What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Team

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
waiting for officiall media release but the team is

hunt
king
hodges
gasnier
inglis
lockyer
thurston
mason
smith
civonaciva
hindmarsh
o'donnell
maitua

berrigan
ryan
o'meley
kite

(a couple of positions may be switched around)

Mr_E

Juniors
Surely Jarrad could have fit in there somewhere. But who to drop? The whole back five look like almost cert's.

strider

Post Whore
strong team - all spots well deserved - jarryd's time will come (maybe not too far off???)

thanks scoop jess!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Mr_E said:
Surely Jarrad could have fit in there somewhere. But who to drop? The whole back five look like almost cert's.

he'll get his chance...it's a fine looking side and one that I hope doesn't change [with the exception of Hayne coming in] through out the the tri series ;-)

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Jarryd will/should play sooner rather than later.

5 debutantes, Inglis, Hodges, Smith, Maitua, Kite.

Good pack, should win this Saturday.

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
Im just thankful that Hayne is even mentioned along side that backline, cause that is one bloody good backline!

The fact that Hayne has a chance to be apart of that, is incredible really considering the amount of games he has played

p.s gooo hindy :clap:

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Tuesday, 10th October 2006

MEDIA RELEASE

Australian coach Ricky Stuart has today named the following players for Game 1 of the Gillette Tri Nations match against New Zealand at Mt Smart Stadium, Auckland on Saturday October 14th.

Position
Player
Club

Fullback
Karmichael Hunt
Brisbane Broncos

Wing Matt King Melbourne Storm
Centre
Mark Gasnier
St George Illawarra Dragons

Centre
Justin Hodges
Brisbane Broncos

Wing
Greg Inglis
Melbourne Storm

Five Eighth Darren Lockyer (c) Brisbane Broncos

Half Back
Johnathan Thurston
Nth QLD Cowboys

Prop Forward
Willie Mason
Bulldogs

Hooker
Cameron Smith
Melbourne Storm

Prop Forward
Petero Civoniceva
Brisbane Broncos

Second Row
Luke O’Donnell
Nth QLD Cowboys

Second Row
Nathan Hindmarsh
Parramatta Eels

Lock Forward
Reni Maitua
Bulldogs

Interchange
Mark O’Meley
Bulldogs

Interchange
Shaun Berrigan
Brisbane Broncos

Interchange
Andrew Ryan
Bulldogs

Interchange
Brent Kite
Manly Sea Eagles

Parra Guru

Coach
Strong yet so Predictable. I really wish sometimes they would just have the balls to choose someone different. I really would have liked to see Hayne and Hornby in there.

Thurston plays 1 game back from injury and walks it in.. Hornby had a great finals series and his kicking game improves with every game.

Inglis and Gasnier on the same side in defence could be a worry

hineyrulz

Post Whore
good looking side i think the kiwi's will have there work cut out for them. would loved to have seen hayne get a start but that is a pretty impressive back line. oh yeah go hindy wooo hooo

Kite on the bench?

Australia must be like Parra - short of props.

Other than that a decent side, and I don't think NZ have too bad a side either.

Hellsy

Immortal
Well done to all who made the first team :clap: :clap: :clap:

Myabe Jarryd is still under a bit of an injury cloud, although so is Hodges....
Inglis or King would surely move to centre 4 Hodges though should he not be able to play, maybe then there would be room for Jarryd

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
according to Sticky at Fox last week, Jarryd was gonna play, but Sportal reported he has a hamstring and will have to wait till the second game to get a run

http://www.sportal.com.au/league.asp?i=news&id=89398

Hodges, Hayne unlikely
Sportal

Injured duo Justin Hodges and Jarryd Hayne have both been given until Monday to overcome hamstring injuries or they will miss out on Australia's Tri-Nations opener against New Zealand on Saturday.

Neither Hodges nor Hayne trained with the squad in Sydney on Saturday, with both players limited to boxing drills.

Dally M Medal winner Cameron Smith also failed to train with the side, but is expected to overcome his knee injury he sustained in Melbourne's grand final loss to Brisbane.

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart said that Hodges was less likely to take on the Kiwis in Auckland than Haynes.

"It's always a bit nervous when you've got a problem such as a hamstring because you just don't know the extent of it."

"But (team doctor) Hugh Hazzard is very confident that if he does miss this first game he'll be available for game two."

Hazzard himself was confident of helping both players overcome their injuries.

"We'll be doing a lot of physiotherapy with them and just assess them day by day," Hazzard said.

"I'm still confident they'll respond."

NRL Rookie of the Year Hayne felt his break between the NRL season and the Prime Minister's XIII match against Papua New Guinea had been a major reason for his injury.

"I hadn't played for a couple of weeks before Papua New Guinea and I think that game knocked me about a bit," he said.

"It twinged again on Thursday but it's getting better every day. I think by Monday I should be sweet."

"I have no expectations of playing, I'm just glad to be in the team and train with them."

Smith, meanwhile, declared himself a certain starter, despite not training.

"It was a bit sore when we had the medical (on Thursday) but today it's pretty good," Smith said.

"All the swelling has gone down, there's still a little bit of soreness there but I've just seen the doctors again and they said I'll be 100-per cent come game time."

"They can't see any problems with playing the first game."

TheParraboy

Staff member
Mr_E said:

Should be interesting to see who they drop when Lyon is available for game 2 ;-)

TheParraboy said:
Should be interesting to see who they drop when Lyon is available for game 2 ;-)
i don't think ANY player from overseas should get a walk up start into a green and gold jersey over current nrl players next year if his form warrants it put him in but not before