What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AUS V PI

Crusader

Bench
Yeah I think you're right bayrep about keeping S12 provincial, maybe another Aus side in the S12 to promote it in the 'AFL states' and PI in the TN fo sho ;-)

bayrep

Juniors
Who else whould you have other than an Aus side to make it a 14 team comp and why ?

Anonymous

Juniors
Norman Ligairi;
Lome Fa'atau,
Seilala Mapusua,
Seremaia Bai,
Sitiveni Sivivatu;
Tanner Chan Vili,
Mosese Rauluni;
Sisa Koyamaibole,
Alivereti Doviverata,
Sione Lauaki,
Ifereimi Rawaqa,
Inoke Afeaki (c),
Taufa'ao Filise,
Aleki Lutui,
Soane Tonga'uiha.

Reserves:

Joeli Lotawa,
Tevita Taumoepeau,
Leo Lafaiali'i,
Semo Sititi,
Steve So'oialo,
Seru Rabeni,
Sireli Bobo.

They'll do well to be competitive, it's basically a team of fringe NPC and Super 12 players. Guys like Fa'atau, Bai, Lutui, Tonga'uiha, Taumoepeau, Lafaiali'i, Rapeni, Afeaki and Bobo are average to below average NZ provincial players who would probably rather play for NZ if they were anywhere near good enough (not that I'm claiming to be a mind reader). However, Sivivatu, Lauaki, and possibly Mapusua are likely to be future All Blacks, and Ligairi is a good player.

Crusader

Bench
Mmm that's a hard one, maybe one of the PI teams?
I'm not keen on Japan simply because it is a tough comp and I wouldn't like to see that change... what about Argentina?

Crusader

Bench
But that would make Aus more disadvantaged than they are already - it's 5 NZ, 4 SA, 3 AU now...

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Timbo said:
I think it has to be another South African side, logistically it's the only move that makes sense.
Why so? they currently have one more team than Australia and invariably 3 out of 4 of their teams finish in the bottom half of the ladder. They don't have the depth, unlike NZ where every franchise has made the finals at some point. Australia deserve the next side as at least all three Australian sides compete fairly well at some point or other. As earlie mentioned I think Perth would be the logical choice. The other options I'd look at would be:
1:Argentine side based out of Beunos Aires, if they were given a couple of seasons notice to let players who are currently in Europe's contracts expire they could easily put togother a competitive side and would certainly get the crowd support.
2: A Pacific Islands based franchise playing out of Auckland and Western Sydney (split the home games) with the training base in Auckland.
3: A Japanese based side (Tokyo?), they would have to bulk out the team with imports but they have the cash and support to assemble a genuine side and they also have enough players of their own to contribute some useful homegrown players.

bayrep

Juniors
Imagine a comp that could have all three teams from Arg, PI and Jap. THe only worry would be stacking the side with internationals so that you end up playing Argentina or Japan.

The idea should be that the winner of their local provicial comp gets promoted to the S15. hmmm might not work as then you may lose the support as it may change each year.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
bayrep said:
Imagine a comp that could have all three teams from Arg, PI and Jap. THe only worry would be stacking the side with internationals so that you end up playing Argentina or Japan.
I don't really see the problem with that as neither side is a superpower. It would just end up like the Warriors are in the NRL, sometimes they will provide the bulk of the national side, sometimes they won't. At least it might mean that Internationals will get to stay in their own country and have rep careers instead of merely playing for european clubs.

Rustay

Juniors
Timbo said:
It does actually.

The only venues I knew of in Perth were the WACA and Subiaco, and with Subiaco being tied up by two AFL teams all S12 season, and very negative reports about the WACA from Union/League (said it was like playing on concrete) it sounded like a problem.

The soccer stadium only holds 15 thou odd doesn't it? I'd say that could be a problem.

But as far as getting support goes, probobly would do better in Perth after reading your post.

Yeah the soccer stadium holds about that much, maybe a bit more, not entirely sure. I think the WACA would be the best option in terms of attendance. It holds about 28,000 or so and i think that would be a good sized ground in terms of support. However, it is a hard ground so that is a negative. I think Subi would be used for the big games, finals etc, if we were able to make it.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
A 15K capacity home ground for regular season games would probably be a good thing as it would give the opportunity to build support while still having sellout or neaqr sellout crowds, with games moved to the WACA or Subiaco (if possible) for finals. If they consistently sell out games then use some of the proceeds for a stadium upgrade the next season. Waikato have done that with their stadium.

Anonymous

Juniors
I'm not sure what S12 ground prerequisites are? At the moment Ballymore is the smallest ground and holds 22 odd thousand fully filled.

Crusader

Bench
Well the Islanders certainly gave a pretty good accounting of themselves last weekend, they can only get better ;-)

Rustay

Juniors
SpaceMonkey said:
A 15K capacity home ground for regular season games would probably be a good thing as it would give the opportunity to build support while still having sellout or neaqr sellout crowds, with games moved to the WACA or Subiaco (if possible) for finals. If they consistently sell out games then use some of the proceeds for a stadium upgrade the next season. Waikato have done that with their stadium.

Yeah good point. I would optimistically say that we could beat 15,000 though, to start with. I think crowds of around 18,000+ is what id be hoping for.

Some good news that i've read is that at least two large international companies here in Perth are interested in backing the push, so hopefully more will come up and there will be plenty of sponsorship for the team.