What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As a Kiwi, I can honestly say

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
SpaceMonkey said:
So? McGuire's a big boy, can't he look after himself? Why does he need Senior to wipe his arse for him? Senior didn't rush in to break it up either, he came in throwing punches and kept on with it afterwards squaring up to Matai. He totally deserved to be binned.

No, McGuire isn't a big boy lol. There was nothing doing and Matai was just going to belt him for more or less no reason (NZWarrior reckons there was a knee, I'd say accidental at best- and the ball to the head was a pretty sufficient retaliation). When an opposition player has just (a) thrown the ball at the head of one of your smallest teammates, and (b) is stalking said teammate, about to smash him, despite having already sconed him with the ball, and with little or no provocation, of course you're going to throw one.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Matai's hardly a collossus either... McGuire should still have been able to look after himself, I mean FFS Webb's squared up to Morley hasn't he?
Senior still went looking for it and carried it on, and consequently seserved binning.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
SpaceMonkey said:
Matai's hardly a collossus either... McGuire should still have been able to look after himself, I mean FFS Webb's squared up to Morley hasn't he?
Senior still went looking for it and carried it on, and consequently seserved binning.

The whole "look after yourself" thing is a bit of a nonsense. When do 2 guys ever slug it out on the field while the other teammates stand and watch?

I think the so-called "3rd man in" is entitled to come in swinging if one of his teammates has copped a raw deal. This wasn't a case of a legitimate fight, it was simply Matai attacking McGuire.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
If the 3rd man in comes in to break it up fine. If he comes in throwing punches he's turning a square go into two on one and deserves what he gets.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Wasn't a square up though, for mine. Was one bloke shaping up to smash a scrawny opposing half who he had already nailed with the ball with apparently no provocation.

But who really cares anyway :p

Nook

Bench
Let's be serious for a second.

Matai is a dirty little mug.

I like him as a player and he's been great this Trinations but he's an angry little merkin and one day he'll be on the end of a terrible beating which he fully deserves.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Nook said:
Let's be serious for a second.

Matai is a dirty little mug.

I like him as a player and he's been great this Trinations but he's an angry little merkin and one day he'll be on the end of a terrible beating which he fully deserves.

He earned his apprenticeship playing between Terry Hill and John Hopoate, what do you expect?! :lol:

Bob8

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
I'm embarrassed. We've deadset paid off the refs.

That no-try call against Raynor was terrible and we're getting the rub of the green generally.

With the Matai-Senior incident, it was clearly all Matai's fault. The guy is an absolute lunatic and we were damn lucky to end up with even numbers on the field AND get a penalty out of it.

Even if we win (and never underestimate our ability to choke) I'm not feeling good about it.

The ref is just one of the conditions.

New Zealand were by far the better team and have beaten GB&I twice out of two, and on each case deservedly so.

Congratulations on the win.

Nook

Bench
He earned his apprenticeship playing between Terry Hill and John Hopoate, what do you expect?!

Indeed.

And like those blokes, despite his obvious talent, if he doesn't sort himself out he'll end up costing teams more games than he wins.

It really is a bit sad seeing a good young footballer act like such a tosser. 95% of them carry themselves so well on and off the field - look at blokes like Halatau who play the same aggressive little man game without the unnecessary agro.

ozbash

Referee
NZ Warrior said:
If I saw correctly, McGuire carried on with the tackle and ended up kneeing Matai in the face. I think that's a fair enough reason to be a bit filthy.

well saw. livened up the game a bit. so far we,ve had biff in every game.

as it should be :cool:

dazza

Staff member
raynor lost the ball!!! ffs, whoever thinks any different, watch the replay again. then if you still think it`s a try, go to your local eye doctor & get a pair of coke bottle glasses, cause you sure need them.

interesting to hear the manly supporters thoughts on steve matai. imo, we need someone like him in the kiwis. bit of mongrel about him. doesn`t take a backward step.

jeez the poms have morley, feilden(although he got decked with 1 punch), dirty mongrel senior, peacock. aussie`s got mason.

and another thing, whats with the hand between the legs & lifting in the tackle, nearly every time, by the poms. morley & co around the neck, practically every tackle.

lay off steve, he`s doin a fine job, & if senior is worried about getting squirted with some water, well, say no more.

cheers dazza

ps 34-4

Micistm

Bench
I agree with NZ warrior...don't feel good about it? I feel damn good about it. The Kiwis have a few decision go their way (when on many other occasions they don't) and the Tall Poppies come out and whine.
The had to come out and win, and win well. Give them a little credit for that- After all the off field antics of their Dickhead management they have done extremely well to give themselves a slight chance. That could all turn to custard next week- I have a new found respect for the Poms, the fight in all three sides makes for a great comp...but I'm happy with the result.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Matai is the man, yes there was a knee to the face by McGuire everyone who's saying Matai was chasing him around is exegerrating it. Then you see Senior run in with a blind shot on him.

Like I said in the other thread its good to see a lil fiesty kid like Matai in the Kiwis.

MKEB...

Staff member
It was right in front of me, Matai just stalked after him in a menacing looking march. I didnt think either player deserved to go to be honest. We all thought that the Raynor try should have been given. Good god, you should have heard the poms bleating in the pub afterwards about the Pryce no-try, I wonder how different their rules are to us, that was blatently a shepherd.

Micistm

Bench
It was a deliberate shepherd, it was so obvious it was painful. It looked like american football for a second. To whine about that is amazing.

borntoride

Juniors
i didn't think kidwell was being held back or anything, he just seemed to run into wellens, i thought if he had made an effort to he could have got to where pryce was without too much difficulty, he just seemed to run into wellens, for my money it was a poor decision. Raynor try dissallowed hmmm, not the prettiest grounding but better than a lot i've seen given, and as far matai well he's a very passionate young man! Senior should have let him do what he was intending to then would have been down to 10 men, pritchard had a bit of a ball throwing session as well which the ref conveniently ignored despite the earlier incident.

borntoride

Juniors
maybe we can expect a new standard in RL from now on, if you get a standard play of the ball penalty you get a free hurl the ball at the defending players noggin! ;-)

Latest posts