What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia and New Zealand withdraw from RLWC

clarency

Juniors
Here's the problem you, and apparently a lot of other people, don't want to face; the NRL and clubs have significantly more to lose both financially and in competition with their local competitors from delaying the NRL a couple of weeks and risking a covid outbreak in their playing group, than they have to gain from participating in the WC. It really is that simple, and sooking about it isn't going to change it.

No it isn't going to change it but don't think we aren't going to declare that it is wrong. A single league shouldn't hold power over the sport worldwide, but it does. That's patently unfair to the other leagues that participate in the sport.

Of all rags, The Guardian has nailed it.

You cant solely blame the ARL for all the ills being suffered by international rugby league. Takes two to tango. I grew up with the Kangaroo tours to England which ran for many weeks and entailed multiple games outside the actual Tests. There was a 1994 tour and one slated for 1998 but never eventuated, due to the outbreak of the Super League war in England. There have been two Test only tours since but nothing since 2003. So I'd say GB rugby League was most responsible for the demise of international rugby league as we knew it. Also during those heady years why didn't GB Lions tour Australia more. Always seemed that our Kangaroos did all the touring. When was the last time we hosted the Poms in a full Test series? Must have been yonks as I have forgotten. Wasn't there an effort to resurrect the Kangaroo tour last year but Covid spoiled the show?

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thats
Issue isnt the players contracting it and getting sick, which is still a risk to even "super fit" people. The issue is them possibly contracting it and bringing it back to family/friends/whoever who is possibly unvaccinated and vulnerable. Even people who are vaccinated can contract Covid 19 and pass it on, their symptoms and risk of servere reaction is just lessened.

Blame the Aust and NZ governments for bottling the vaccine roll out, its ultimately on their heads and one of the biggest drivers here.
that's why they’d go into two weeks quarantine, which they seemed happy to do fir the honour of representing their country.

Jim from Oz

Juniors
OK for what it's worth, I just sent this to the nrl.com/conact us "comments" section:

https://www.nrl.com/contact-us

I also sent it to: feedback@nrl.com.au

To whom it may concern,

I’m a 57-year-old Sydney man who has been a fanatical rugby league supporter since the age of age 11, when I first discovered my beloved North Sydney Bears.

I am writing to express my complete and utter disgust at the ARLC decision to boycott the World Cup.

This event has been five years in the planning, has attracted record sponsorship, yet the ARLC has shown absolutely no regard for the massive damage it is doing to the international game of rugby league by this action.

The idea that this is about safety concerns surrounding Covid does not wash, as the RLWC organisers have bent over backwards to deal with those concerns.

You also say the players need to rest, yet half the teams will be back after two weeks of the tournament when they are eliminated, a week later another four teams will be back after the quarter-finals, and so on. Only the two teams in the final will be there for the last week.

The ARLC has thrown an atomic bomb into the middle of international rugby league, risking the game worldwide – and there is no hyperbole in saying that.
I can't emphasise enough how absolutely disgusted beyond belief I am in this short-sighted decision.

Matua

Bench
The Kiwis are my last true team I support (now that the Warriors seem to have decided to be little more than an Australian club with a mandate to hire as many of the dropkicks in NRL that they can get their hands on) so I'm gutted I wont be able to see them play.

But, I think it would have been particularly tough on players to go from the NRL (where they're all sequestered in QLD), then play a long tournament, and then back into quarantine all before Xmas.

Some players (this only via media asking specific players theoretically too) are saying they want to play now, but I bet there would have been drop outs closer to the comp - from Oz, NZ and PI teams.

Postpone it a year, when everyone is vaxxed up. It's not like it's always been on a schedule.

So Mr Vlandys has expected the NZ Warriors stay out of country for a season and a half …In a country with far greater COVID issues than their homeland….

yet does not trust the UK to host a tournament for 4 weeks…

The NZ cricket team was ok enough to spend that amount of time in the UK, so too India… The Euro footballs championships recently, and other teams before them…

When Vlandys quotes “player welfare” it’s a cop out. It’s more likely they don’t want to spend the money to send a team there..

if the shoe was on the other foot and England / NZ boycotted an Australian tournament - I wonder what his reaction would be…

The ARLC for all too long a time has thumbed its nose at the UK… and continues to do so. We hear noises about “promoting international rugby league” yet do nothing for England and continue to do so - the game originated in England yet the ARLC treat them with contempt…

Now it’s Vlandys turn…

The English game really needs the boost of a World Cup… it’s struggling over there far more than people realise..

now Vlandys has cut the cord…. Yes NZRL too… but it’s just further proof to me this bloke is a self-righteous narcissist with only his own interests at heart.. not the greater good of the sport.
Time for V'landys to fall on his sword. His term has come to an end

The Kiwis are my last true team I support (now that the Warriors seem to have decided to be little more than an Australian club with a mandate to hire as many of the dropkicks in NRL that they can get their hands on) so I'm gutted I wont be able to see them play.

But, I think it would have been particularly tough on players to go from the NRL (where they're all sequestered in QLD), then play a long tournament, and then back into quarantine all before Xmas.

Some players (this only via media asking specific players theoretically too) are saying they want to play now, but I bet there would have been drop outs closer to the comp - from Oz, NZ and PI teams.

Postpone it a year, when everyone is vaxxed up. It's not like it's always been on a schedule.
How do we know things will be any better in years time, we don't
This is a cowardly act by the NZRL and the ARL and to think rge NZ Cricket team have just return from a tour of Engalnd
Lol. Idiot.
He's right

Surprised no, upset yes. The game has worked damn hard in uk, where it faces enormous challenges, to get govt and corporate support for this tournament and to be spat on by the arlc is a disgrace. Especially given the only reason was their concern about having to delay the start of nrl by a couple of weeks.
If you want to see growth of the international game and get it back to where it was in the 90’s the last thing it needs is it’s credibility constantly undermined by the strongest nation. Imagine the backlash in union of the all blacks behaved like the arlc does.

View attachment 51146
This is food drink for union here now with the union team touring the UK this coming spring along with the AB's

After a life of playing Rugby League, coaching and then 20 years as an adminstrater, I officially announce my withdrawal of all support for this game as a direct result of this decision by the NRL. f**k them.
You won't be alone. Many more will follow sadly by this cowardly act by the ARL and NZRL

Pfftt cowards. Hope they get sanctioned but probably not. They just ran the euros there for god sake abs that’s a much bigger event.
The British government has put money into this event and will no doubt sue the NZRL for compensation. With the NZRL almost penniless will the NRL pay $1 million compensation the British government will want?

No it isn't going to change it but don't think we aren't going to declare that it is wrong. A single league shouldn't hold power over the sport worldwide, but it does. That's patently unfair to the other leagues that participate in the sport.

Hmmm.....

Sounds a bit like Indian Cricket...

Many Australians accuse the BCCI (Board of Control of Cricket in India) of taking advantage of it's power in the world Cricket. And any time the Indian Team doesn't agree to something (which some see as heavy-handed inlfuencing, or even bullying) - they get taken to task in the media and socials by many..

I wonder what those same people would think in this situation...

Latest posts