What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia to play SIX game T20 series v Pakistan

Tom Shines

First Grade
http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/story/569940.html

The ICC has approved a six-match Twenty20 series between Pakistan and Australia, which if it goes ahead will be the longest bilateral T20 series ever staged by international sides.

The PCB had originally been keen to lock in a series of three T20s and three ODIs in the United Arab Emirates in August, but the extreme heat at that time of year raised serious concerns from Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers' Association.

The ICC has a rule limiting the number of matches in a bilateral T20 series to three, but countries can ask for special dispensation to hold a longer series in exceptional circumstances. The PCB's struggle to find a suitable venue for an ODI series in August prompted a proposal for a six-match T20 series, which has been approved at the ICC Chief Executives' meeting in Kuala Lumpur.

"The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) requested support for the flexibility to stage a six-match Twenty20 International series against Australia potentially in the United Arab Emirates in August," the ICC said in a statement. "This request required a special dispensation from the CEC and then the ICC Board as the current regulation permits only three T20I in a series.

"Because of the extreme daytime heat in the UAE at that time of the year, the CEC raised no objections to the principle of a six-match T20I series replacing the scheduled series of three ODIs and three T20Is should the PCB elect to make that switch."

A Cricket Australia spokesman told ESPNcricinfo on Monday afternoon CA was still waiting for further details of the series from the PCB.

A number of three-match T20 series have been held between international sides in the past, but never have four or more games been approved by the ICC.

The six games will provide an excellent opportunity for both sides to finalise their preparations for the ICC World T20, which takes place in Sri Lanka in September.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Horrie Is God

First Grade
FMD..

The writing is on the wall for ODI's..

I reckon the 2015 ODI World Cup will be the last..

The 20/20 circus will inevitably swallow real cricket too..

Hopefully i am long gone by then..

Timbo

Staff member
Calm down.

It was originally meant to be ODIs in Sri Lanka. Then the Sri Lankans said they couldn't host.

The UAE became the only possible venue. The Australian Players Association said they would not play ODIs in the UAE at that time of year because at 2pm in the afternoon, the average temperature in Dubai is 42 degrees and had health risks.

The only options were to cancel the whole series, or change it to T20s.

I hate T20 as much as the next person. But this has nothing to do with it being a preferred format.

Latest posts