What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia and New Zealand withdraw from RLWC

kdalymc

Bench
As a compromise, I wonder if Aus and NZ could form decent teams with European based players? SL is full of them and it would be a good chance for those players to shine, save costs and travel and keep the tournament on track.
I was thinking why not do this the heap of good Aussies over there and a heap of Kiwis would be great

Canard

Immortal
People are being irrational about this.

The West Indies V Australia has just been called off due to a Covid case, the Olympics is having cases daily.

And people want the players to risk their health purely for their entertainment.

Think of the Warriors, for example, they've been living in a bubble for virtually 18 months and now people expect them to go OS for 6 weeks live in a bubble and then have to do 2 weeks HQ when they get home?

That's a huge sacrifice purely for the sake of entertainment.

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
People are being irrational about this.

The West Indies V Australia has just been called off due to a Covid case, the Olympics is having cases daily.

And people want the players to risk their health purely for their entertainment.

Think of the Warriors, for example, they've been living in a bubble for virtually 18 months and now people expect them to go OS for 6 weeks live in a bubble and then have to do 2 weeks HQ when they get home?

That's a huge sacrifice purely for the sake of entertainment.

Now name one professional active athlete anywhere worldwide who has even been hospitalised with covid, i've had covid and dozens of people i know have had covid and it was like a bad dose of the flu.

The risk to a professional athlete is basically zero, there's more chance of them dying driving to training.

I'm not saying it's not a serious illness that can kill people but think of all the athletes worldwide who have tested positive for covid, it's tens of thousands and there's not been a single notable serious reaction.

Canard

Immortal
Now name one professional active athlete anywhere worldwide who has even been hospitalised with covid, i've had covid and dozens of people i know have had covid and it was like a bad dose of the flu.

The risk to a professional athlete is basically zero, there's more chance of them dying driving to training.

I'm not saying it's not a serious illness that can kill people but think of all the athletes worldwide who have tested positive for covid, it's tens of thousands and there's not been a single notable serious reaction.

So based on your detailed medical training, they should just risk the inconvenience for your entertainment?

Even if the health affects are low, which is highly questionable, they would need to go into 2 weeks strict isolation if they contracted it, and it would shut-down any squad that's involved.

Your post was dumb and you should feel dumb for making it.

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
So based on your detailed medical training, they should just risk the inconvenience for your entertainment?

Even if the health affects are low, which is highly questionable, they would need to go into 2 weeks strict isolation if they contracted it, and it would shut-down any squad that's involved.

Your post was dumb and you should feel dumb for making it.

No they should live in a bubble for eternity and shutdown the country every time a case pops up.

Northern

Juniors
Well done NRL Clubs. They basically control Rugby League and are ruining it. Yes there are risks, but when cricket, football, yawnion are all touring it beggars belief that they can’t see how daft it makes them look. As one MP said today, “Never thought I’d see the day when Rugby Union players were harder than Rugby League players.”

Canard

Immortal
Well done NRL Clubs. They basically control Rugby League and are ruining it. Yes there are risks, but when cricket, football, yawnion are all touring it beggars belief that they can’t see how daft it makes them look. As one MP said today, “Never thought I’d see the day when Rugby Union players were harder than Rugby League players.”

ODI suspended due to COVID

1626993439355.png

The Lions are only touring because Sky in effect have forced them too, it's made me less likely to spend money on Sky in the future, as many have said, and I'm sure the majority of Welsh ppl do NOT think that this Lions tour should have taken place. Mark Drakeford is asking everyone not to go abroad. These comments from the RFL and MPs are totally irresponsible and could increase the numbers dying or getting long covid. The way I feel at the moment Simon Johnson should be done for manslaughter. IMO we should not be opening pubs until March.

Surprised no, upset yes. The game has worked damn hard in uk, where it faces enormous challenges, to get govt and corporate support for this tournament and to be spat on by the arlc is a disgrace. Especially given the only reason was their concern about having to delay the start of nrl by a couple of weeks.
If you want to see growth of the international game and get it back to where it was in the 90’s the last thing it needs is it’s credibility constantly undermined by the strongest nation. Imagine the backlash in union of the all blacks behaved like the arlc does.

View attachment 51146
"...the only concerns...", Perthie, that is lies by you. That is not the only thing, in fact it's only you who has mentioned it, prove to me NZ or Oz RL have said that?

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

The Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA) have released the following statement regarding the 2021 Rugby League World Cup.

"The news overnight that Australia and New Zealand will not compete in the 2021 World Cup is no doubt disappointing for players who were hoping to represent their Nations in the tournament," said RLPA Chief Executive Officer, Clint Newton.

"We have had feedback from a number of players eligible for these Nations stating their intentions to compete in the tournament, pending more information becoming available in the coming weeks.

"Clearly, the views of those players have not been enough to prevent this decision and we believe it has been made prematurely.

"We have worked closely with Rugby League World Cup staff for some time now and we are committed to continuing those discussions regarding player health and safety protocols.

"We have an obligation to advocate on behalf of all players to secure the best possible terms and conditions for the tournament, and this remains ongoing.

"For players representing remaining participating Nations, our priority will be to help ensure appropriate health and safety measures are in place, and also provide them with the relevant information to make an informed decision about participation.

"We had anticipated that players from Australia and New Zealand would have that same opportunity, which has unfortunately been taken away from them with last night's decision."

Clint Newton
Chief Executive Officer
Rugby League Players' Association

And id hazard a guess that its short odds most if not all of those tours get cancelled very soon

How many ESL gameshave been cancelled or postponed this season alone? Would be madness to try and bring in 100s of more players into the UK even if its still a few months off

This is a very pragmatic move from both the ARL and the NZRL. Whinge all you want but hard decisions needed to be made

clarency

Juniors
Nothing is new here... It's just reaffirmation of what people don't want to believe.
NRL > rugby league.

It's how it has always been and there is nothing to suggest that will ever change.

Parra

Referee
Appalling decision. Devalues international RL completely & is a good indicator of how the clubs, NRL and players rate internationals.

Matterhorn

Juniors
Appalling decision. Devalues international RL completely & is a good indicator of how the clubs, NRL and players rate internationals.
How binding is a contract? Didn't NZ sign a participation agreement to play. What about the profits from this world cup that would of filtered down to all the Pacific Nations to help grass roots development next year & help keep them going. They haven't play an international in almost 2 years - maybe 3 now if the NRL get there way. Apart from the war years when has there been such a big gap in playing internationals. By the time the next international comes round if this end of year tournament is canned - might mean SOO will have been played for 3 years straight. Hmmm......wonder who that helps in future development. Then Australia finally plays someone & beats them 60-0 & the media pull out the international rugby league is dead card.
Don't forget the last international played involving Australia v Tonga - all that momentum i feel would of ben lost now & we would back to square one.
We are talking about getting into the Olympics - but can't somehow send a team to an international tournament this year.
And what about France hoping to host the next world cup in 2025 - don't you think there government isn't watching this scenario play out now & it may have an impact on their decision & the amount of funding they allocate.
This short term decision i fear may have long term effects for international rugby league moving forward.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"...the only concerns...", Perthie, that is lies by you. That is not the only thing, in fact it's only you who has mentioned it, prove to me NZ or Oz RL have said that?
They’ve said it’s for player welfare, the players have said we want to go. Whose lying?
the risk is virtually zero of any danger other than possibly catching a bout of the flu for these guys who are super fit and will be vaccinated. It’s all about the nrl, always has been and always will be, especially under Vlandys and his puppet.

we need another dally messenger to organise a rebel side!!

Latest posts