What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussie Batting Form

merk51

Juniors
Ok guys I was just wondering what your thoughts on the Aussie batting line up are... I am just going to post my thoughts and I dont mind if you agree or disagree with me I just want to get them out in the open.

Lets start with Andrew Symonds - he is not a test player he has failed every time he has gone out to bat and as an all rounder bowling 3 overs in a test match just isnt on - I think until Watson is fit again they bring in another bowler seem our bowling is really suffering at the moment we only have 1 attack and that is Shane Warne.

Adam Gilchrist dont get me wrong he has done alot of great stuff great innings and love wathing him play but seriously he has failed against England in the Ashes, failed against the ICC World XI and failed against the West Indies and at the moment failing against the South Africans yet alone failing against the kiwis in the recent one dayers... Do you think its time he got a rest from test match cricket and just concentrate on the one day game?

And last thing I am going to say is that in my opinion Brett Lee should get a batting promotion - I think alot of people actually under estimate his batting ability - he is Australias current all rounder - when you look at how well he batted against england, against west indies, against new zealand and in the first test - he is a much better batter than what everyone gives him credit for. So what do u guys think?

stuke

Bench
i was a fan of the Andrew Symonds experiment but sadly i am having to admit defeat on that. he is not up to Test match cricket.

Gilly will stay there. i would prefer to see him rest from the one dayers. really he could have the home summer series off to rest and put the feet up. i doubt it would happen though as the selectors seem to need to add credibility to the series, but Haddin is more than adequate as a replacement.

the other change i would look at is dumping Bracken and bringing Gillespie back into the fold. Ponting would appear to have little faith in Brackens ability so he will not use him other than as a stop gap bowler to rest Lee or McGrath.

stuke

Bench
oh and i would leave the batting order as it is. Lee (and Warne) seems to bat better when there are little expectations placed upon them. the top order does seem fragile though so maybe Clarke back in for Symonds??

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
merk51 said:
Ok guys I was just wondering what your thoughts on the Aussie batting line up are... I am just going to post my thoughts and I dont mind if you agree or disagree with me I just want to get them out in the open.

Lets start with Andrew Symonds - he is not a test player he has failed every time he has gone out to bat and as an all rounder bowling 3 overs in a test match just isnt on - I think until Watson is fit again they bring in another bowler seem our bowling is really suffering at the moment we only have 1 attack and that is Shane Warne.

Adam Gilchrist dont get me wrong he has done alot of great stuff great innings and love wathing him play but seriously he has failed against England in the Ashes, failed against the ICC World XI and failed against the West Indies and at the moment failing against the South Africans yet alone failing against the kiwis in the recent one dayers... Do you think its time he got a rest from test match cricket and just concentrate on the one day game?

And last thing I am going to say is that in my opinion Brett Lee should get a batting promotion - I think alot of people actually under estimate his batting ability - he is Australias current all rounder - when you look at how well he batted against england, against west indies, against new zealand and in the first test - he is a much better batter than what everyone gives him credit for. So what do u guys think?

I don't think too many people will disagree with what you say.

Gilly hasn't made any significant runs for about 6 months, he either needs a rest, or he's gonna be dropped.

Surely they cannot ignore Symonds form any longer

NPK

Bench
merk51 said:
And last thing I am going to say is that in my opinion Brett Lee should get a batting promotion
I think he should be batting at 8 ahead of Warne. Warne isn't as good as people think at batting....he also has 33 Test ducks!

fish eel

Immortal
I think its time to leave Gilly out of the one day side in order to extend his career, its a big ask keeping and opening the batting....playing every one day game and then backing up in the test matches.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Hussey has pretty much cemented himself in the test team middle order for at least the time being. He has the goods to be there for a long time yet. So there is one third of the middle order puzzle solved. The jury is still out on Hodge, even tho he scored a very good double century in Perth. I'm willing to give him a little bit more time tho. Symonds experiment is just not working. Its plain and simple. Sure, Clarkey did start off with a bang, and in recent times he has tapered off. Maybe that has something to do with the fact he started in the team at no. 6 and he scored plenty of runs. He moves to number four and doesnt score too many. That tells me that in the aussie team, he is suited to the no. 6 position. For Sydney, Symonds out, Clarke in at 6.

Parra Guru

Coach
I thought Ponting bowled Symonds a bit too early today. Complete opposite to the other day....

Either he was hoping Symonds got a few wickets to keep his spot or he was justifying his decisions in Perth by proving a point.

He is looking very ordinary with the bat at the moment!!

PARANoIR

Bench
Everyone also said Symonds was ordinary when he first started playing One Day Cricket as well. I think they should give him the last test against SA if he fails again, then they give him the boot.

Blaze

Juniors
One feels that Symonds just needs to get one score and he will be away laughing. The question is, will the selectors have enough patience to wait for him to turn the corner.

aqua_duck

Coach
If Symonds had his bowling average and his batting average reversed, he'd be the greatest all rounder in history.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Blaze said:
One feels that Symonds just needs to get one score and he will be away laughing. The question is, will the selectors have enough patience to wait for him to turn the corner.

enough patience :shock:

you think this dud should keep getting picked after this many chances???

ryanallen

Juniors
Will the selectors change the team for the last test though?
How often do they change a team halfway through or at the end of a test series?

I think symonds will be there in sydney then botted if no in roads are made.
They will be going with 2 spinners in sydney which leaves bracken out again.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
the only thing that will help get Symonds selected for Sydney, is the fact that he can chuck down a few offies, but then again so can Clarke

Parra Guru

Coach
Twizzle said:
the only thing that will help get Symonds selected for Sydney, is the fact that he can chuck down a few offies, but then again so can Clarke

But Clarke has given up bowling because of his back problems that triggered in England.....

Maybe he will have to work on bringing it back into his game if he is going to force his way back into the squad!!!

When is Watson back from injury??

The Colonel

Immortal
Parra Guru said:
But Clarke has given up bowling because of his back problems that triggered in England.....

Maybe he will have to work on bringing it back into his game if he is going to force his way back into the squad!!!

When is Watson back from injury??

Clarke was bowling during the NSW ING match the other day so it looks like he has started again.

Parra Guru

Coach
Cool I think he's a handy bowler. Maybe that will force him back into the team - and hopefully his batting scores will keep him there!!!

Daza_06

Juniors
Does anyone know if Langer will be back for the Sydney test. Jaques would love to play in Sydney but he will need to show some form in his second innings if he is to do so. I think Symonds should be dropped unless he can produce something over 50 in his second innings. Also when will Watson be back.