What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashes squad

Helmet Man

Juniors
Just what we need a 35 year old David Hussey with an average technique with the ball is moving. Well I can see this one working....

Ferguson, Joe Burns, or that Tasmanian opener who got a ton in the final (name escapes me)...would all be better options.

Imo Dave Hussey's best format is tests. He's had good success in England.

Helmet Man

Juniors
I don't like the look of openers batting at #5 or in the lower order. That includes Phil Hughes, Dave Warner and Khawaja.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I don't like the look of openers batting at #5 or in the lower order. That includes Phil Hughes, Dave Warner and Khawaja.

Yeah I agree.

Though M Hussey was an exception. Went from opener to middle order.

Not many others have done it successfully.

Mr Spock!

Referee
I wonder if Sidds or Harris makes the first test.

Pattison, Starc, Bird have done well.

Lyon with his straight breaks picks himself.

1. Watson
2. Rogers
3. Hughes
4. Clarke
5. Khwaja
6. Smith
7. Haddin
8. Starc
9. Pattinson
10. Lyon
11. Bird

Could be the first test.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Imo Dave Hussey's best format is tests. He's had good success in England.

No it is not now, it was, but it isn't at his age. Lets not forget his abysmal Shiel stats, lets not forget he was expose Internationally before and above all, there are better batsman available.

unbreaK

Juniors
Haven't been following the Australia A and Australia warm-up games too closely, but from what I hear and read I'm guessing the first test line-up will probably be:

1) Watson
2) Rogers
3) Hughes
4) Clarke
5) Khawaja
6) S.Smith
7) Haddin
8) Starc
9) Pattinson
10) Harris
11) Lyon

Helmet Man

Juniors
Yeah I agree.

Though M Hussey was an exception. Went from opener to middle order.

Not many others have done it successfully.

Michael Hussey is definitely an exception. He was the most versatile and the most complete batsmen in his time i reckon. He could bat anywhere from #1 down to #7 without a problem.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Demoting an inform Hughes for an out of form Cowan would be terribly stupid. Lehmann said he'd put weight into the results of the warm ups, hopefully he realises our two biggest talents should be at 3 and 4, Hughes and Clarke.

Cowan shouldn't be in the team but if he is he should be the one at 5 or 6.

Cowan was dropped on 0 and still couldn't get past 30 odd. He can't even perform against mediocrity. There is no way he should be batting at 3.

Last edited:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Hughes is not a test no 3. He should take what ever he can get.

This times 1000. Hughes is barely a test cricketer, and I mean barely. He would be a good number 4 or 6 though in this series. I am more confident with Cowan blunting the ball early on the Hughes.

TheParraboy

Staff member
This times 1000. Hughes is barely a test cricketer, and I mean barely. He would be a good number 4 or 6 though in this series. I am more confident with Cowan blunting the ball early on the Hughes.

Im sure he can run him out early, but that might be a criminal offence :lol:

Red Bear

Referee
Cowan isn't a test anything.
Cowan averages 32.9, Hughes 33, so there's really a bees dick between them at present. Hughes more talented, Cowan better mentally at this point. Cowan has more runs than Hughes since Hughes got recalled for the Sri Lankan series as well.

They've also never had to not select Cowan because they wanted to protect him from facing good quicks.