What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auckland 9's 2015

Zoidberg

First Grade
Just noticed on Sportsbet that we are equal 2nd favourites for the 9's next year. Warriors @ $4.50, us and Cowboys @ $8. Why? Does this emphasise that we have a good back line and halves but don't have what it takes up front for the regular Como?

Apey

Staff member
Probably because last year we were going quite well until Mullen got injured.

Rod

Bench
I'd say it's because 1. We were prepared to name almost our best possible team last year when not everyone was, and 2. The quality of our backs in a space orientated-game. Leilua, Gagai, Mamo and the Mata'utia's (looks like no Uate this year unfortunately) along with two relatively quick halves in Mullen and Roberts.

Yosh

Coach
I hope we field some youngsters and give them a run instead of our full team...

Knight Vision

First Grade
in an already crowded season this comp is a stupid idea. Didnt watch much of it before and probably wont watch much of this one. Hope we throw some young kids in there and keep our best players fresh for the season to make the 8

perverse

Referee
It a tough one regarding resting players over the 9's for mine. On one hand, you don't want them injured a la Mullo last year - it pretty much sunk our season before it started. On the other hand, Mullo was on fire in the 9's and was probably the best 5/8th running around in the comp over that weekend. It can be a massive confidence builder for him to establish some form there.

Mullen is the only bloke I'd bother resting, if anyone. Players are going to get injured, especially the injury like Mullo's. Had he been rested, he would have been just as likely to do that one at training on Monday. It wasn't an impact injury, his hammy just gave in.

I think it makes perfect sense that we'd be right up there with the favourites. Our backline is no secret, our young gun backs are no secret and we looked great in it last year. Couple that with our surge home late in the regular season and I could see why the bookies like us.

I really like the 9's. I enjoyed it immensely this year, and really do look forward to 2015. It was a great, fun way to whet the appetite before the regular season.

Last edited:

Rod

Bench
It a tough one regarding resting players over the 9's for mine. On one hand, you don't want them injured a la Mullo last year - it pretty much sunk our season before it started. On the other hand, Mullo was on fire in the 9's and was probably the best 5/8th running around in the comp over that weekend. It can be a massive confidence builder for him to establish some form there.

Mullen is the only bloke I'd bother resting, if anyone. Players are going to get injured, especially the injury like Mullo's. Had he been rested, he would have been just as likely to do that one at training on Monday. It wasn't an impact injury, his hammy just gave in.

I think it makes perfect sense that we'd be right up there with the favourites. Our backline is no secret, our young gun backs are no secret and we looked great in it last year. Couple that with our surge home late in the regular season and I could see why the bookies like us.

I really like the 9's. I enjoyed it immensely this year, and really do look forward to 2015. It was a great, fun way to whet the appetite before the regular season.

+1 to pretty much everything there, but then again I'm biased because I'm going. It's nice to go knowing that your team is going to be competitive/exciting to watch.

Frederick

Staff member
I'd like the see a squad of mostly fringe players with a few regular first graders.

Maybe take a squad consisting of the likes of

Mamo
Ross
C. Mata'utia
P. Mata'utia
Randell
Roberts
Fitzgibbon
Tapine
Mataora
Vaivai
Rochow
Levi
Feeney
Donovan
Yates
Pondekas

Plus whoever else. Mostly NSW cup and 20s. I certainly wouldn't risk our most important players on a gimmick competition

Zoidberg

First Grade
Teams are contractually obliged to send "star players". How many and what counts as a "star player", I don't know.

perverse

Referee
The rules are that 12 of your 9's squad have to be from the top 25 players in your NRL squad, and must include at least 1 "marquee" player - which is anyone from the top 5 paid players in the squad.

You can't just send nuffies.

Noname36

First Grade
Just noticed on Sportsbet that we are equal 2nd favourites for the 9's next year. Warriors @ $4.50, us and Cowboys @ $8. Why? Does this emphasise that we have a good back line and halves but don't have what it takes up front for the regular Como?

Yep.

voltron

Juniors
you have to send a certain amount of your top paid players
that is what they mean by star

Yosh

Coach
The rules are that 12 of your 9's squad have to be from the top 25 players in your NRL squad, and must include at least 1 "marquee" player - which is anyone from the top 5 paid players in the squad.

You can't just send nuffies.

We have Aku, Kids and Boyd all in the top 5 paid. Rather one of them went than Mullo.

In an ideal world we get Darius Boyd at his best both as a person and player and he becomes the greatest fullback this club has ever had. He could become a legend here and let's face it he is a redemption tale in waiting like few others.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
One of the issues I have is that if Boyd stays, where does that leave Gids? I still believe fullbacks Gidleys best position. I'd prefer 1. Gidley 7. Roberts and using Boyds money to prop up Siones contract and to get another forward.