What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assess our chances for the 8.

franklin2323

Immortal
The fact we're even in with a fighting chance is MASSIVE improvement to last season - With some more luck with injuries and some decent players coming into the fold I expect a comfortable 8 spot next season

I agree it's a massive improvement.

Though we get injuries in the centres or front row we are gone. Plenty of Wingers and backrowers though

betcats

Referee
I agree it's a massive improvement.

Though we get injuries in the centres or front row we are gone. Plenty of Wingers and backrowers though

What do you mean? Grant Plum Latimore Anderson Mckendry have all been injured this season and Brown only plays left centre to cover for injuries and he has been there a lot this year.

The Whare-Simmons combo has been healthy though.

Edit: Did Mose miss some games as well?

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
Of course our injuries were bad though we had a squad of 30 or so without real stars. We were 4 deep in props for starters same with backrow. No centres, established fullback or even much half depth

We have been fortunate that we have no halves or hooker depth and been able to pick the same players week in week out for that.

like we have had

4. Whare
5. Simmons
6. John
7. Walsh
9. Kingston
14. Segeyaro

Since round 7. Like we lost Plum and could call on 40 odd FG gamer Latimore. So yes injures while being a pain we have been fine in key positions.

F/A and losses against average teams will be our downfall. Still better then last year and I said early on 10 wins should be the aim and we got that.
Agree about the average losses, the Tigers one being the stand out. I don't think the first one was such a bad loss because we had a whole bunch of injuries in that game. The second loss though, arrrgggh!

Like you, I am a big fan of building the team around the key positions, but you haven't mentioned what happened during the year. We started the season with Coote at 5/8 and Whare at number 1. Both of those positions for different reasons, had to be replaced. The new 5/8th, a certain Mr Humble, played a few games then he got injured, then eventually we got our third 5/8th of the year. John is a rookie and it has taken him all season to find his feet and start playing consistently and for the other players to build a rapport with him. Nobody's fault, just circumstance. I'm sure we would have had a better year if Coote was fit and got a full season at 5/8.

As for the number 1, he was replaced by Naquima, who got injured, who was replaced by Moylan, who got hooked because of second tier restrictions. Eventually Moylan got a steady run of games, but he is a rookie.

When you look at it, we have filled the number 1 with Coote, Moylan, Whare and Naquiama and the number six with Coote, Humble and John. I can't agree that we have been stable in the key positions of one and six, it has been a revolving door. However, we have been solid at 7 and 9.

BTW I think it's great when Panther fans don't let the club off with excuses for poor performance. There has been too much of that in the past and is part of the reason we have ended up only winning two premierships.

franklin2323

Immortal
What do you mean? Grant Plum Latimore Anderson Mckendry have all been injured this season and Brown only plays left centre to cover for injuries and he has been there a lot this year.

The Whare-Simmons combo has been healthy though.

Edit: Did Mose miss some games as well?

I went for next year. We get Kite lose Masoe and as bad as he is Ciraldo has been prop. So 1 down.

Our centres next year are:

Whare
Tighe
Roberts (maybe)
Naiqama.

So injures and we will be back to Brown or another backrower there.

franklin2323

Immortal
BTW I think it's great when Panther fans don't let the club off with excuses for poor performance. There has been too much of that in the past and is part of the reason we have ended up only winning two premierships.

I am like that you watch most of our losses we had enough ball to win jsut for whatever reason didn't. We train as a squad no reason we can't win as a squad

Early on we had to set up combinations. So it's expected. when we switched Whare (As should of been the case all year) we have had only John and Walsh halves. Hookers in place. Moylan bar that 1 game he had to be dropped. Now replaced with a more experienced 1.

No surprise we have won 9 from 16 in that time given the core of the team was steady

maple_69

Bench
I think we'll be alright with prop depth next year. Kite, Grant, Mckendry, Plum in first grade and backed up by Anderson, KOD, Latimore as well as Manu and Docker being capable of playing prop.
Centre is shaky but we will have Peachy and Naiqama over what we have this year.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think we'll be alright with prop depth next year. Kite, Grant, Mckendry, Plum in first grade and backed up by Anderson, KOD, Latimore as well as Manu and Docker being capable of playing prop.
Centre is shaky but we will have Peachy and Naiqama over what we have this year.

Yeah Manu's even played prop (would be my choice) before. Even in the 20's Jennings has been on the wing so we are fine for backs just not centres

Latest posts