What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

At Last, some Ruthlessness in Management

thebigredv

First Grade
And this is exactly it. Right here. This is our problem as a club right here. Give him what he wants, because he is a good clubman; but it is not the right thing for the club. I respect your view on rewarding a good club man, but being nice doesn't get you a long way. Be ruthless. We want to win. Sims will not be part of the next premiership contending team. He's busted. Move him on. No sentiment whatsoever. It was this thinking that anchored us with McGregor for 8 dreadful years.

And I completely agree that Kerr, Ford, Alvaro, Beale etc should be joining him. Be ruthless. Your in a war against the likes of Melbourne and the Chooks; and mark my words they are both ruthless.

And this is also why I don't like the Mbye signing. Great clubman, not a real talent. Not a 'ruthless' signing, just cheap and versatile.

Wait for FOX and Nine to come out and question why the Dragons would move Sims on...
At the end of the day they like him because he's an origin player, a good clubman from the Gong, Ruan's brother, a great role model...he is all those things but these commentators don't care if Dragons win or lose at the end of the day. They just like a talking point.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
And this is also why I don't like the Mbye signing. Great clubman, not a real talent. Not a 'ruthless' signing, just cheap and versatile.

Wait for FOX and Nine to come out and question why the Dragons would move Sims on...
At the end of the day they like him because he's an origin player, a good clubman from the Gong, Ruan's brother, a great role model...he is all those things but these commentators don't care if Dragons win or lose at the end of the day. They just like a talking point.
Red V, I am also worried about the Mybe signing on two points:

i. If he holds up the development of Sloan, Sullivan, Amone, Fegai twins it will be a disaster;
ii. We can only carry one "versatile player" and we have that in Jack Bird. Bird and Mybe in the same team does not thrill me.

It is a bit like my wife who comes home with a new pair of boots and tells me they were on sale for $150.00, down from $400.00. But she doesn't need them. Don't buy things just because they're on sale (ie Moses Mybe); buy players because we are short in the required area and that would be at hooker and another young Polynesian bruiser for the pack.

Trifili13

Juniors
And this is exactly it. Right here. This is our problem as a club right here. Give him what he wants, because he is a good clubman; but it is not the right thing for the club. I respect your view on rewarding a good club man, but being nice doesn't get you a long way. Be ruthless. We want to win. Sims will not be part of the next premiership contending team. He's busted. Move him on. No sentiment whatsoever. It was this thinking that anchored us with McGregor for 8 dreadful years.

And I completely agree that Kerr, Ford, Alvaro, Beale etc should be joining him. Be ruthless. Your in a war against the likes of Melbourne and the Chooks; and mark my words they are both ruthless.
Are you sure you are a Chelsea supporter, you seem to talk alot of sense. 🤣

EEZ, while it would nice to keep Clune as he is a good clubman, where do you suggest we play him bearing in mind we have Hunt, Sullivan, Mbye, Amone to play in the halves (Bird also at a pinch) and Macca, Mbye, Hunt, and Maguire?

Does Sims offer more value for money than Norman? Yes, but Norman offers no value for money.

Trifili13

Juniors
Red V, I am also worried about the Mybe signing on two points:

i. If he holds up the development of Sloan, Sullivan, Amone, Fegai twins it will be a disaster;
ii. We can only carry one "versatile player" and we have that in Jack Bird. Bird and Mybe in the same team does not thrill me.

It is a bit like my wife who comes home with a new pair of boots and tells me they were on sale for $150.00, down from $400.00. But she doesn't need them. Don't buy things just because they're on sale (ie Moses Mybe); buy players because we are short in the required area and that would be at hooker and another young Polynesian bruiser for the pack.
I think we are married to the same person😂
Comes home with shoes and clothes and I ask her if she needs them and her reply is that they were on special. I tell her I did not ask if they were on special, I asked if she needs them. I am sure you know how the story ends from here.

Drewbrees

Juniors
Comes home with shoes and clothes and I ask her if she needs them and her reply is that they were on special. I tell her I did not ask if they were on special, I asked if she needs them. I am sure you know how the story ends from here.
You are a brave man.

Rob Dragon 1

Juniors
Well it doesn't end well mate. We both know that!

As for the Chelsea bit, I wasn't a supporter but lived 15 minute walk from Stamford Bridge so we would go along to watch the away teams like Arsenal, Man U, Newcastle, Liverpool etc. Having been to the Bridge about 30 times and then flying to Milan to watch them play a UEFA Cup game against AC, we collectively said "OK we're flying to another country to watch Chelsea play, I reckon we're supporters now". But it was the old 1st Div, where we were always trying to avoid relegation. It was before the Russian oil money came to town and bought the club. They were great days, standing in the home shed with 10,000 crazy Chelsea supporters, most of who were on parole!

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Sims is a big match player. He hasn't performed much lately, but then we haven't had any big matches. The whole side has gone off the boil since Round 6. BBQ-gate ensured no-one was going to bust a gut at the back end of the season. Don't agree with the decision, if in fact it has been made.

St Tangles

Bench
It's a decision I can't argue with.
He has been average for us this year bar 1 game against Newcastle and has not been value for money.
I just don't think he is an 80munute player anymore.
In all reality if a few other players weren't injured Sims wouldn't of played SOO this year.

A while ago I would have agreed with you but looking at him closely this year his defence is his achilles heel and we are not strong enough to carry that.
I think this "Clune can't tackle" stuff is BS.
Here are the 2021 missed tackles stats for our number 7s :
Ben Hunt : 15 games, 59 missed tackles, Match Avge : 3.93
Jayden Sullivan : 4 games, 23 missed tackles, Match Avge : 5.75
Adam Clune : 13 games, 27 missed tackles, Match Avge : 2.08

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
And yet we've thrown money at Jack deBelin to keep him on the books until 2025. Only one year older than Tariq. Ruthless or stupid?

SEAT 1A

Bench
A good decision by the club to allow him to go on the market before Nov 1 and he's been a mad lad for the Dragons.

He's one of the enforcers in the game and can mix it up with the forwards and put's fear in the eyes of the ball players however, that part of his game has been completely nullified.

Old Timer

Coach
I think this "Clune can't tackle" stuff is BS.
Here are the 2021 missed tackles stats for our number 7s :
Ben Hunt : 15 games, 59 missed tackles, Match Avge : 3.93
Jayden Sullivan : 4 games, 23 missed tackles, Match Avge : 5.75
Adam Clune : 13 games, 27 missed tackles, Match Avge : 2.08
I actually think the stats prove he can’t tackle and show there are others that can’t tackle either.

I’ve never thought Hunt is a good tackler and in fact consider him quite poor and Sullivan has a long way to go before I will be convinced he has a 1st grade position.

I have always liked Tariq Sims. Wholehearted, full of fire and brimstone, but alas he is past it.
Yep. Passionate for the Red V jumper. But I am a sentimentalist not a pragmatist when it comes to the Dragons so wanted he and Vaughan to see out their careers here but was not to be. Clearly the club is looking to rebuild after a decade of failure. Fresh blood is needed in both the engine room and backline. So being a sentimentalist I want that fresh blood to come from our junior ranks. But that is not practical as juniors need time to develop and the club does not have time. We loyal fans deserve better than we have been given since our last premiership over a decade ago.

Last edited:
I actually think the stats prove he can’t tackle and show there are others that can’t tackle either.

I’ve never thought Hunt is a good tackler and in fact consider him quite poor and Sullivan has a long way to go before I will be convinced he has a 1st grade position.
Jahrome Hughes : 22 games, 49 missed tackles, Game avge : 2.23
Nathan Cleary : 16 games, 30 missed tackles, Game avge : 1.88
Sam Walker : 20 games, 69 missed tackles, Game avge : 3.45

They're all either not much better or significantly worse than Clune's stats, and it ain't hurt their club none. They're in the Top 4.

Latest posts