What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Average Crowds

Illusion

Bench
Mate I'm walking distance to the ground at Kogarah about 15 min walk have not been to a game since Price took over ....... I was waiting for some improvement then I would have gone to a game, but the writing was on the wall , I could see it but the Board could not ........ From Price to Mary to Hook disastrous ,and who ever was responsible for signings and letting go of younger players that have gone on and made it elsewhere should be responsible also ....... Also who in the team at the moment is home grown , Lawrie , debelin , Lomax ? Anyway looks like I won't be going to a game anytime soon ....... I could see the writing was on the wall but our lot couldn't ....... Sad but true ........
25% is huge.

Will be interesting to see how the renewals go as well. As many have voiced on this forum, i see a drop there as well.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Mate I'm walking distance to the ground at Kogarah about 15 min walk have not been to a game since Price took over ....... I was waiting for some improvement then I would have gone to a game, but the writing was on the wall , I could see it but the Board could not ........ From Price to Mary to Hook disastrous ,and who ever was responsible for signings and letting go of younger players that have gone on and made it elsewhere should be responsible also ....... Also who in the team at the moment is home grown , Lawrie , debelin , Lomax ? Anyway looks like I won't be going to a game anytime soon ....... I could see the writing was on the wall but our lot couldn't ....... Sad but true ........
The Knights are lucky they don't have supporters like you. They (and me) turn up in 1000km winds and pouring rain.

maestro1

Bench
The thing that is being forgotten in the crowd argument for the Dragons is the generational change that has taken 30 years. When the Sharks came into the comp it basically took half our area in the St George district. Now it didn't take half our supporters away straight away. That is something that took 30 years. In the early days, the Shire was still 90% supporting St George, but with every decade that became less and less as the children of the Dragons supporters who still lived in the Shire slowly started to follow the Sharks. As the parents aged and sadly died off the area and it's residents started following their own team more and more.
Our area was sliced in half.

We did pick up the Illawarra, but the Illawarra was predominantly a Dragons supporters area anyway and splitting our home games also developed a phenomena where Wollongong based supporters generally got their Dragons fix at WIN Stadium and the St George based supporters got their fix at Kogarah. This is not discounting the supporters that will travel as there a lots of them. But no other clubs has faced this unique problem where they were ripped in half and then united with a supporter base that was now separated by a 1 and a half hour drive between stadiums.

You might say , what about Wests Tigers? Firstly, neither Balmain or Wests had their area ripped in half in the 60s or at any time. Secondly, their stadiums are in relatively the same geographic location.

No other team has had these factors to affect their home ground crowd figures. Actually, it is very surprising that we get the crowds we do, especially with the decade of poor performances. Imagine if we weren't ripped in half and only played out of one Stadium. Hmmm....

Dragon David

First Grade
The thing that is being forgotten in the crowd argument for the Dragons is the generational change that has taken 30 years. When the Sharks came into the comp it basically took half our area in the St George district. Now it didn't take half our supporters away straight away. That is something that took 30 years. In the early days, the Shire was still 90% supporting St George, but with every decade that became less and less as the children of the Dragons supporters who still lived in the Shire slowly started to follow the Sharks. As the parents aged and sadly died off the area and it's residents started following their own team more and more.
Our area was sliced in half.

We did pick up the Illawarra, but the Illawarra was predominantly a Dragons supporters area anyway and splitting our home games also developed a phenomena where Wollongong based supporters generally got their Dragons fix at WIN Stadium and the St George based supporters got their fix at Kogarah. This is not discounting the supporters that will travel as there a lots of them. But no other clubs has faced this unique problem where they were ripped in half and then united with a supporter base that was now separated by a 1 and a half hour drive between stadiums.

You might say , what about Wests Tigers? Firstly, neither Balmain or Wests had their area ripped in half in the 60s or at any time. Secondly, their stadiums are in relatively the same geographic location.

No other team has had these factors to affect their home ground crowd figures. Actually, it is very surprising that we get the crowds we do, especially with the decade of poor performances. Imagine if we weren't ripped in half and only played out of one Stadium. Hmmm....
For a once dominant, proud and renowned club, the Dragons has fallen badly from the halcyon days of glory. Being torn asunder was the only way to bring the Dragons down to the levels of the other teams and not keeping the Dragons to just a one stadium venue has affected overall crowd numbers. Even now for instance if they made WIN a standout arena and our games were only played there I'm sure that our numbers each game day would be on average 19,000+.

I also think that we should have been part of the Super League when it came around. I think that the St George Dragons would have done well out of it and maybe we would have remained the St George Dragons.

Como Connection

First Grade
I attended a "Saints for Super League" meeting at Kogarah RSL, when it was a real club, Michael Beattie ran the meeting, I wonder how close the club got to joining, anyone know.
CC

Draginzaaar

Bench
I attended a "Saints for Super League" meeting at Kogarah RSL, when it was a real club, Michael Beattie ran the meeting, I wonder how close the club got to joining, anyone know.
CC
Wasn't there a meeting of the boards of Saints and Parra on at the same time and they were going to decide to go to Super League or not. Apparently, both boards were talking to each other on the phone.