What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashton Sims/Peter Wallace

Hey guys, before I start talking about this thread I'd just like to introduce myself. It might be hard to believe, but I'm a die-hard absolutely obsessed broncos fan from Sydney (I know). I just joined this forum, because I can't speak to anybody about the broncos down here, it's only the eels/bulldogs/dragons.

Now back to my post. I was completely gutted last year when Ashton Sims, dropped that ball in the prelim final, not upset with him, just upset that our boys had to go out that way, especially after quite obviously being the better team on the field for the 79 minutes and 20 seconds. But last night, I think ashton had redeemed himself, I mean the passion and the emotion that he played with, was something I have never seen in him. He belted Justin Poore (rep prop) every time and didn't hold back. I know we have a real crisis in the forwards especially the props, but if all the forwards played like sims did last night, we wouldn't need to worry. I hope he continues this type of agressive play next week against the storm, god knows we will need it. The likes of Lima,Blair,Tolman, Tandy will test us to the end. Lets just hope we can exact some revenge on them for last year!

In my opinion, I think we should put Ben Hunt at 5'8 with Darren Lockyer at halfback, I know everyone has opted for gorrell/marsh/hunt/taylor etc, but I think that we shouldn't weaken other positions to accompany another, Ben Hunt has been playing superbly in the under 20's, although this is the nrl, and it could be a nightmare for him. As long as Ben Hunt sticks to a strict game plan that assists Locky, by taking some pressure of him in attack and defence, I think they will do just fine. Provided he gets back in the groove and synchronises well with Locky, he should go alright. Lockyer, mccollough and hunt should share the majority of kicking duties in that order and our forwards need to step up a level above what they did against the dragons if we are going to be any match, we need to keep the ball away from slater and protect locky in defence, so he has some room to move in attack, they should also put hodges on Inglis, he did a terrific job defending him in last years heartbreaking loss and another thing is in defence shift folau to the wing for winterstein, because last night winterstein could have cost us the game had we not been so lucky on some of the high balls.

Anyways I reckon it's going to be an Eels/Broncos grand final.

What you guys think? Comment, I would love to hear other opinions.

Oh and btw sorry for writing an entire essay, it's my first post and yeah I'm pretty excited to be a member of this forums, CYA! :)

TD09

Juniors
Gday mate. I am quite new to this forum as well, and like you love the Broncos as well.

Very much agree on Ashton Sims, I love the guy (based on potential that is), good to see him finally living up to it. He has the potential to be one of the best second rowers going round I believe.

Also think we have to throw Ben Hunt in, but I think at half back. Locky will play as major ball player no matter what number he wears, but I dont think we want to move Hunt, Taylor or McCullough, as we are weaking a second position by doing that.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Ben Hunt to 7 for sure, Gorrell would be a HUGE mistake !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hunt and McCollough have an understanding from u 20s and the kid would fire alongside a team brimming with confidence.:D

hellteam

First Grade
Ahh yeah I have been knocking Sims all year but after last night he definitely has redeemed himself what a game. Man of the Match in my opinion his aggresion really set up the game.

And yes I agree Ben Hunt is the best option. The biggest shame with Wallaces injury is that it will affect the 20s as well. They were in with a big chance to make the grand final (still are) but will find it tough without their halfback like our NRL team will.

johnnyg

Juniors
I seen a change in Ashton when I watched them play against the Panthers @ Suncorp. He played very well that day.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
it's taken sims a long time to find his feet and it finally culminated in the eprformance on sat. i hope he plays consistently well though. i thought he was poor last eyar but had been a lot better this year and i've been confused why he's been left out of the team so much.

my first thoughts when wallace went down was to play taylor at 5/8... i still think it may be an idea

Joker's Wild

Coach
I think playing Hunt would be a huge mistake. He has been pretty poor for you guys in his 2 FG appearances and it would have a massive effect on your U20s team to boot.

Move McCulloch to half and bring in PJ.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I think playing Hunt would be a huge mistake. He has been pretty poor for you guys in his 2 FG appearances and it would have a massive effect on your U20s team to boot.

Move McCulloch to half and bring in PJ.

That would be even worse than bringing in Hunt. McCullough has found his feet at hooker now and we don't want to change that. Plus Marsh can't play 80 mins so that means we would have to bring in Gorrell onto the bench too or have Glenn play alot at hooker.

BronxFan

Juniors
Everyone keeps talking bout how bad Hunt's games have been so far but i think it was due to the team around him. He basically played with a 20's/ reserve grade team both times and we were expected to get smashed both times. I say give him a go now that we are basically full strength in other positions.