What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Test Team against New Zealand

Kaz

junior
Anthony Minichiello, Luke Rooney, Shaun Berrigan, Willie Tonga, Matt Sing, Darren Lockyer (capt), Craig Gower, Shane Webcke, Danny Buderus, Jason Ryles, Willie Mason, Nathan Hindmarsh, Tonie Carroll. Interchange: Craig Wing, Petero Civoniceva, Ben Kennedy, Andrew Ryan.
18th man: Shaun Timmins.

Lockyer is the goal kicker as well.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Good to see Rooney make the side, good on ya mate! I don't know about Carroll at lock.. and Kennedy off the bench!

Top side though.

Ray

Juniors
Why would you start Caroll ahead of better players in Kennedy and co? Interesting. At least Wiki now has more chances of smashing the hell out of him. :lol:

I know League is a team game, but just for the sake of it, I think these are the only positions where we have an advantage in:

Wing (Matt Utai), Prop (Ruben Wiki), Lock (Sonny Bill), Bench (Asotasi and maybe Kidwell)

ozboy

Juniors
Good team and should really beat the kiwis by 20+ points. Some controversial picks, Carroll and Civoniceva. Carroll is really only there because he is strong in defence but once Fitzgibbon comes back he should drop out. O'Meley on form was better than Civoniceva, but Bennett must share my view that O'Meley is too small and skinny and would be monstered by the Kiwi pack, like he was in the GF. Berrigan is a good player and was the Broncos only real attacking option with Lockyer towards the end of the season and in the playoffs, while the pack should dominate after the initial first 20 minutes where it will be a war. Kiwis for me only have a better player on a wing (Utai) and at lock (Sonny Bill) but other than that the Aussies are all better and should win comfortably.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Utai will be carrying an injury, and will be marked up on Matt Sing, who owned him in the finals.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Ray said:
Why would you start Caroll ahead of better players in Kennedy and co? Interesting.

I agree Carroll doesn't deserve to start but he is heaps better than BK he is shit!

I'd prefer to play Ryan there if anything or they could have selected Waterhouse or chuck in Timmins.

O'Meley deserves to be there before Ryles.

stubbsie

Juniors
I agree Carroll doesn't deserve to start but he is heaps better than BK he is sh*t!

Ben kennedy offers a lot more in attack than Carrol who is a better defender. Kennedy is a big game player and can be one of the most dominate running backrowers in the world. He is also one of the few experienced australian players on tour and will play a leadership role on and off the field.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Anthony Minichiello, Luke Rooney, Shaun Berrigan, Willie Tonga, Matt Sing, Darren Lockyer (capt), Craig Gower, Shane Webcke, Danny Buderus, Jason Ryles, Willie Mason, Nathan Hindmarsh, Tonie Carroll. Interchange: Craig Wing, Petero Civoniceva, Ben Kennedy, Andrew Ryan.

Lockyer is the goal kicker as well.

Good side. I have a few problems

a. Bowen should be fullback- Minchello on the wing and Rooney out
b. O'Meley for Ryles with Ryles going to the Bench for Civonoceva
c. put anyone but kennedy in the side- he is rubbish and it would be a surprise if he actually lasts a whole game!
d. I am surprised that Tonga is there but I am not complaining becuase Tonga deserves to be there!
e. Berrigan and Carroll were ALWAYS going to be there! :clap:

Broncodroid

Juniors

Hmm...I will share my opinion, to say I am p#ssed at the non selection of Mark O'Meley is a massive understatement.

The Backline

Pretty much what I had selected barring the selection of Berrigan who was in and out of the Bronco lineup this season and failed to play an Origin game due to injury from memory (or did he partake in game 3 ? I am certain he was a non event).

In place of Berrigan, I had Brent Tate who was solid this season and deservs to be in there ahead of Berrigan. Defensively, Tate is the equal of any outside back and in attack will always be a chance to score from anywhere on the park given his acceleration. Wayne Bennett just proved my selection theory right for when we look at the Broncos in 2005, Tate WILL BE on the wing with Hodges in the centres with Berrigan.

The Forwards

[Massive spray coming for Bennett & the selectors]

Ok, Craig Fitzgibbon was always in doubt for this one as reported last week, I have no problems with the inclusion of Mason though IMO, if you include Andrew Ryan in the 17, start Ryan and bring Mason off the bench where his impact will be ideal and has been in the past when used in this manner.

Tony Carroll will not let the side down at 13. (No, I did not have him in there as I, like many, thought he was a kiwi. Moving on, old news not needed to be rehashed)

Ok, the non selection of Mark O'Meley! What a f'ing joke this is.

Some blokes in the selection room at rep time are blessed, Nik Kosef was one, Kimmorley springs to mind of late, Ryles could be another. Don't get me wrong, Ryles when fit is amongst the best at his position, but if we are selecting this side on form, Mark is in there before Webcke or Ryles ! Ryles did come on strong late in the season, but he was not better than Mark, though I would give you the nod if you wanted to argue he was better than Webcke who struggled with injury.

The sad thing for O'Meley is this, Ryles will not let us down. He is a proven prop who has struggled with injury, when fit, again, he is amongst the best in the 8 or 10 jersey. Mark will now struggle to earn a birth in the side unless injury occurs. This is a selection where Ryles has more fans that Mark...so be it, politics has always played apart in the League sadly. I was hoping Wayne Bennett would rise above that and put his foot down calling for the form player...with regret, he has not.

Shane Webcke is one of my favourite players in the game, with good reason as well being a Bronco fan. But I was disappointed with Shane in the Origin series were he was upstaged by Mark O'Meley quite simply. The passing of the torch had started in my book.

In the late rounds the big fella' was injured admittedly as well, but one of my theory's in League is this, a player leaves excuses in the dressing room the minute he walks onto the field...Webcke is not excluded. If I was picking a side on form, he is not ahead of Mark, Petero or Jason Ryles. Some big time players earn the right to be selected on past performances, Webcke fits that billing and I would of had him partnering Mark.

The bench is fine by me, admittedly, I did not have the human OH & S hazard known as Ben Kennedy in my 23 man squad. If he is fit, he will add some aggression that will be needed.

Australia will win, I have no doubt on the back of good go forward and classier backs in key position.

To the selectors, Bennett and whoever else has a say... :roll: You nearly got this right in my book.

My side based on the above:

1. Anthony Minichello
2. Luke Rooney
3. Brent Tate for Shaun Berrigan
4. Willie Tonga
5. Matt Sing
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Craig Gower
8. Shane Webcke
9. Danny Buderus
10. Mark O'Meley for Jason Ryles
11. Nathan Hindmarsh