What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia vs Rest of the world

Greenblooded

Juniors
Wouldn't it be great if a Rest of the world team could take on Aussie test match like the cricket to raise money for the Tsunami victims.
I realise it would be difficult as it is the offseason and clubs are training and getting prepared for the new season, but I'm sure it would get a big crowd in England

in england again, do the english players have it written in their contracts that they arn't to travel to new zealand and australia to play

Darth Bobo

The only way the poms can beat us is off a 16hr plane ride and no warm up matches.

But I would love to see a combined NZ and Pommy side belting into us. Still want to see Australia win of course, but having the result in doubt for a while will make an interesting change.

AdamH

Juniors
I don't think it would really be about the result of the match though. I think greenblooded is referring to money that would raised from the match.

Greenblooded

Juniors
AdamH said:
I don't think it would really be about the result of the match though. I think greenblooded is referring to money that would raised from the match.

Exactly, as much as I would love to watch the match live over here, I think the gate takings would be far higher in England.

Greenblooded

Juniors
douglasallen91 said:
why don't they play a match in say sri lanka or indonesia as an invitational match to raise funds

I think you'd find bugger all people would turn up to watch it.

I think they have more than enough money know considering that India and Thailand have stated they do not want any money or help.

I have a feeling there is going to be a real problem accounting of the money that was donated to australia and international aid agencies with much going missing like the italy and iran earthquake appeal's

I think after the concert on Saturday night and the cricket game today everyone is going to be over the whole charity events. No offence.

It would be better off having the Charity Shield and donating some of the money to the cause.

Also if you think any of the top NRL clubs would release their players to play in a meaningless game in England you are dead set dreaming.

The Observer

Staff member
Great idea. Here are possible teams:

AUSTRALIA (based on Tri Nations 2004, taking injuries into account)
Minichiello; Tate, Berrigan, Tonga, Rooney; Lockyer, Kimmorley; Carroll, Kennedy, Hindmarsh; Civoniceva, Buderus, Webcke.
BENCH: Fitzgibbon, Ryan, Wing, Cooper
REPLACEMENTS: Clinton, Bowen
EMERGENCY: Waterhouse

REST OF THE WORLD
1. Hazem El Masri (Lebanon & Australia)
2. Brian Carney (Ireland & GB)
3. Vinnie Anderson (NZ)
4. Keith Senior (England & GB)
5. Marcus Bai (PNG)
6. Danny McGuire (England & GB)
7. Maxime Gresque (France)
13. Sonny Bill Williams (NZ)
12. Tony Puletua (NZ)
11. Andrew Farrell (England & GB)
10. Stuart Fielden (England & GB)
9. Louis Anderson (NZ)
8. Adrian Morley (England & GB)

BENCH:
14. Paul Rauhihi (NZ) (prop)
15. Djamel Fakir (France) (prop/backrow)
16. Dene Halatau (NZ) (utility)
17. Gareth Ellis (GB) (centre/backrow)

REPLACEMENTS
18. Shontayne Hape (NZ)
19. Jamie Peacock (GB)

theicemandanno

Juniors
The Observer said:
Great idea. Here are possible teams:

AUSTRALIA (based on Tri Nations 2004, taking injuries into account)
Minichiello; Tate, Berrigan, Tonga, Rooney; Lockyer, Kimmorley; Carroll, Kennedy, Hindmarsh; Civoniceva, Buderus, Webcke.
BENCH: Fitzgibbon, Ryan, Wing, Cooper
REPLACEMENTS: Clinton, Bowen
EMERGENCY: Waterhouse

REST OF THE WORLD
1. Hazem El Masri (Lebanon & Australia)
2. Brian Carney (Ireland & GB)
3. Vinnie Anderson (NZ)
4. Keith Senior (England & GB)
5. Marcus Bai (PNG)
6. Danny McGuire (England & GB)
7. Maxime Gresque (France)
13. Sonny Bill Williams (NZ)
12. Tony Puletua (NZ)
11. Andrew Farrell (England & GB)
10. Stuart Fielden (England & GB)
9. Louis Anderson (NZ)
8. Adrian Morley (England & GB)

BENCH:
14. Paul Rauhihi (NZ) (prop)
15. Djamel Fakir (France) (prop/backrow)
16. Dene Halatau (NZ) (utility)
17. Gareth Ellis (GB) (centre/backrow)

REPLACEMENTS
18. Shontayne Hape (NZ)
19. Jamie Peacock (GB)

Hindmarsh wont be there, he had back surgery. I think SOnny Bill is on the shelf also

Big Mick

Referee
Rest Of The World:

1. Iestyn Harris
2. Paul Wellens
3. Martin Gleeson
4. Nigel Vagana
5. Brian Carney
6. Danny McGuire
7. Stacey Jones
8. Paul Rauhihi
9. Robbie Paul
10. Stuart Fielden
11. Tony Puletua
12. Adrian Morley
13. Andrew Farrell

14. Sonny Bill Williams
15. Ruban Wiki
16. Djamel Fakir
17. Jamie Peacock

AUSTRALIA:
1. Matthew Bowen
2. Luke Rooney
3. Willie Tonga
4. Matt Cooper
5. Anthony Minichello
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Matt Orford
8. Jason Ryles
9. Danny Buderus
10. Luke Bailey
11. Andrew Ryan
12. Craig Fitzgibbon
13. Ben Kennedy

14. Craig Wing
15. Shane Tronc
16. Trent Waterhouse
17. Petro Civoniceiva

A few Guys making their debuts, like Tronc and Orford, but I think they up to the task. Given O'meley, Mason are injured and I think Webcke is a bit old for representative football and I think it'd hurt him to play this match, i've left him out.

I think it'd be a great attacking match.

Big Mick

Referee
I think a better idea would be to have the World Club Challenge as a sort of Charity match however.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The problem with charity matches in League (unike cricket) is the significant injury risk involved. Every time a player steps ontl the fielfd theres a good chance he'll get injured, and therefore clubs are understandably gun-shy about players playing any additional matches.