What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assistance For Single Men With Children

Nutz

Bench
I am hoping someone can advice me on how my son can find emergency housing for him and his 10yr old daughter.
Situation:
* He is divorced and has sole custody of his 15yr old daughter. He takes her to school then comes home to sleep. He then picks her up from school before going to work.
* He is a shift worker at a hospital and his pay barely covers his rent and the rest of the bills
* His current landlord wants to move back into their unit that my son rents
* He cannot change his shifts even though he has pleaded his case with his team leader that he needs time to look for another place to live(their denying him suitable shifts as he has already taken too much time off during the ugly divorce)
Real estates only do open inspections during normal business hours when he should be sleeping.
* Rental prices have skyrocketed so finding one that's within his budget is sparce.
* His daughter costs more money now that she's at school and she needs him to drive her to school and sports events etc. All of which is during the day.
* It's now getting to the point where I am so worried about my boy's mental health.

There are so many obstacles and concerns he is dealing with that I've excluded here.
He told me that there are emergency housing for women (rape cases, desertion etc) but not for men. Housing commission accommodation in Canberra has a 3 year waiting list.

The mother of his child is a drug addict and was the reason he sought and won custody.
His mother deserted us a long time ago and my financial status is tied up with a new partner. I've given him as much as I can but can't do much more.
Any suggestions?
I only found out all of this this arvo so I may not have the answers to your questions but I'm keen to hear any advice from people who may be in or were in similar circumstances.
Thankyou.

Last edited:
I am hoping someone can advice me on how my son can find emergency housing for him and his 10yr old daughter.
Situation:
* He is divorced and has sole custody of his 15yr old daughter. He takes her to school then comes home to sleep. He then picks her up from school before going to work.
* He is a shift worker at a hospital and his pay barely covers his rent and the rest of the bills
* His current landlord wants to move back into their unit that my son rents
* He cannot change his shifts even though he has pleaded his case with his team leader that he needs time to look for another place to live(their denying him suitable shifts as he has already taken too much time off during the ugly divorce)
Real estates only do open inspections during normal business hours when he should be sleeping.
* Rental prices have skyrocketed so finding one that's within his budget is sparce.
* His daughter costs more money now that she's at school and she needs him to drive her to school and sports events etc. All of which is during the day.
* It's now getting to the point where I am so worried about my boy's mental health.

There are so many obstacles and concerns he is dealing with that I've excluded here.
He told me that there are emergency housing for women (rape cases, desertion etc) but not for men. Housing commission accommodation in Canberra has a 3 year waiting list.

The mother of his child is a drug addict and was the reason he sought and won custody.
His mother deserted us a long time ago and my financial status is tied up with a new partner. I've given him as much as I can but can't do much more.
Any suggestions?
I only found out all of this this arvo so I may not have the answers to your questions but I'd love yo hear any advice from people who may be in or was in similar circumstances.
Thankyou.
Get him to ring Bridging the Gap in Coffs. They should be able to put him in touch with someone in his area. Sorry that's all I can think of.

Nutz

Bench
Get him to ring Bridging the Gap in Coffs. They should be able to put him in touch with someone in his area. Sorry that's all I can think of.
Thanks mate.
I just looked up their website and they offer counselling and debt consolidation stuff but I'm wondering if they have any resources that will make it any easier for him.
My son's now not answering his phone which is killing me.
When I do chat with him I'll pass on your advice.
Cheers

Thanks mate.
I just looked up their website and they offer counselling and debt consolidation stuff but I'm wondering if they have any resources that will make it any easier for him.
My son's now not answering his phone which is killing me.
When I do chat with him I'll pass on your advice.
Cheers
How is it going brother?

Is he ok? Kid alright

f**king hard drugs I hate them with a passion.

Nutz

Bench
How is it going brother?

Is he ok? Kid alright

f**king hard drugs I hate them with a passion.
Hey mate. He's pleaded his case with his current landlord to allow him to stay in his unit until he finds a place, now he's on a month by month which is fair and reasonable. They've also capped the rent. So now it's a matter of finding a place.
My sister has also chipoed in with a loan of their second car, an old Carolla.
So hopefully brother, my son's situation will improve.

Hey mate. He's pleaded his case with his current landlord to allow him to stay in his unit until he finds a place, now he's on a month by month which is fair and reasonable. They've also capped the rent. So now it's a matter of finding a place.
Yeah, he has to hang in there.

Get something cheap and basic.

Its not where you live, it’s who you live with.

A gift to have a teenage daughter to raise as ordered by the court. Very rare.

You should be very proud of him!

A chip off the old block.

___

Juniors
Stupid question, but is moving in with you an option if you live near him having him move in with you may help a lot.

Nutz

Bench
Stupid question, but is moving in with you an option if you live near him having him move in with you may help a lot.
He's a hospital worker in Canberra and I'm a pensioner in Brisbane so it's not an option.
I've given him some money to get him out of trouble and yesterday he secured a 2 bedroom unit which having a seperate bedroom for his daughter is paramount.
Also the mother whose daughter goes to the same school as my granddaughter has offered to take both kids to school and pick them up after school when he cant do it. All the stars have alighned.
Fingers crossed his immediate problems are sorted.
Thanks for you imput mate.

Last edited:
He's a hospital worker in Canberra and I'm a pensioner in Brisbane so it's not an option.
I've given him some money to get him out of trouble and yesterday he secured a 2 bedroom unit which having a seperate bedroom for his daughter is paramount.
Also the mother of his daughter have offered to take both kids to school and pick them up after school when he cant do it. All the stars have alighned.
Fingers crossed his immediate problems are sorted.
Thanks for you imput mate.
Well done son.

Not sure I trust that rogue mum.

Got woofy his own tigers membership today.

Oh well that's great news mate, glad it worked out well for your son.
Yeah, they just need the basics.

It’s not where you live, it’s who you live with.

She needs her space for a bed, desk and clothes and stuff. Do her teenage stuff.

Need the wifi on pronto.

If she’s after a small office set of draws, she can lock, let me know @Nutz.

B2855439-1891-4C57-82F8-A189097490FC.jpeg
That’s the beast.

No charge, but we’d need to sort delivery.

It’s at Mt Druitt at the moment.

@soc123_au might know someone in Canberra who is coming up here to visit and is heading back. Throw it in the back of her Raptor.

She can hide her Tigers gear in it like I do.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
View attachment 84560
That’s the beast.

No charge, but we’d need to sort delivery.

It’s at Mt Druitt at the moment.

@soc123_au might know someone in Canberra who is coming up here to visit and is heading back. Throw it in the back of her Raptor.

She can hide her Tigers gear in it like I do.
I'm most likely going to Canberra end of next month/early April. Can assist if needed.