What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australia's squad for the T20I WORLD CUP 2014?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Tournament for this years 20/20 international WC starts mid March 2014, held in Bangladesh. We have 2 warm up games vs the kiwis 19th and 21st March.

Assuming its a 15 man squad, What's your squad?

This would be mine. Though with the BBL only about a 1/4 of the way through, no doubt a couple of untried standouts will demand to be picked come the final

Australia t20i XI

Finch
Warner
Watson
Burns
Bailey ©
Maxwell
Faulkner
Paine (wk)
Johnson
Hogg
McKay

Reserves:
Lynn (reserve batsman)
Cutting (reserve all rounder)
Sandhu (reserve pace bowler)
S O Keefe (reserve spinner)

Sean Marsh will be there as well I don't know why. Selectors will take Doherty/Ahmed over SOK and Hogg id say. Probably need to play 2 spinners and have a back up as tournament is in Bangladesh. Id start with Maxwell and Hogg.

Id prefer they groom a rookie keeper (whiteman or carters), but it will be out of Paine and Wade, id take Paine.

booligal bill

Juniors
If the selectors are actually fair dinkum about us trying to win this competition, and not picking a side "for the future", then they have to select the best T20 players (who are available) regardless of age. Brad Hodge and Dirk Nannes are absolute no brainers in my opinion if we are serious about trying to win.

If the selectors are actually fair dinkum about us trying to win this competition, and not picking a side "for the future", then they have to select the best T20 players (who are available) regardless of age. Brad Hodge and Dirk Nannes are absolute no brainers in my opinion if we are serious about trying to win.

Absolutely.

Ben Laughlin is one player I would have bowling purely for his death bowling.

TheParraboy

Staff member

whats your 15 man squad?

Last edited:
Warner
Finch
Hodge
M Hussey
Burns
Klinger
Faulkner

Paine/Haddin
M Marsh
Nannes
Pattinson
McKay
Hastings
Hogg
Johnson
Maxwell

My first team would be

Warner
Finch
Hodge
D. Hussey
Burns
Faulkner
Haddin
Laughlin
Hogg
Nannes
McKay

Remainder of Squad

Johnson
Paine
Maxwell
M. Hussey

Horrie Is God

First Grade
I'll have a crack..

Mr Teeny
Fatty Finch
Shane Wazn
Bailey (c)
Tugga Smith
The Big Show
Hadds
Faulkner
Mr Slave
Patto
Hoggy

Bench;

Scissorhands
X
Maddison
Cutting

Patorick

Staff member
IMHO (who I think the selectors will go with):
Aaron Finch
Dave Warner
Shane Watson
George Bailey ©
Glenn Maxwell
James Faulkner
Matt Wade
Mitchell Johnson
Clint McKay
Xavier Doherty/Michael Beer (one or the other)
Chris Lynn
Ben Cutting
Mitch Marsh
Dan Christian
Nathan Coulter-Nile

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-world-twenty20-2014/content/story/718003.html

Australia World T20 squad George Bailey (capt), Daniel Christian, Nathan Coulter-Nile, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Brad Haddin, Brad Hodge, Brad Hogg, Glenn Maxwell, James Muirhead, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc, David Warner, Shane Watson, Cameron White

Brad Hogg could become the oldest man ever to play a Twenty20 international after being called up along with fellow veteran Brad Hodge for Australia's World Twenty20 campaign in Bangladesh. Australia's selectors opted for experience in their 15-man squad, which also includes Brad Haddin and Cameron White, although the young legspinner James Muirhead was also named after impressing in his first T20 internationals against England this summer.

Hogg earned a surprise recall for the previous World T20 in Sri Lanka in 2012 but he had not played for Australia since that tournament. However, he has continued to take wickets and keep the runs tight for the Perth Scorchers in the Big Bash League and his selection at the age of 43 has shown that the selectors are prepared to bank on experience as Australia push for their first title in the shortest format.

The oldest man ever to play a T20 international was Kenya's Steve Tikolo, who was 42 when he walked out against Canada in Sharjah in November. Hogg turned 43 last week but showed as part of the Scorchers' BBL-winning team that he remains enthusiastic and athletic in the field as well as canny with the ball. He could be a key player in the spinning conditions of Bangladesh.

The same can be said of Hodge, who at 39 was recalled to Australia's team for the T20s against England this season having not played for his country for nearly six years. Although Hodge's BBL form this summer was solid rather than spectacular - he scored 219 runs at 36.50 - he is the highest run scorer of all time in Twenty20 cricket, with 5902 runs, and his experience in Bangladesh with the Barisal Burners could be invaluable.

Latest posts