What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aus RL in the movies!

screeny

Bench
DACSSDOWN said:
There was an American movie in the mid 80's "The sure thing", starring John Cusack as the main character. In this he wears an Australian Rugby League jersey.

No way! That's one of my favourite films.....I have the video at home, I'll have to dig it out and watch. Great film, RL jersey or not. Is it a club jersey?

screeny

Bench
East Coast Tiger said:
Now that I think of it wasn't there a sequel to Once Were Warriors? I think the telly scene was in that.

Yeah, a travesty in which Jake Heke comes good and helps out his family by beating up loads of bikers.

Awful, awful sequel. It can't have had much to do with the people who made the first one as they're so different.

deluded pom?

Coach
screeny said:
It always makes me want to turn thy telly off! It's crap.

This Sporting Life also featured the big screen debut of....oooooh, I've forgotten her name! British actress who went onto become a labour MP, or candidate at least. But, yes, a great, great piece of film, that.

You mean Dame Glenda Jackson who indeed did become a Labour M.P.

griff

Bench
screeny said:
This Sporting Life also featured the big screen debut of....oooooh, I've forgotten her name! British actress who went onto become a labour MP, or candidate at least. But, yes, a great, great piece of film, that.
It's a great film, but not all that supportive of RL. There is a whole undercurrent of professional sport = prostitution.

DACSSDOWN

Juniors
screeny said:
No way! That's one of my favourite films.....I have the video at home, I'll have to dig it out and watch. Great film, RL jersey or not. Is it a club jersey?

It is an Aus Test jersey.

screeny

Bench
griff said:
It's a great film, but not all that supportive of RL. There is a whole undercurrent of professional sport = prostitution.

Well, Frank Machin is a mercenary - or at least wants what he thinks he's worth - but does the film give that slight to the whole sport? I'm not so sure.

And, yes, Glenda Jackson, thanks deluded pom!

griff

Bench
screeny said:
Well, Frank Machin is a mercenary - or at least wants what he thinks he's worth - but does the film give that slight to the whole sport? I'm not so sure.
It sort of portrays the mill owner/club president as exploiting the working classes, who have to prostitute themselves by exploiting their bodies for the entertainment of the rich.

The landlady he lives with feels like a prostitute for accepting the gifts from Machin and Machin feels like a prostitute for accepting the money for playing for the club president. There is a bit of sexual subtext to the relationship between Machin and the club president as well.

I think it definitely has an anti professional sport message. Lindsay Anderson was a private school Oxford boy after all.

Green Machine

First Grade
I can’t remember Glenda Jackson in, This Sporting Life.

http://www.reelstreets.com/sport_life.htm

Professional sport in the 60’s was classed as something barbaric. Professional sport was not embraced world wide until the 70’s. England is class driven society, so it is easy to see why a movie made in 1963 about professional rugby in the north of England would portray rugby league as heartless sport played by employees who can be bought and sold.

screeny

Bench
griff said:
It sort of portrays the mill owner/club president as exploiting the working classes, who have to prostitute themselves by exploiting their bodies for the entertainment of the rich.

The landlady he lives with feels like a prostitute for accepting the gifts from Machin and Machin feels like a prostitute for accepting the money for playing for the club president. There is a bit of sexual subtext to the relationship between Machin and the club president as well.

I think it definitely has an anti professional sport message. Lindsay Anderson was a private school Oxford boy after all.

I haven't seent the film for years but your arguments sound pretty convincing. I didn't know that about Lindsay Anderson, either, but it goes further to back up what you say.

I certainly have never picked up any sexual subtext, as you put it, between Machin and the president of the club.

griff

Bench
screeny said:
I certainly have never picked up any sexual subtext, as you put it, between Machin and the president of the club.
Maybe I'm reading too much into it and I would have to watch it again but there is a scene in the owner's car and another one at the party at his house that I recall seemed a little bit dodgy.

screeny

Bench
griff said:
Maybe I'm reading too much into it and I would have to watch it again but there is a scene in the owner's car and another one at the party at his house that I recall seemed a little bit dodgy.

I bow to what seems your greater experience in such matters!

expansionist

Juniors
Also in 'Lost' when they show the flashback to...... whats her name the aussie chick...... and her boyfriend who dumped her - there is a Broncos poster on the wall of their apartment.

expansionist said:
Also in 'Lost' when they show the flashback to...... whats her name the aussie chick...... and her boyfriend who dumped her - there is a Broncos poster on the wall of their apartment.

Yep. Fits with the character being a wanker :p