What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asotasi

rabbitohs95

Bench
He's quite solid as of late, takes up the ball and makes tackles, only cons i can see in his game are the very rare silly penalties and handling, used to be injury prone but i suppose that was part of our weaker management in years gone by.

IMO he'll be a good quality prop for you guys, glad he signed with a team i like too. Good luck Roy, thanks for everything you've done for us mate!

Last edited:

Packy

Bench
Honestly - he had a few shitty years most likely due to the injuries he was having. He's never come back to what he started out as but he is a very good and would make 17 in most if not all NRL teams. He's not as explosive as he used to be but does what he is told and will behave himself.

Great guy too.

redandgreenduck

Juniors
Sad day for Souths....while he is not the player he was in his earlier years he will be a gun in Super league.

Had an unfortunate run of injuries but has been solid the past few years and still has plenty to give.
Souths have more than enough front row talent with the Burgii and Starling set to cement spots after Lima pushes on after next year.

I am sure we can send you out a premiership winner Roy and us Souths supporters will never forget the risks you took leaving the dark side and making ours and Rusty's vision come true.:thumb

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Roy is a champ.

We will miss him on and off the field.

Wrapped he will be playing on on the SL and not going to another NRL club.

Rabbitohs to Farewell Roy Asotasi at Season’s End
Words: Rabbitohs Media Release I Photos: nrlphotos.com
Tuesday 2 July 2013 8:30 AM

The South Sydney Rabbitohs will farewell former captain and current international front rower Roy Asotasi at season’s end, with Asotasi announcing that he will join English Super League giants, the Warrington Wolves, for the 2014 and 2015 seasons.
Asotasi, 31, has played 122 NRL games for the Rabbitohs to date since round one, 2007, in a career which currently spans 206 first grade games.
Asotasi has also played 25 Test matches for New Zealand and Samoa over the past decade, having become the first Rabbitohs player to captain two different Test playing nations, and is set to captain Samoa at the Rugby League World Cup later this year.
Asotasi won a premiership with the Bulldogs in 2004 before joining the Rabbitohs in 2007 when he was widely regarded as the best prop forward in the world.
Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson paid tribute to Asotasi and his contribution to South Sydney.
“Roy started the revolution at the Rabbitohs when he signed with us back in 2006 and we will never forget that,” Mr Richardson said.
“Roy was the best prop forward in the game at the time and his faith in the vision for the Club has led us to where we are heading now.
“Along with Roy came the likes of David Kidwell, Nigel Vagana and Dean Widders, and following him came players of the calibre of Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess, Michael Crocker and Matt King. He has also helped develop the talents and leadership qualities of the likes of Issac Luke, John Sutton and Adam Reynolds.
“Roy has played well over 100 first grade games for this Club, overcome some tough battles with injury, captained the Club for a number of seasons, and has given 100% every time he’s pulled on the red and green jersey.
“Roy is one of our forward leaders and will always be remembered as such, and now he has an opportunity to extend his career at a quality English Club in Warrington.
“Roy will always be remembered as one of the players to set us on our current path, as a person who has helped take us from the doldrums on the field to a position where we are a contender for the premiership, and hopefully we can send him out on the right note at the end of the year.
“We wish him and his young family the best of luck in England next year, and we look forward to seeing him represent South Sydney on many more occasions this year.”
Rabbitohs Head Coach Michael Maguire says Asotasi has played a large role in mentoring many in the current South Sydney squad.
“Roy’s professionalism really stood out for me when I first came to Souths,” Coach Maguire said.
“You could really see the passion that he had, and still has, for the Club. He wanted the Club to progress in the right direction and he’s played a huge role in helping us take that direction. He’s a very loyal person; he shows great loyalty to what we’re trying to do here.
“He’s been a major part of the leadership here at Souths, and he’s been a very big part of the development of a lot of our players’ careers over the years.
“With Roy, it’s always about the team, and he will do everything possible to achieve the best for the Club and for his mates.”
Asotasi says he’s looking forward to the rest of this season with the Rabbitohs before beginning a new adventure in England.
“I’ve loved every minute of playing at the Rabbitohs and the ride certainly isn’t over yet,” Asotasi said.
“I can’t wait to run out there with the boys this weekend in Perth and hopefully many more times for the rest of this season.
“I’ll always think of myself as a South Sydney boy, and I’ll be looking forward to the next chapter of my career once this season comes to a close.
“We have much more to achieve at this Club and the job isn’t done yet. I’m looking forward to playing my part for the rest of the year.”
Biography:
Name: Roy Asotasi
Date of Birth: 6 January 1982
Place of Birth: Auckland, NZ
Junior Club: Marist Saints
Position: Prop
Height: 181cm
Weight: 108kg
NRL Clubs: Bulldogs (2002-06), Rabbitohs (2007-current)
NRL Games: 206 (122 for the Rabbitohs)
NRL Points: 80 (from 20 tries, including 48 for the Rabbitohs from 12 tries)
NRL Debut: Bulldogs vs Raiders, Canberra Stadium, 25 August 2002 (Rd 24)
Rabbitohs Debut: Rabbitohs vs Roosters, Aussie Stadium, 19 March 2007 (Rd 1)
Rep Honours: One Test for Samoa (2013); 24 Tests for New Zealand (2004-09). First Rabbitohs player to captain two Test playing nations.
Premierships: One (Bulldogs – 2004)

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news-display/Rabbitohs-to-Farewell-Roy-Asotasi-at-Seasons-End/78445

Roy Asotasi to leave South Sydney

South Sydney stalwart Roy Asotasi is heading to England to play Super League Picture: Brett Costello Source: The Daily Telegraph
SOUTH Sydney veteran Roy Asotasi will leave the NRL at season's end to join English Super League club Warrington.

The 31-year-old front-rower has signed a two-year deal with the Wolves from 2014, the Rabbitohs announced today.

Asotasi has played 206 first-grade games since making his NRL debut in 2002 - 122 of them for South Sydney.

He's also played 25 Tests for New Zealand and Samoa, who he is set to captain at this year's rugby league World Cup.

Rabbitohs chief executive Shane Richardson said Asotasi kick-started the club's “revolution” when he joined them back in 2007.

“Roy was the best prop forward in the game at the time and his faith in the vision for the club has led us to where we are heading now,” Richardson said.

“Roy is one of our forward leaders and will always be remembered as such, and now he has an opportunity to extend his career at a quality English Club in Warrington.”

Asotasi said he's looking forward to beginning his new adventure in England but added the ride is not over with the Rabbitohs.

“I'll always think of myself as a South Sydney boy, and I'll be looking forward to the next chapter of my career once this season comes to a close,” the prop said.

“We have much more to achieve at this club and the job isn't done yet. I'm looking forward to playing my part for the rest of the year.”

Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire praised Asotasi's professionalism and his part in mentoring several players in his current ladder-leading squad.

“He wanted the club to progress in the right direction and he's played a huge role in helping us take that direction,” Maguire said.

Asotasi will join his teammates in Perth this week ahead of Sunday's match against the Warriors.

AAP

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-leave-rabbitohs/story-fnca0von-1226673068131

Bumble

First Grade
This is a bit sad - was the first signing we made that really made people take notice that we weren't the same basket case we were from 1990-2006.

Hope we send him out a winner!

the dude

Juniors
Thank you for everything Roy, you're a champion.

Nothing would be better for him to go out with a 2nd premiership.

Isaaxe

Juniors
Big Sam - you are wrong about Roy.

Just as well he has stayed around at Souths.

The form of Tom and George Burgess is an example of
a great mentor in Asotasi.

The fact that Roy is on the same training field as these Burgi has led to
the younger players - even Tyrell learning heaps.

Madge also has gained much from Roy being here.

Latest posts