What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ASEAN Rugby League kicks off

adamkungl

Immortal
The Watch NRL model unfortunately was incredibly short sighted by the NRL and much like the models that the NRL attempted with Telstra and Perform Sports before they streaming games for free on Livestream it is a very small ex-pat audience that can both afford and is willing to take it up.

In terms of "Foreign policy" of a pro sports organisation, WatchNRL is the worst i've ever seen. Diabolical stupidity.

Dedicated volunteers trying to push into South American and African nations and the NRL is trying to charge them 2 months salary to watch a sport they've never heard of.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
@yak Haven’t got a lot of knowledge of Yunnan, was planning to travel there a few weeks ago but had to cancel our trip because foreigners weren’t allowed in the hotels booked ...(full refund and everything...sigh).

From an ASEAN point of view down south would certainly make sense. I don’t think there are many expats in Yunnan, although I could be wrong - Nanning would certainly have a presence.

In terms of down south, I reckon Guangdong could be a decent place to have a crack;
- Huawei is based there. They are massive and have a history of sponsoring sports in Australia and the Pacific.
- Guangdong is a bit of a sports hot spot - 3 of the CBA teams are based there plus a number of CSL teams.
- If Hong Kong ever truly get rolling they have a ready made local rival as Shenzhen literally straddles the border.
- Lots of expats and a massive population in the 90 million mark.

Although not sure of the union presence. A good point about Yunnan is that they have hardly any representation in major sports here.

As an aside, there is a little Australian enclave down south in Guilin around the town of Yangshuo (Guangxi province). We’ve stayed there before above an Australian pub and the whole town was packed of Aussies. We went for the scenery and were surprised at the expat community.

@manurewa yep some of the crowds are big - Beijing Guoan, Jiangsu, and Guangzhou Evergrande regularly get crowds in the 40k range. I believe Jiangsu was averaging around 55k a few years ago but it’s dropped off. I’ve only been to games in Shandong Province (At Jinan). A relatively small well-off province with a population around 100 million. The games I’ve been to were around 20k.

That's interesting!

Second your opinion on Guangzhou, Shenzhen etc.

Made me chuckle about Yangshuo, these unheard of cities with more people than our countries haha

yakstorm

First Grade
Thanks guys, really appreciate your opinions.

Just some new ASEAN RL news:

NRL Indonesia formed & Nines tournament announced for Bali:
https://www.aseanrl.com/2019/03/28/bali-to-host-inaugural-indonesian-nines-this-october/

So amazingly back in 2010 an Under 16s tournament was played in Bali. Now despite the then IRLF falling over, a number of those participants didn't fall out of love in the game, and now almost a decade later those players are behind the new NRL Indonesia Federation.

The NRL Indonesia Federation will look to run a club competition this year as well as the International Nines in November.

Poland set to tour the Philippines
https://www.aseanrl.com/2019/03/28/poland-announces-tour-of-philippines/

Last year's ENWC say the Philippines and Poland clash in the tournament Trophy Final. After the match (which Poland won 14-10) both nations agreed to try and help each other out a bit more.

Well this is Poland fulfilling their part of the agreement with a Rep team set to tour in October.

Japan launches Junior Academy
https://www.aseanrl.com/2019/03/28/japanese-rugby-league-launch-junior-academy-in-tokyo/

JRL's first true venture into trying to sell the code to the youth of Japan. The South Ikebukuro Rugby League Academy will host training sessions for Primary & Secondary students twice a month.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I've always wondered how Bali and Indonesia never kicked anything off despite being infested with wealthy Aussie expats

Great news Yak
not to mention West Papua, you would think there must be some RL played given how popular it is in PNG

Latest posts