What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian: Riddell shelves dancing ways

Nickeel

Juniors
Riddell shelves dancing ways
Stuart Honeysett and Brent Read
August 17, 2005

PARRAMATTA hooker Mark Riddell has ruled out any flamboyant post-try celebrations when he lines up against his former club St George Illawarra in Sunday's blockbuster at Kogarah Oval.

Riddell flagged his intentions yesterday after the joint-venture club announced the match would be attended by the Dragons' No.1 ticket holder, Prime Minister John Howard, and new NSW premier Morris Iemma and had officially sold out.

Riddell scored the final try against the Bulldogs on Friday night and celebrated with a little jig and spin on the ground, but he won't try anything similar in front of a capacity crowd who still resent his decision to join the Eels.

"I definitely won't be doing anything this Sunday," Riddell said, adding the red-and-white army had given him a hard time when Parramatta defeated the Dragons last month.

"I've heard it all over the last few years, so nothing really fazes me these days from the crowds."

There was speculation Riddell's post-try celebration against the Bulldogs was prompted after he had been sledged during the game by Test prop Willie Mason, but the 24-year-old said that had all been in good fun.

"I'm pretty good mates with him and ... we had a bit of a laugh about it after the game," Riddell said. "I wasn't even thinking about him when I did it, so it had nothing to do with him.

"I've played against Willie since we were 16 in the juniors, so there's nothing in it."

Riddell gets on well with his former team-mates. He said he had patched up any differences with the club's administration after the parties traded heated words at the start of the year.

Riddell made comments about the level of professionalism when he joined the Eels. It did not sit well with Dragons chief executive Peter Doust. "I've spoken to 'Browny' (coach Nathan Brown) and 'Dousty' over the last few weeks," Riddell said. "We've been to various functions, so everything's sweet there.

"I had to move on so I really couldn't have any regrets about (leaving the club).

"It was a salary cap issue and that was the only reason I left."

The winner of Sunday's game is likely to be installed as the latest favourite to win the premiership, but Riddell said the Eels' sole focus was to consolidate a position in the top two.

Parramatta will be without in-form team-mate Timana Tahu for the game. The former Test winger sustained a small break to his right hand last Friday night. He is expected to miss up to four weeks.

Dragons centre Matt Cooper will miss the game with a hamstring strain.

In other team news, Manly coach Des Hasler has named a 21-man squad for his side's crucial match with Cronulla on Sunday.

The Sea Eagles are without representative prop Brent Kite (knee) and NSW forward Ben Kennedy is in doubt with a severely corked thigh.

Canberra coach Matthew Elliott has also named an extended squad as injuries mount in the nation's capital. The Raiders are four points outside the top eight and need to beat North Queensland on Saturday night.

Cowboys coach Graham Murray has dumped Shane Tronc and picked youngster Matthew Scott.

Brisbane has named Casey McGuire at five-eighth in place of injured captain Darren Lockyer (hamstring).

Warriors hooker Monty Betham will miss his side's game with Newcastle on Saturday night after pleading guilty to a grade one dangerous throw.

Sharks youngster Cameron Ciraldo will also miss a week after pleading guilty to a high tackle.

Manly centre Steve Matai will front the judiciary after pleading not guilty to a careless high tackle.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,16285379%255E2722,00.html

Cue some Dragons fan posting a picture of Riddell and a Big Mac. :roll:

Nick

Latest posts