What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ARU to target league players if Tuquri returns

knights 2004

Juniors
what are your thoughts?
ill stick to my old ones.

what does this say about their junior development?
havent they got any good kids coming thru or something?
if they spent the 5 billion dollars they spent on lote.rogers.sailor on junior development, wouldnt that be a wiser long term decision?

Booyah

Bench
Things can't be as good as they reckon if they feel the need to continually raid our ranks to win.

You'd feel pretty pissed off if you were a Junior Rah Rah and couldn't make the Wallabies because some League Blow-in was taking your spot.

This move by the ARU reeks of desperation.

fillapop

Juniors
Booyah said:
Things can't be as good as they reckon if they feel the need to continually raid our ranks to win.

You'd feel pretty pissed off if you were a Junior Rah Rah and couldn't make the Wallabies because some League Blow-in was taking your spot.

This move by the ARU reeks of desperation.
well if u look at the wallabies now it hasnt really happened.......yet!!

t-ba

Post Whore
LoL...

They raid anything...Manly Reserve Grade...South Africa...Brisbanes Garbage (*cough* Wendell *Cough*)

rugged

Juniors
Oh well, years of union players going to league for the money.

The league players might as well take advantage of it now.

JK

Wendall wasn't up to scratch when he left so good riddance.

Lote was the only real loss. Rogers was too injured and both Walker and Blacklock returned after getting their heads screwed on again.

OVP

Coach
please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please

take ryan cross :lol:

Zodiac

Juniors
This is the Zodiac speaking. tuquri shoold make up his mind and stick with one coad.

Yours truley:

He plunged himself into the billowy wave and an echo arose from the suicide's grave
titwillo titwillo titwillo

They may get a couple of players to come over and play a season or two, but the message it will send to kids tossing up whether to play Union or League will be pretty clear...unless they are private school, daddys BMW driving tossers in which case they will stay in union for sure.

Short term fix possibly, long term bad call

Tighthead

There's another thread on this issue, but I'll repeat what I said there. Rugby is now a professional code, and they should be entitled to seek . players from wherever they want.

Rugby League has been 'poaching' rugby union players for a hell of a lot longer than the other way around. I for one have no problem with a flow between both games. Each game has something to offer.

JW

Coach
Each game has something to offer.

Yes, of course. Matt Dunning would have no problems getting through his first set of six in defence :lol: ;-)

Cheers.

Simo

First Grade
Tighthead said:
There's another thread on this issue, but I'll repeat what I said there. Rugby is now a professional code, and they should be entitled to seek . players from wherever they want.

Rugby League has been 'poaching' rugby union players for a hell of a lot longer than the other way around. I for one have no problem with a flow between both games. Each game has something to offer.

As far as i know this is incoprrect. The Rugby League governing body has never to my knowledge chased a Union player, bought him under the e.g. NRL contract and then decided which club to put him in.

Individual clubs have chased players looking to streghten there ranks but not the governing body trying to get publicity.

Tighthead

As far as i know this is incoprrect. The Rugby League governing body has never to my knowledge chased a Union player, bought him under the e.g. NRL contract and then decided which club to put him in.

Individual clubs have chased players looking to streghten there ranks but not the governing body trying to get publicity.

Look at my comments in the other thread. Professional rugby union players are contracted to their s12 provinces and their national body. Different forms of administration, both of which have upsides and downsides. Is any player contracted to the NRL?

Yes, of course. Matt Dunning would have no problems getting through his first set of six in defence

I doubt that there are many forwards who could make a successful transition between the codes without a lot of work, and even then, usually only backrowers would have a chance. There would be (and has been in the past) plenty of backs who have been successful at both codes.

Thomas

First Grade
Simo said:
Tighthead said:

Yes, but the NRL also has a clause stating that Union players under the age of 21 are exempt from the salary cap.

Simo

First Grade
Thomas said:
Simo said:
Tighthead said:

Yes, but the NRL also has a clause stating that Union players under the age of 21 are exempt from the salary cap.

Only added in the last couple of years to try and stop John Oneils plan of raiding League players. Has never been a policy of the NRL before the ARU decided it wanted to buy '50' (remember the hit list ) league stars.

legend

Coach
If you read today's paper Tuqiri virtually says he is leaving union to return to league. I'll see if I can find the article but all the references to rugby were in the past tense.

He'll be a Bronco next year for sure and I think Rogers will be playing five eighth for the Sharks as well.

legend

Coach
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,9427682-23209,00.html

Tuqiri fears Test axe
By Peter Jenkins
April 30, 2004

HOT property Lote Tuqiri will understand if Wallaby selectors dump him should he announce next month he is returning to rugby league.

Tuqiri is wanted by both codes and is poised to make a decision on his future for 2005 and beyond when the Super 12 series ends.

Three weeks later the Wallabies open their international program with two Tests against Scotland and a World Cup final rematch with England.

While Tuqiri admits he is under no obligation to make an early call on where he will be playing his football next year, he wants the issue settled.

He is also prepared to accept any possible consequences on the Wallabies front should the winning bidders be league.

Asked by The Daily Telegraph yesterday to consider the hypothetical scenario of a Wallaby ban if he reveals he is heading back to the 13-man code, Tuqiri said: "I'd be gutted. But they've got their own agenda there and I couldn't fault them. They would obviously be looking to the future.

"Obviously I'd like to play those Tests [regardless of the decision]."

Tuqiri confirmed he had a private leaning towards one code over the other at present.

"But it doesn't necessarily mean anything," he said.

"I just have to see what happens on the management side of things and how offers come and go.

"It's a long time [four weeks] before the end of Super 12."

There has been speculation that a late charge by the Waratahs to the Super 12 title might help keep Tuqiri in the game.

"Winning it would be great," he said. "It would be a positive but it's not going to have the final say.

"I'll just go over things in my mind, take it up with family, and see how it goes from there."

Earlier, Tuqiri was at a loss to explain remarks by Brisbane Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen in yesterday's Daily Telegraph.

"It's common knowledge in Brisbane that he [Tuqiri] thinks league is a better game than rugby," said Cullen.

"He has told his mates there is too much standing around doing nothing in rugby compared to league."

Tuqiri responded by saying: "I don't know where he's got that from.

"Obviously they're trying to push their barrow. Everyone's trying to push their barrow. They can say what they want.

"I know what I want and I'm probably not going to say that until after Super 12. But I enjoy playing both games."

Tuqiri denied being in the spotlight was a distraction as the Waratahs head into the final two rounds needing two victories to ensure a semi-finals berth.

"I find it easy to let myself go on the footy field and at training," he said.

"In the quiet times you think about it but I just want to play footy."

The Daily Telegraph

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think he looks much better in a blue jersey, than a maroon one.

He will probably wear a blue RL jersey, when hell freezes over.

Thomas

First Grade
"Earlier, Tuqiri was at a loss to explain remarks by Brisbane Broncos chief executive Bruno Cullen in yesterday's Daily Telegraph.

"It's common knowledge in Brisbane that he [Tuqiri] thinks league is a better game than rugby," said Cullen.

"He has told his mates there is too much standing around doing nothing in rugby compared to league."

Tuqiri responded by saying: "I don't know where he's got that from."

I like that one. Its kind of funny seeing the stories that abound when a player is reviewing his future.

How about we wait until the end of the S12, when he makes a decision before speculating.

Latest posts