What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Coach

oz

Juniors
Im not sure if this question has been raised on her before but who do people think should be the coach of the Kangaroos ?

Personally i'd want it to be someone who isnt currently in a coaching role with one of the NRL teams as it would obviously appear that such a role interferes with the team selection process.

Im not sure who you could get to fill the role but I think that the current situation where the suggestion is out there that Kimmorley will get the Number 7 due to Andersons influence makes a mockery of the Green & Gold jersey as there are halfbacks in the top grade playing much better than the bloke leading around the team in 14th position in the competition.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I wouldn't knock Kimmorley's claims - he has ben there and done well for Australia before. I think the selectors have done worse by us than our coach. How many Bronco nuffies regularly get a gong (Tate, Carlaw, Myers, Webb et al)?

I reckon Anderson has done a great job with the 'roos. Bozo - another great coach, always used tolose the first test to the Poms. Anderson's record last year speaks for itself.

Aside from him, I'd say John Lang would be a good option.

But I do prefer the idea of a non aligned National Coach, in a fulltime position of national coaching co-ordinator. That way they could oversee the national side, and nurture those in charge of developnig the test players of the future.That way they could make it an attractive position for any capable coach without making them seek a club coaching position.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
I'd like to see Sterlo have a dig at it.

Apart from his playing history, I don't think he has strong links with any club at the moment (not even the Eels... he tips against them most of the time).

He has a good footy brain and while he doesn't have time to take on a full-time coaching role for a club, I'd like to see him have a go at coaching the national team.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Misty Bee said:
How many Bronco nuffies regularly get a gong (Tate, Carlaw, Myers, Webb et al)?
It is so easy to bag Meyers off that it's hard to remember that he did deserve test selection in 2001. He was great, unfortunately he has never been the same since the high shot in the test match. Carlaw is the same, he deserved it in 2001. However, I'll be the first to admit that he shouldn't have made the side for the match against NZ this year.

Webb? You mean the Carl Webb who has never played for Australia? :roll: :lol:

Perhaps Tate shouldn't have been in the test match last year, but after having that honour he has become one of the best all-round centres in the game.

salivor

First Grade
I hate to make you look like a fool as usual Misty Bee but Meyers has only played one test and that was 3 years ago. Tate has only played two and Webb has never played for Australia. Carlaw is hardly a nuffy either, he didn't deserve his jersey this year but in previous years hes been good enough to be there.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Gould has a good tactical mind and is good at motivating certain teams (look at his origin record) however he's a dickhead who has alientated himself from many in the game.... if he wasnt such a dick he'd be a good choice.

I think that not only should the coach be not the coach of a club or origin side, but I also beleieve that the coach should not have a say in who's in the team. The selectors are there to select those who have EARNED the jersey, not to suck off a coach cos he wants his fav player in the side.

Kimmorly may have played well in the past, but what the f**k do guys like Sherwin, Gower, and Orford have to do to get a decent go?

knightingale

Juniors
Phil Gould all the way.

An absolute super coach. Shame certain sections of the media need to try and destroy him. Jealousy is all I can think off.

JoeD

First Grade
Besides selecting the team wht does the australian coach actually do? In a non WC situation he has the players for a few days and takes a couple of training runs. He looks at the players he has got and decides on a game plan. With the current state of the international game, you could pick any first grade coach in the comp and the aussies would still win.

Ultima

Juniors
Matthew Elliot :D

He would be great but that isn't going to happen for a year or so still so how about Mal?

Matt23

Staff member
John Lang or Mal Meninga. I think Anderson has enough on his plate with the Sharks.

Anonymous

Juniors
If we're serious about promoting international League and a level playing field, we should give Wayne Pearce a shot. Might give the pommies a even chance.

Ultima

Juniors
Based on a few super league games I've watched this year I thought they might be a bit better... Then I noticed all the best players were retired Australians :)

The one thing that's good about super league is that they do NOT tolerate people being turned over on their back or other obvious play the ball slow down attempts... Would be nice to see the same style of refereeing here...

Latest posts