What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aussie hoops future

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Big Bunny said:
tiger pride said:
Harris Sam 221 C 84 ODU

Would this guy be the tallest player we've got? We've never had a HUGE centre, bar maybe Luc Longley

More than likely, Longley was 7"2. Harris at the moment doesn't get much court time because he's behind Alex Loughton, who I'd rate as the 3rd best Aussie in NCAA division 1 behind Bogut and Bruce. It reminds me, Martin Iti was thinking about applying for the draft last year and listed himself as 7ft. When they measured him with his shoes off he was registered as being 4ft shorter. Since then his stats have turned into rubbish as well.

Ah Martin Iti. This is the guy, dark skin, from Sydney right? Where the hell's he playing now? I remember he was playing the same time as I was as a junior and he was about 6'8" when 14 or something.

Big Bunny

Juniors
douglasallen91 said:
1.4m american for around 10 games is nice for me (thats how much marks plays a year max - he is injury prone)(just got injured again).

was heal the one the got cut by the spurs this season?

Nice for me too but the Russian league offers a lot more than that. Here's a recent article on Andersen..

Latest News back

28/02/2005
ESP - David among Australian Goliaths

BARCELONA (Euroleague) - Andrew Bogut has garnished so much attention in American college basketball of late with the Utah Utes that it's easy to forget there are other Australian stars in international basketball.

CSKA Moscow forward David Andersen has been making sure no one forgets about him, though.

A product of the famous Australian Institute of Sport, Andersen is a member of the CSKA juggernaut that has been running roughshod over opponents in Russia's Superleague and in the Euroleague.

The 2.13m (7ft) power forward/centre with an excellent mid-range stroke tore apart defending ACB champions Barcelona last week with 27 points on 11 of 12 shooting from the field.

He also showed no frailties in the battles underneath the basket, pulling down 11 rebounds - three of them on the offensive glass.

While 2.07m (6ft 11in) centre Bogut is a strong contender to be the first overall pick in this summer's NBA Draft, Andersen has already been selected.

Andersen was taken 37th overall by the Atlanta Hawks in 2002.

Despite the attractions of the NBA, Andersen says that he is fully focused on CSKA.

Andersen told PA International: "At the moment, I have one more year left on my contract and that is all that I am thinking about.

"My aim is to be a key cog in this team for as long as possible but yes, my dream has always been to play in the NBA one day."

The Invincibles
Right now, Andersen's focus is firmly on his Russian team and for good reason because they have a chance to go down as one of Europe's best-ever teams if they go undefeated in all competitions.

Here is what is truly frightening. Andersen feels that CSKA, a team that went to Barcelona last week and won 91-70, have not peaked and have plenty more to offer.
Andersen began the Top 16 how he finished the regular season by becoming the weekly MVP.

"It was a difficult game against Barcelona but if you want to make history, you have to go to places like that and win," Andersen said.

"We are continuing to go forward step by step and we are gradually growing as a team, we work for each other, if someone isn't quite there then the others can work for him and step up a level if necessary.

"The key to our game is the depth of the team, we have good players in each position and we are concentrated.

"We are balanced and the chemistry is there, we all get on together well as a team.
"Hopefully we can keep the team together as the thing is I don't know how good we can be.

"We have not played a game yet when everyone has been awesome, there have been games when some of us have been on top of their game but not all of us together."

Andersen says there is no chance of CSKA, who host Scavolini Pesaro on Wednesday, caving in to pressure with the expectation in Russia growing that they will follow the path set by Barcelona and Maccabi Tel-Aviv the last two seasons and win the Euroleague on home soil.

"That is all in the mind and if we start to think about it, then we would begin to worry," he said.

"But we are confident in ourselves and we know what we are capable of doing. We now have a long unbeaten run and during this time we have played well and badly yet still got the result."

Australian national team coach Brian Goorjian will be happy with Andersen's play because it means his frontline is shaping up rather nicely for FIBA World Championship 2006 in Japan.

Bogut, Anderson and PAOK Thessaloniki's Matthew Nielsen - another expected to play in the NBA one day - all having big seasons.

"We have good guys coming through like Andrew Bogut who is going to the NBA," Andersen said.

"There is not much expectation in Australia, the game isn't very big but it is definitely growing."