What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Asu Kepaoa

Fordy20

Juniors
I was thinking that maybe we could benefit from their little publicity stunt, but after the game last night, any hope I had for this season is gone

Tiger Ted

Bench
It's pretty shit right. The season is over for us.
No end in sight re our perpetually shithouse train wreck seasons.

Not only is this season over already but don’t see how we end our long term finals drought in ‘21 considering the glaring deficiencies in our roster in particular in the key positions

BrotherJim05

Bench
This kid has a legit chance to show what we have been lacking in pace for a long time. He could make that left wing spot his own for a long time if he doesn't f**k around and puts some solid tries on.

If Talau is able to combine with him then we could see Mbye slowly being pushed out of the team

Tigerm

First Grade
https://nospam.com.au/what-asu-kepaoa-can-bring-to-wests-tigers/

Position
A lot of fans have pegged Kepaoa as a winger but from the games I’ve seen, the young Kiwis has shown potential in the Fullback position which is why he is the perfect replacement for Corey Thompson.

Kepaoa as a 19-year-old enjoyed a very strong season in the NSW Cup for the North Sydney Bears averaging 164 running metres and recording 5 tries and 4 try assists in 15 games.

Although he defended on a wing, Kepaoa would often switch to Fullback for the bears during attacking sets and looked very promising.

Kepaoa during his career has also spent time in the centres so the young outside back brings a lot of utility value to the squad.

In terms of his best position, Tigers fans shouldn’t be too surprised if Kepaoa finds himself at Fullback in the future if regular Fullback Adam Doueihi is injured.

Strengths
As previously mentioned, Kepaoa’s yardage game is very strong. The young Kiwi has a big body and bent the line for North Sydney every time he carried the ball starting offsets very well which is exciting considering he’s only 89 Kg according to the Wests Tigers website.

With any luck, I’m sure that Kepaoa has more growing to do which will make him an even more dangerous ball runner. The young outside back also displayed a very good short passing game at Fullback, putting hole runners into space on serval occasions which often lead to try-scoring situations.

If Kepaoa can add some variation and range to his passing, in particular the long ball, The Tigers have found themselves a diamond out of the Roosters system.

Kepaoa’s biggest strength however is his ability to beat his man one on one from Fullback.

Against Penrith, Kepaoa has able to use his speed, skill, and strength to beat first-grade standard players such as Jarome Luai more than once which is a great testament to how deceptive he is.

Verdict
I think that Wests Tigers fans will see Asu Kepaoa in first grade sooner rather than later.

Given the Tigers injury track record this season, the young outside back can cover several positions and Michael Maguire hasn’t shied away from throwing rookies into the deep end in 2020.

I’m expecting to see Kepaoa start on the wing with the possibility of moving to Fullback when the team requires it.

Mario chalmers

Juniors
This kid has a legit chance to show what we have been lacking in pace for a long time. He could make that left wing spot his own for a long time if he doesn't f**k around and puts some solid tries on.

If Talau is able to combine with him then we could see Mbye slowly being pushed out of the team

Mbye is an average player in whatever position he plays. He was average at hooker and in the halves at Canterbury. He's been average at FB (dropped plenty of ball) and in the centres for us. It is well worth moving him out of the side BUT for the fact he has a 900k contract.

If we could get a Qld side to pay him 5-600 for the remaining years of his contract I would take that deal.

Fans are hammering Ivan Cleary for signing shitty players on big contracts but the person who should be hung out to dry for all of these deals in my view is Pascoe. He agreed to a one year extension on the Mbye deal when he came across which was truly criminal.

Mario chalmers

Juniors

Position
A lot of fans have pegged Kepaoa as a winger but from the games I’ve seen, the young Kiwis has shown potential in the Fullback position which is why he is the perfect replacement for Corey Thompson.

Kepaoa as a 19-year-old enjoyed a very strong season in the NSW Cup for the North Sydney Bears averaging 164 running metres and recording 5 tries and 4 try assists in 15 games.

Although he defended on a wing, Kepaoa would often switch to Fullback for the bears during attacking sets and looked very promising.

Kepaoa during his career has also spent time in the centres so the young outside back brings a lot of utility value to the squad.

In terms of his best position, Tigers fans shouldn’t be too surprised if Kepaoa finds himself at Fullback in the future if regular Fullback Adam Doueihi is injured.

Strengths
As previously mentioned, Kepaoa’s yardage game is very strong. The young Kiwi has a big body and bent the line for North Sydney every time he carried the ball starting offsets very well which is exciting considering he’s only 89 Kg according to the Wests Tigers website.

With any luck, I’m sure that Kepaoa has more growing to do which will make him an even more dangerous ball runner. The young outside back also displayed a very good short passing game at Fullback, putting hole runners into space on serval occasions which often lead to try-scoring situations.

If Kepaoa can add some variation and range to his passing, in particular the long ball, The Tigers have found themselves a diamond out of the Roosters system.

Kepaoa’s biggest strength however is his ability to beat his man one on one from Fullback.

Against Penrith, Kepaoa has able to use his speed, skill, and strength to beat first-grade standard players such as Jarome Luai more than once which is a great testament to how deceptive he is.

Verdict
I think that Wests Tigers fans will see Asu Kepaoa in first grade sooner rather than later.

Given the Tigers injury track record this season, the young outside back can cover several positions and Michael Maguire hasn’t shied away from throwing rookies into the deep end in 2020.

I’m expecting to see Kepaoa start on the wing with the possibility of moving to Fullback when the team requires it.

Sounds positive However I would personally like to see Tommy Talau get a crack at fullback if Doueihi is out this week. He has shown plenty in half a dozen games so far and can ball play.

stryker

First Grade

Position

Strengths

Verdict

Pretty wishy washy article.
Does this Declan fella realise how tough of a position fullback is?
He has suggested that someone with very limited experience playing there, who never defends there and needs to work on his passing will be our next no.1? Yeah right...

WA Tiger

Bench

Position

Strengths

Verdict

I’ll play along ..! Too much of stretch a for Madge?

Last edited:

Ned Kelly

Juniors
No end in sight re our perpetually shithouse train wreck seasons.

Not only is this season over already but don’t see how we end our long term finals drought in ‘21 considering the glaring deficiencies in our roster in particular in the key positions

At my age I figure I have a bit more than 10 years left. Wonder if I will get to see the Tigers as serious contenders again. Doubt it.

Das Hassler

Bench
At my age I figure I have a bit more than 10 years left. Wonder if I will get to see the Tigers as serious contenders again. Doubt it.

I didn't want to be the first to bring that up...with the horizon approaching fast i'd decided quite awhile ago against wests tigers being my reason to live...they haven't earned that honour...though my dog certainly has.

Tigerm

First Grade
I didn't want to be the first to bring that up...with the horizon approaching fast i'd decided quite awhile ago against wests tigers being my reason to live...they haven't earned that honour...though my dog certainly has.
Though if you wait for them to win it, it may prolong life by many, many years:joy:

Das Hassler

Bench
Though if you wait for them to win it, it may prolong life by many, many years:joy:

I couldn't afford eternity. .i"d budgeted for another few seasons but recent very successful heart surgery means i have to keep plugging away for awhile yet...my condition was genetic and a bit of damage has been left. .. cardio orders are "you were lucky..live your life but don't allow anything or anyone to raise your blood pressure. ..also no anxiety...depression or despondency"... ahah...Thankfully a laugh helps a lot and I have enough in those instructions alone as a WT supporter to see me through for quite awhile

Mario chalmers

Juniors
Pretty reckless coaching to throw him in.

Playing Walters at 9 would have meant less players reshuffling.

he showed some good leg drive while carting the ball forward but very shakey under the high ball.

Latest posts