What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AutoBot Referees

It is time

Automation and AI is taking over everything, so why not refereeing. No more mistakes, no more meltdowns in game day threads. I propose two bots every ten metres on the field and one in the ruck. Drones would be deployed above the play to detect forward passes and emit a yellow laser beam whenever one is detected

Thank you, I’ll be here all week

BxTom

Bench
It is time

Automation and AI is taking over everything, so why not refereeing. No more mistakes, no more meltdowns in game day threads. I propose two bots every ten metres on the field and one in the ruck. Drones would be deployed above the play to detect forward passes and emit a yellow laser beam whenever one is detected

Artificial Intelligence, whilst still largely in it's infancy, has got to be better than no intelligence.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Why not just go the whole hog and have robots vs. robots

I’m sure some IT nerd could program it so we can keep some sort of balance in the game to ensure an outcome, have crap teams/players and so on

shaggs

Coach
If Optimus prime was the head of the autobots, who was the head of the decepticons??

gerg

Juniors
Wouldn't solve anything and it's the reason the refereeing is in the state it's in. If you programmed robots to referee with the current rulebook you would have a penalty every second tackle because AI cannot show discretion. Every minor infringement would be pinged.

The NRL need to fix the rules and then we wouldn't need robots because it would be easier for the referees.

siv

First Grade
We should go one step futher to reduce concussions and injuries to players

We can include robitic players in the revolution

Then transpose an artifical crowd

With projected advertising on artifical turf. Everything tracked by GPS with wrist and boot trackers and ball with a chip to determine its movements or onside

With the ball popping up out of the turf on the sideline

And miniture robotic carts to deliver and pickup the kicking tee

Where google bots can pay in bitcoin to watch

also solves the issue of junior development

We should go one step futher to reduce concussions and injuries to players

We can include robitic players in the revolution

Then transpose an artifical crowd

With projected advertising on artifical turf. Everything tracked by GPS with wrist and boot trackers and ball with a chip to determine its movements or onside

With the ball popping up out of the turf on the sideline

And miniture robotic carts to deliver and pickup the kicking tee

Where google bots can pay in bitcoin to watch

also solves the issue of junior development

How about robo commentators?? Robo Warren has a ring to it...then we could listen to his dulcitones for eternity

mave

Coach
Wouldn't solve anything and it's the reason the refereeing is in the state it's in. If you programmed robots to referee with the current rulebook you would have a penalty every second tackle because AI cannot show discretion. Every minor infringement would be pinged.

The NRL need to fix the rules and then we wouldn't need robots because it would be easier for the referees.

There is too much percieved grey in the rules.
There-in lies the problem for the refs..the grey.

The refs could find a penalty every single tackle, if they choose to.
Sometimes they choose to, other times,,,,,well, not so much, depending on the team.

Consistency is the major problem.

If AI could solve the inconsistency, then bring it on.

Frailty

First Grade
There is too much percieved grey in the rules.
There-in lies the problem for the refs..the grey.

The refs could find a penalty every single tackle, if they choose to.
Sometimes they choose to, other times,,,,,well, not so much, depending on the team.

Consistency is the major problem.

If AI could solve the inconsistency, then bring it on.

Funny because the obstruction penalty last night that everyone was complaining about is precisely because of the black and white of the rule. The complaints were because it wasn't 'common sense' and lacked 'discretion'.

We could have perfect refereeing and people would still complain. It's just the culture of the game.

unforgiven

Bench
It is time

Mate, you are not original, you have just stolen the Coke future rugby league promotion from the late 80's or early 90's starring Blocker Roach!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Why not just go the whole hog and have robots vs. robots

I’m sure some IT nerd could program it so we can keep some sort of balance in the game to ensure an outcome, have crap teams/players and so on

Why not got the whole hog and just replace the players with 30-50 feral hogs