boost their injury-ridden roster.

McGregor said on Friday that the 20-year-old had been linked to the New Zealand side, which has been hit by a flurry of injuries.

b1be26dda93a03282c457398a665b927846b3cb7

Eddie Blacker in action during their trial match against the Knights in Maitland.Credit:Getty

"First of all, it's got to be in the best interest of our club, our team and the person," McGregor said. "If all them three are in a line in that order, I see no reason why it wouldn't be a good thing."

The Warriors are based on the Central Coast after being forced to relocate to Australia before the May 28 restart date due to border closures.

Initially, the NRL did not approve the Warriors' request for temporary loan players but the club hopes head office will change its mind given the circumstances.

The wounded Warriors signed Raiders forward Jack Murchie on Wednesday night for the rest of the season. He is there only signing since the injuries struck.

Bunty Afoa, Leeson Ah Mau, Jazz Tevaga, Jackson Frei and Adam Keighran are all out of the side due to injury. The club is running out of time to secure players before their match against the Dragons on May 30.

'I know what they're feeling': Warriors eye Murdoch-Masila, Eisenhuth in loan deals
"There's a lot of things that would need to happen first in ways of, as I said, it can't be a negative on the team, a club or the player himself," the Dragons coach said. "He's got to want to do it and then it comes down to who looks after the injury of the player if he gets injured, the payment of the players.

"There's a lot of things that haven't been talked about but certainly, if it all aligned well and it was in the best benefit for everyone, I've got no problem with it."

On Thursday, the Herald reported the Warriors had also targeted Ben Murdoch-Masila and Matt Eisenhuth as potential loan signings.

Wests Tigers made history as the first club to secure a loan deal when they took Storm hooker Harry Grant as a swap for Paul Momirovski.

This week, Cronulla legend Paul Gallen offered to come of retirement for the Warriors, a move backed by Sharks coach John Morris.

"I messaged him yesterday and said 'mate, we might be playing you in a few weeks' and had a bit of a laugh," Morris said on Friday. "It is a great gesture by Gal, it doesn't surprise me. I think it is just a sign of the footy community coming together to help a fellow club out. The sacrifice the Warriors have made is absolutely huge to get this game back going again."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/no...o-boost-wounded-warriors-20200522-p54vkw.html

'No problem with it': Dragons open door for young gun to boost wounded Warriors
Sarah Keoghan
May 22, 2020 — 4.53pm

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has given the green light for young gun Eddie Blacker to head to the Warriors on a loan deal to boost their injury-ridden roster.

McGregor said on Friday that the 20-year-old had been linked to the New Zealand side, which has been hit by a flurry of injuries.

b1be26dda93a03282c457398a665b927846b3cb7

Eddie Blacker in action during their trial match against the Knights in Maitland.Credit:Getty

"First of all, it's got to be in the best interest of our club, our team and the person," McGregor said. "If all them three are in a line in that order, I see no reason why it wouldn't be a good thing."

The Warriors are based on the Central Coast after being forced to relocate to Australia before the May 28 restart date due to border closures.

Initially, the NRL did not approve the Warriors' request for temporary loan players but the club hopes head office will change its mind given the circumstances.

The wounded Warriors signed Raiders forward Jack Murchie on Wednesday night for the rest of the season. He is there only signing since the injuries struck.

Bunty Afoa, Leeson Ah Mau, Jazz Tevaga, Jackson Frei and Adam Keighran are all out of the side due to injury. The club is running out of time to secure players before their match against the Dragons on May 30.

'I know what they're feeling': Warriors eye Murdoch-Masila, Eisenhuth in loan deals
"There's a lot of things that would need to happen first in ways of, as I said, it can't be a negative on the team, a club or the player himself," the Dragons coach said. "He's got to want to do it and then it comes down to who looks after the injury of the player if he gets injured, the payment of the players.

"There's a lot of things that haven't been talked about but certainly, if it all aligned well and it was in the best benefit for everyone, I've got no problem with it."

On Thursday, the Herald reported the Warriors had also targeted Ben Murdoch-Masila and Matt Eisenhuth as potential loan signings.

Wests Tigers made history as the first club to secure a loan deal when they took Storm hooker Harry Grant as a swap for Paul Momirovski.

This week, Cronulla legend Paul Gallen offered to come of retirement for the Warriors, a move backed by Sharks coach John Morris.

"I messaged him yesterday and said 'mate, we might be playing you in a few weeks' and had a bit of a laugh," Morris said on Friday. "It is a great gesture by Gal, it doesn't surprise me. I think it is just a sign of the footy community coming together to help a fellow club out. The sacrifice the Warriors have made is absolutely huge to get this game back going again."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/no...o-boost-wounded-warriors-20200522-p54vkw.html
Best for the club and the individual? Why not send Graham to the Warriors and give Blacker his chance in First Grade with St.George? If he does any good at the Warriors, we will lose him.

getsmarty

Immortal
dragons-deject-200319_gt_.jpg

DRAGONS

Perform or you'll be punted: Mary puts Dragons on notice
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 27 May 2020, 05:53 PM

St George Illawarra have ratcheted up their physical intensity at training after a simple ultimatum from coach Paul McGregor: perform well or lose your spot.

After two frustrating losses to begin the season, Dragons players have revealed McGregor put the side on notice by declaring no one is guaranteed selection, regardless of reputation.

McGregor has already made some tough calls with veterans Issac Luke, Trent Merrin and Tim Lafai not named in his 17 to face the Warriors at Central Coast Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

"Anyone's not really safe is what Mary [McGregor] was saying, the way he put it," bench prop Josh Kerr said.

"[In the past] he sort of has shown a bit more faith towards those boys that have done all the hard work before, in terms of they've earned it.

"... If one of the older boys, more experienced boys has not had the best game, he'd give them another chance next week because he knows they've done it before.

It looks like you may be using adblocking software to view this site.

Many features on the site, such as video playback, may not work properly when using adblocking software.

Please whitelist our domain or disable your adblocker to access all features and videos.

McGregor: November Origin a boost for Dragons

"But we're at a point now where if you're not performing, you're just out. And to be honest, I think it's probably the best thing.

"Because everyone is just - I wouldn't say scared - but they're just a bit more worried about making sure they're doing everything at 100%."

Kerr said there was "a lot of healthy competition throughout the club", with the training field now the main arena for many players to impress the coaching staff after the second-tier Canterbury Cup competition was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Everyone's going hammer and tong at training," said Kerr, who considered the likes of Merrin and Jacob Host unfortunate to miss selection for round three having been "outstanding".

Utility forward Tyrell Fuimaono elaborated on the brutal sessions.

"Honestly, these last two weeks we've been smashing each other. I've been as sore as I've been post-game. We've actually been smashing each other," Fuimaono said.

"I think it's the best prep that we can get having had that break of no contact, to go from 0 to 100 real quick. That's the mindset that we took on board, training like we're going to play.

"There's a few boys that lead the way when it comes to that. I know big Taz [Tariq Sims], he doesn't shy away from contact. He loves to bang as well. Friz [Tyson Frizell] goes good.

"I think the middles as a group, now that we have two full teams competing against each other [at training], it's almost like a personal competition to bring it and set the standard."

Asked if the heated scrimmages have boiled over into a scuffle, Fuimaono quipped: "Bully [Luke] keeps getting a bit cheeky, I think a few guys are going to sort him out if he keeps carrying on the way he does. But not yet unfortunately."

It looks like you may be using adblocking software to view this site.

Many features on the site, such as video playback, may not work properly when using adblocking software.

Please whitelist our domain or disable your adblocker to access all features and videos.

Round 3 - Cordner among big names set for return

Meanwhile, captain Cameron McInnes is confident he'll be fine to play the whole match at hooker in his return from a knee injury.

"This week coach has decided that it's best to keep the one hooker in the squad and have a different make-up on the bench," McInnes said in reference to Luke's omission.

"I was ready for anything but I've played three years now, 80 minutes at hooker, so it's not going to be anything new to me to do that this week."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/05/27/perform-or-youll-be-punted-mary-puts-dragons-on-notice/

proxy-image

draco

Juniors
Canterbury coach Dean Pay facing axe as Bulldogs prepare for fellow battlers St George Illawarra

Not for the first time, Dean Pay’s head is on the chopping block at Canterbury – with the under-pressure coach facing the end after Sunday’s dismal defeat to Manly, unless he can pull off a miracle.

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay faces being dethroned on the Queen’s Birthday if his players can’t conjure a win this weekend.

Influential figures at Canterbury, including large chunks of the 1200 football club members who vote on board elections at AGMs, are becoming agitated after three successive losses to start the year.

Pay is off contract following this season and the pressure on him will significantly increase if the Bulldogs can’t beat fellow strugglers St George Illawarra at Bankwest Stadium on Monday.

Phones were running hot among powerful figuresat Canterbury after Sunday’s 32-6 loss to Manly at Central Coast Stadium.

While an appetite for change is growing, it is unanimously accepted at Belmore that Pay is coaching an inferior roster.

Canterbury’s board would be reluctant to sack Pay mid-season, even if results don’t improve. Instead, they would just not re-sign him for next season.

It is understood directors want a final decision on Pay’s future no later than round 10.

If the Bulldogs don’t beat the Dragons, they will meet reigning premiers the Sydney Roosters the following week facing a 0-5 start to the season and Pay would be firmly in the crosshairs of football club members and fans.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor is under the same pressure as Pay to keep his job, so one of them is going to be under more scrutiny at full-time on Monday afternoon.

Former Sharks premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan and ex-Bulldogs champion Phil Gould have been mentioned as possible recruits.

Canterbury would need to lobby Peter V’landys for a reduction in Flanagan’s NRL-imposed suspension, which doesn’t end until after next season.

Gould, who played and coached at Belmore, could be an option as a coaching director.

In one week, Canterbury have drifted from $201 to $301 with the TAB to win the premiership. That puts them rank outsiders alongside Gold Coast in the betting.

It is understood Pay’s future has not been formally discussed by the board but chairperson Lynne Anderson and CEO Andrew Hill did not return calls on Monday to clarify the situation.

Pay has been frustrated by the Bulldogs’ inability to find suitable players to fill positions at fullback, wing, centre, the halves and hooker.

“It’s been a tough few years for Dean,” three-time Canterbury premiership winner David Gillespie said.

“Canterbury’s roster simply hasn’t been able to compete with the top sides. You can’t throw all the blame on the coach. I’d give him more time to build the roster.

“Dean is a good coach and I know he works his backside off and deserves success. I hope it comes this year.”

Another former Bulldogs champion, Michael Hagan, agreed.

“I always liked how Dean played and I like the way he goes about things,” Hagan said.

The liked and respected Pay was signed by the previous board and last year the present board extended his tenure by a season.

Canterbury haven’t won a premiership since 2004 and have not reached the finals for the past three seasons.

While fans aren’t blaming Pay for previous failures, they are becoming increasingly frustrated by the lack of success.

The Bulldogs have some serious money to spend on players for next season and remain in contention to sign Canberra forward John Bateman.

Fellow Englishman Luke Thompson has signed a three-year deal with the club from next year.

The TAB had Canterbury as $1.85 favourites yesterday to beat the Dragons ($1.95).

The Bulldogs will welcome back the experienced Kieran Foran from injury for the vital match but are still reeling from the losses of Jayden Okunbor and Corey Harawira-Naera, who were deregistered in March for off-field misbehaviour.

After Canterbury made just one linebreak against Manly on Sunday, Pay said: “We need to be better next week.

“We’re not building any pressure. We all need to be doing a better job than we’re doing.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s.../news-story/954b806297d8e31454c175c10f7e1b53|

blue bags

First Grade
clarkt-h1_rc2_0540.jpg

DRAGONS

From a short fuse to leader: Teina Clark's hard road to the top
Author
Alicia Newton
Timestamp
Mon 13 Aug 2018, 11:13 AM

St George Illawarra recruit Teina Clark is aware people in the women's rugby league circle may know of her story.

It was five years ago Clark was involved in an incident with former professional boxer Lauryn Eagle during a club match in the Illawarra competition.

The NSWRL handed down a six-month suspension to the then 25-year-old, who was just 24 hours out from flying to England in preparation for a World Cup debut with New Zealand.

Clark won't go into detail of what exactly happened but maintained her regret as she battled a long road of self-discovery.

"The hardest part was accepting it, I won't forget what I'd done and why I did it," Clark tells NRL.com.

"I let my Kiwi Ferns teammates down. I still have my 2013 jersey, the only thing I haven't done is worn it.

"It took me down a dark path where I didn't care about footy, I didn't care about anyone – myself and family included. I was silly then, had a short fuse. I was pretty bad."

Clark's parents had had enough of her immaturity at the time and demanded her to reach out for help.

She stopped playing the game following her suspension to focus on herself.

"Both Mum and Dad are strict but supportive. Dad is the main mentor, critic – pretty honest though," Clark said.

"My doctor was really good, he said to me whatever has happened in the past has done for my own good.

Harvey Norman Women in League Round - Annette Busch and Alan Tongue

"You can use that in any context as a positive or negative in life. I used that as I didn't get to go to England so that must have been a sign.

"It changed me in a way where it made me grow up a bit. It opens your eyes that there are consequences for your actions. That was the biggest learning curve that I've experienced in my life."

After serving her suspension, Clark got into coaching to share her knowledge with young female players coming through the system in Sydney's west.

"We had some rough girls coming through in that team, but just to get them away from their family troubles and off the streets for a couple of nights a week was good," Clark said.

"I tell the young ones that are rough like me that you don't want to be like old me. There is a balance you need to adjust to. Everyone thinks that I am tough. When I play I can be rough but when it's over, I'm soft off the field."

At 29, Clark admits she may be past her prime, but the NRL Holden Women's Premiership has sparked a new fire in her belly.

Introducing the Women's St George Illawarra Dragons

She made her debut with the Jillaroos in 2007 but was eligible to switch allegiances to New Zealand for the 2013 World Cup.

"I think I peaked early in my career, very early," Clark said.

"Back then we had nothing, we had to pay to play. I feel like a veteran now. We've come a long way to the day we had to pay for our own bus trips.

Greenberg talks Harvey Norman Women in League Round

"I'm grateful to be back in the mix, down for the ride."

Clark's belated dream of representing the Kiwi Ferns could come to fruition with a Test match against the Jillaroos likely to happen in October.

She'll use her stint at the Dragons as a stepping stone for higher honours.

"Hopefully I do well this campaign and pull that black jersey on," Clark said.

"If I am successful it would be my parents' dreams come true. It would be an honour and bring relief. I would make up for lost time."

And this time if successful, she'll use her last five years of life experience to make sure it happens.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...-to-leader-teina-clarks-hard-road-to-the-top/

images
lauryn-eagle-14b3c0fb-c38a-4664-931f-3f5739444c4-resize-750.jpeg

Latest posts