What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussie has beens

deluded pom?

Coach
It's about time the ESL started getting rid of all those Aussie has beens they keep bringing in . Players like Danny Nutley , Andrew Dunneman , Michael de Vere and Chris Beattie . They are over the hill and past it . You'd never find any NRL teams signing players like this , would you ?

jed

First Grade
Yeah, over the hill players like Dunneman never get signed in the NRL.

:oops: Oh yeah, we've signed him next year :oops: We also signed Matt Adamson and Jason Smith from the ESL, and the Cowboys will have Smith lining up for them next year too - being old isn't a problem if you've got talent.

The ESL has it's fair share of over the hill English players too. And it's not only the older players that are signed these days, more and more often they're signing players in their prime.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
deluded pom? said:
It's about time the ESL started getting rid of all those Aussie has beens they keep bringing in . Players like Danny Nutley , Andrew Dunneman , Michael de Vere and Chris Beattie . They are over the hill and past it . You'd never find any NRL teams signing players like this , would you ?

Thats great, were it not for the fact that they will be replaced with similarly old and underskilled NRL players.

For every good older player that is signed by an English club then and comes back to the NRL there's about 10 that take their retirement fund and jog around for 80 minutes a week. You've really got to pick who you sign well.

Sir Biffo

Bench
Yep. Plus De Vere looks like he's coming back and so is Nutley!

I love watching some of the games on Fox Sports, it's like watching an NRL match from 1998. But next year they are getting some quality players in Trent Barrett and Scott Hill, plus Clint Greenshields.

D

Deleted member 10972

Dallas (maybe), Beattie, Nutley, Adamson, J. Smith, Dunemann, Logan, De Vere (maybe), Franze > NRL.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Nutley and Dunnemann have been brilliant players in the ESL. Nutley wouldn't look out of place as the man of steel this year and Dunnemann turned Salford from likely relegation to a top 6 team.

I think the "washed up Aussies" will slowly be pushed out once promotion / relegation is removed. Newly promoted teams need security in the top flight to be able to bring the young British players through. It will be the best thing for Super League and international rugby league when that happens.

deluded pom?

Coach
Sir Biffo said:
I love watching some of the games on Fox Sports, it's like watching an NRL match from 1998. But next year they are getting some quality players in Trent Barrett and Scott Hill, plus Clint Greenshields.

I'll love watching some of the 2007 NRL matches . It'll be like watching an ESL game from 2006 !
Not an Aussie , but we can now add Logan Swann to the list of NRL returnees as he's just signed with the Warriors for next season .:lol:

ianrhodes

Juniors
IMO not one of you has mentioned Jamie Lyons
he as got back into the national team
I AGREE most players come for a holiday n pension n y not if u can get it
would love the stars like lockyer n inglis to come over but with the seasons co inside with each othe that wont happen ever again
Wish more brits would go to the nrl but our stars ask 4 to much cash

deluded pom?

Coach
Lyon never got a mention because he's not an "over the hill Aussie holidaymaker " as some of the other players mentioned are classed .So ECT if watching an ESL game is like watching an NRL game from 1998 then next season you'll actually be watching footy from 1998 in the NRL by your logic . It's one of my favourite films , Back to the Future .

eels_fan_01

Bench
Sir Biffo said:
Yep. Plus De Vere looks like he's coming back and so is Nutley!

Do you say quality? Then why is Trent Barrett there? I cant wait to see the overrated idiot out of here. I assure you that English fans will think he is crap because he is.

bartman

Immortal
deluded pom? said:
I think several people missed the bait and switch ploy at work in the initial post... ;-)

Latest posts