What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Awesome Dragons

Ozzwald

Juniors
I posted this on the St. George board but thought it might be of interest to any Dragons fans in here & also to anyone who wants to knock the mighty red & whites & say that they are gone after losing Matthew Head for the season in last Sunday's clash with the North Queensland Cowboys. Anyways, here it is:

-------------------------------------------------

Well I just finished watching the Saints/Cowboys clash from Jubilee & I have to say, I certainly feel a whole lot better about our prospects after Matty Head went down, for the rest of season 2005. I realize I am a day or so late with my rant on this game, so please forgive me there, but I watch the games as soon as I can.

St. George impressed me on so many levels on Sunday with their outstanding play. The first thing I want to mention is their team defense. Obviously it was good, looking at the scoreboard with just the single try to North Queensland. But more than that, it was impassioned, with for the most part, three guys in a tackle, not only halting the Cowboys go forward, but often times driving them backwards & more importantly wrapping up the ball & cutting out I would have to estimate some 85% of the second phase play. The amount of times that the Cowboys really struggled to get out of their own half (and for that matter out of their own 30 many times) was a testament to the tenacity & the fortitude of the St. George/Illawarra defense. But it's not just the forwards that deserve the wrap defensively. I thought our wingers Naiqama & Best were great in defense also, as was Clint Greenshields. All of them making some very key tackles throughout the game. That's a great sign for Saints.

The first half was obviously quite a dire struggle, but the Dragons ascendancy was never in question in my mind after the opening 5 minutes. Their go forward was brilliant. The young guys like Sims, Poore, Creagh & Henderson were all outstanding. They ran with vigor, determination & so many times carried the play an extra 10 or 15 metres up the park with 2 or 3 Cowboys hanging off them. That was something I loved to see & it leaves me with a good feeling regarding the future of the Dragons forward pack. Lance was wonderful, as per, but especially playing after that rib injury last week. Honestly, I can't say enough about the character of the guy. I said it in another thread, he's just an inspiration to all that play alongside him. Shaun Timmins was awesome though yesterday...again character city, after coming back on from that early knock he took. His defense was outstanding, but his attack was the thing that impressed me most. His charges were inspirational in themselves. Like his younger counterparts, he just kept going forward hit-up after hit-up, when the defenders hanging all over him gave him no right to do so. As a veteran of the team surrounded by a plethora of young guys he certainly stood up & led the way in the absence of our missing Origin stars. Add to this the second phase play that Saints generated often throughout the game, & the "hard yards" part of their game was just superb.

North Queensland was never allowed into the game. After that initial four pointer they never looked like scoring again with the exception of about 10 minutes to go when desperate & committed Dragons defense nullified any chance of that happening. Again, character is the key word here. The game was already won for the Dragons, but they had pride in defending their line & that's a real feel good point from the game also. As Saints fans we know all too well of their tendency often to let teams back into the game after taking an early lead. Sunday's performance, even with the stars missing was personally the performance I have been waiting to see from them & the performance I knew all along they were capable of. Their confidence as a football team right now must be sky high, knowing that they have their best players yet to return to the fold.

I loved the way Saints built the platform for their win. They established their ascendancy during the first half with their rock solid defense, a great go forward & an equally great kicking game from Hornby. Yes, the first half was a little scrappy with a few dropped balls & the like, but yet Saints were still able to dominate in terms of field position. Their sets of six were predominantly awesome, with the forwards making fantastic gains up the middle, incisive running from dummy-half, great ball movement (Naiqama's first try was a corker!) & then good, deep, well placed kicks from Horns. Although it was just one try apiece in the opening stanza, you got the impression as a viewer that the scoreboard would soon reflect what was happening on the park. And I think Saints themselves knew that too. And that's another of the real good positives from the game. The fact that they didn't let their lack of points in the first half rattle them. They knew they were on top of their opposition, they remained calm, played their game & were patient. And patience is a key that I think Saints have been lacking at times.

Of course we blew the Cowboys off the park in the second 40 to the tune of 28-0, so it's obvious that there were numerous highlights from that second half. But I think special mention goes to Ben Hornby. His passing game was excellent....he threw some great cut-out balls & some superb short balls but for me it was his running game yesterday that lit up Jubilee. He sliced through the Cowboys defense in the middle of the ruck so many times. It was awesome to watch & is it just me, or does that guy look like Darren Lockyer, both physically & in the way he plays? Personally I thought the resemblance was uncanny, particularly in his running & kicking styles. Now, I dislike the Brisbane Broncos as much as the next red & white eyed Saints supporter, but I am the first to admit the sheer brilliance & class of Lockyer, so any comparison to him is most assuredly a good thing!

Michael Ennis was awesome yesterday. What a great utility player he is for the Dragons. His ball movement was fantastic, he had a decent kicking game & was solid in defense also. He adapted excellently when moved from his starting position at hooker to the half-back role. As did Gorrell coming off the bench into the hooking role. Saints' ability to adapt to the reshuffling brought about by injuries on Sunday was superb. Dean Young (man, does he ever look like his great ol' Dad!!!) had another superb game, starting in the second row. Gee, he's in great form lately & again a wonderful utility option for the Drags. Greenshields was safe as a bank at fullback & ran strongly the whole game. His late try was just rewards for a great afternoon’s work. As I mentioned, Horns was sensational in his move to five-eighth & I have noted already the adaptability of Ennis & Gorrell.

That is a wonderful, wonderful sign for a St. George/Illawarra team who really need to find some combination through this second half of the regular season with the injury to Matt Head. Nathan Brown was quoted as saying he thinks Horns & the boys filling in, in those positions will do "admirably" but if Sunday's performance was anything to go by, their efforts in the coming weeks will surely be classed as more than merely ‘admirable’.

So we've established that St. George/Illawarra played great Rugby League yesterday - extremely solid in defense, incisive & damaging in attack & adaptable in terms of everyone’s roles on the ground. But the thing that very much impressed me was their not only their ability, but their desire to really bury the Cowboys once the game was already won. The game was all but gone for North Queensland after the 17th minute of the second half, yet Saints played like they were hungry for more until the final hooter (the thwarting of the Cowboys attacking raids with about 10 to go & the Greenshields try on the bell perfect indications of this). Again as Saints supporters, we are all fully aware of the Dragons penchant for not playing the full 80 minutes. That has been a bane in the St. George game for a long time - the fact that they so seldom seem to put together a solid 80 minute performance. But Sunday, we saw the kind of game from them that frankly has been long overdue. It was a spirited, determined, & skillful win for a Dragons side that showed the character that it takes to win premierships. It would have been so easy for them to fold yesterday with the early injuries to Timmo & Head, but they lifted, every one of them, & drove North Queensland into the dirt in no uncertain terms. Now, as a passionate Dragons supporter I plea for CONSISTANCY. Another performance like this next weekend against the Bunnies will send their confidence in their own ability into the stratosphere....irregardless of the quality of the opposition (& frankly, the Bunnies after coming off a draw with the Dogs & their absolute flogging of competition front-runners Manly are going to be no easy beats).

I for one certainly feel a LOT better about our ability to carry on deep into the post season after losing Heady. Everyone wants to step up & contribute. There were absolutely no passengers yesterday & as I said, with all our big guns sets to return, things are looking exceptionally bright for our mighty red & whites at the moment!

I agree that they played very well, but you need to put that into the perspective that their opposition was pretty much a reserve grade North Queensland side playing away from home. Hornby & Gorrell were the stand outs for me.

bulldog

Bench
I know things are supposed to be bigger in Texas but that is one huge post (and it seems your sig. is too big too).

Mr Saab

Referee
can someone please summarise what the hell that says in post 1?
Stg beat the cowboys? so what? All it proves is that Stg have a better reserve grade team than the cowboys (particularly in the backs)
That game will mean ZERO when it comes to analysing their form if they meet in the semis. ZERO

mickdo

Coach
All it proved was that half a Dragons side could easily beat half a Cowboys side. Not much else.

bulldog

Bench
Charlie Saab said:
can someone please summarise what the hell that says in post 1?

The Dragons won and I'm excited, I didn't read it but I assume that would sum it up.

Mr Saab

Referee
bulldog said:
The Dragons won and I'm excited, I didn't read it but I assume that would sum it up.

i should have posted something similar when my broncos beat the rabbits...but then i dont get excited over wins that prove nothing.

the 1st three lines go on about winning without Matt Head. Well thats great and all, but lets see how the dragons go over the next 5-7 weeks.

Hurriflatch

Referee
pfft, The Dragons only beat a Cowboys side missing 5-6 of their best players by 34-4

Parra put 50 on a full stength Cowboys side and the Eels were missing Tahu, Grothe, Riddell, Stringer, H.Perenara, Henderson and Cannings.

It was a good performance but don't get too carried away over it

Nugby

Juniors
I'll pay Hurriflatch's post, that was an incredible win given the circumstances, but I still feel that given they had Rauhihi, Tronc, Southern, and Luke O'Donnell out there, our junior forwards were superior in both defense and attack to these noted hardmen, allowing our backs to better shine. I had though we might be weak in this area considering other games this year but it was where we shined.

As I said before Ozzwald, great post, but perhaps it is better off remaining in the St. George forum where everyone interested in it will read it. Having said that, I think it was a great reminder to anyone who thinks we're gone without Matty Head what we can still do with him off the field.

Dogs Of War

Coach
One game does not make a season. Lets see how they handle the next few games without head. I think that Ennis to halfback is not as cut and dried as you think.

Dragonwest

Juniors
He was missing for 5 weeks earlier in the year and we won 4 of those. it has been proven and im sure it can continue. Hornby showed a great kicking game on the w.e and with him and greenshields at the back the club really isnt losing much in attack and gaining in defence

Mr Saab

Referee
dragonwest

in the 5 games that head missed have a look at the teams the dragons beat. The likes of souths, penrith and tigers.
Real test is coming up for the dragons.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
For mine the REAL acid test will be when we play the Broncos then the Cowboys away. If we can win those two, we can then be considered a real premiership threat. As for now, I'm happy to take it one week at a time.

Ozzwald

Juniors
Look, nowhere did I suggest that Saints were home & hosed for season 2005. I didn't even hint at it. And for those of you suggesting that I am getting overly excited over the outcome of one game.....hardly. The Dragons are 8-2 in their last 10 outings. I don't care who you support, that's good Rugby League by any standards. Yes the North Queensland side was understrength, so were the Dragons. And if you look at the quality of the players missing from the St. George/Illawarra lineup last weekend, you will notice that they all have represented Australia. So it appears that any arguments against the Cowboys being a more inferior side to the Dragons one this past weekend are not justified at all. The fact remains that North Queensland have been smashing teams....good teams in recent weeks. Saints smashed them this week....end of story.

The Dragons draw over the next couple weeks isn't that tough admittedly & they should beat both the Bunnies & the Tiges (which will take them back to 4 wins on the trot & 10-2 in their last 12). Their first real test will come after the bye when they will face a Parra side that has been red hot. Keep in mind also that Saints still have two byes up their sleeve. Their run home is tough....the Eels twice, Manly, Cronulla, Easts, the Cowboys again, Brisbane & finally the Knights. It's this second half of the season that will decide the fate of the Dragons this year but for anyone to suggest that they are gone after losing Matthew Head or that I shouldn't be excited about their prospects is ridiculous. As for that win on Sunday meaning nothing, obviously whoever makes those kind of comments didn't read the post, because it cleary states exactly what that win means to the St. George/Illawarra team in terms of their talent, their depth, their committment & their desire to win in the face of adversity. The game of Rugby League is about far, far more than who has the most talented side on the field. Saints have the best depth players in the competition in my opinion & with the way they have performed in the last 2-3 months & the fact that our best players are coming back into the side, I would suggest I have every reason to be optimistic about their chances of doing deep this season.