What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PNG's back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Being based in png in an athletes village is way better

tax incentives will make it attractive to lure players
Haha you backflip better than david Fifita and DCE put together. what happened to your insistence they were going to based in cairns?

MugaB

Coach
He will say he predicted all along that it'd be based in PNG, just like he claims to have predicted everything else that has ever happened.
I'm not sure you guys have read the room, PVLs plans for the pacifika style team evolved into whoever had an existing bid, then cows kicked up a stink, now it's bow to whoever has the funding for it... whatever pvl is doing is purely pivoting more than tedesco, but still in hopes of breaking through the line, the easier option was to just let East tigers rebrand and become no.18, he now has pushed the case to create a team in a foreign 3rd world country and make it profitable, then anyone who bids after that would be an easy shoe-in, or at least have bring something considerable to the table, coz that in itself would be impossible for another code in aus to pull off.

Only reason the clubs will entertain this idea will be coz pvl has some major plan to gain them all more money... I don't see the end game there, other than tapping into 10 million population of probable athletes, and not having to pay for it, they are obviously backing the NRLs skill in transforming the average cup player into 1st graders.
That and mediawise will get him and the NRL as front page news around the world, instantly gaining eye balls towards our game, to be honest lasvegas was great, but it might as well be a footnote in the media as much as the state of origin held in California. he has a history of bucking the trend and making people upset to garner attention, he did it with the Everest

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The eyes of the world won't care about an NRL team in a third world country.

There are literally hundreds of soccer teams in third world countries.

The only reason the media will get involved is when it goes balls up.

Eion

First Grade
He won't do it unless money is guaranteed.
And I haven’t seen any guarantee from the libs on this. I’d be surprised if it was there as it’s another thing the libs can wave around as Albo wasting money on stupid shit.

MugaB

Coach
The eyes of the world won't care about an NRL team in a third world country.

There are literally hundreds of soccer teams in third world countries.

The only reason the media will get involved is when it goes balls up.
Soccer is the world sport, of course no one cares, it's a simple product with simple rules, and is meant to be no contact, gridiron is a complex contact sport only played in North America for a reason, (boring as it is)
Rugba lieg is as complex yet has the brutal aspect of gridiron without the padding, we are superior to the ol rugby , and as flashy as the nfl, the product is way better, it will make noise
It's not about the world view, it's just about the potential to sell it to the broadcasters over there

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Soccer is the world sport, of course no one cares, it's a simple product with simple rules, and is meant to be no contact, gridiron is a complex contact sport only played in North America for a reason, (boring as it is)
Rugba lieg is as complex yet has the brutal aspect of gridiron without the padding, we are superior to the ol rugby , and as flashy as the nfl, the product is way better, it will make noise
It's not about the world view, it's just about the potential to sell it to the broadcasters over there
I can't see how a team in PNG will be attractive to US or European television.

MugaB

Coach
I can't see how a team in PNG will be attractive to US or European television.
It by itself won't, the collection of all clubs should, it really has thus far like maxi said las vegas was a hit for us in aus, the US didn't see it anywhere different from Union, think of the idea of Jamaican world cup team... as far as we knew Jamaica scrapped thru the qualifiers to just make it into the RLWC21, so it created intrest to see how they went, after they got toweled up, it was meh.. but the interest drew people in, once they do that then the sport gets showcased

Last edited:

Pippen94

First Grade
And I haven’t seen any guarantee from the libs on this. I’d be surprised if it was there as it’s another thing the libs can wave around as Albo wasting money on stupid shit.

Maybe, tho they could lock something in contract wise. Parties bipartisan when it comes to China in the Pacific. Outside of election campaign I see libs supporting this too.

docbrown

Coach
I'm not surprised that the NRL is pushing for the stadium and compound. I've said it myself multiple times. And this is where I would put it:

1716081222980.png
This is the marina and embassy district so there are armed security personnel all over the place. That's actually the US Embassy above the field. The highway basically leads to the airport.

All the upper class in PNG live around there.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Good discussion on Offsiders with Ryan Hoffman about PNG. He said the main concern for players and officials moving there would be living conditions. He rasied the security concerns but added that living in a compound where you ‘can’t go down the shops’ would not be ideal either. Lots of work still to come here.

Bukowski

Juniors
Good discussion on Offsiders with Ryan Hoffman about PNG. He said the main concern for players and officials moving there would be living conditions. He rasied the security concerns but added that living in a compound where you ‘can’t go down the shops’ would not be ideal either. Lots of work still to come here.
It will take ridiculously huge money to get the top liners there. They'll get someone for the first year but they won't last living in a compound. Maybe guys with only a year left in them will grab the cash

docbrown

Coach
All of those are legitimate concerns. There's a supermarket literally across the road from the site that I pointed out. This is a list of the nearby embassies nearby. All their families go around these areas without many problems.

1716085771116.png

Latest posts