What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Axemen defeat Aussie Team to send players into retirement on a high

spinnerhowland

Juniors
The Jacksonville Axemen have defeated the Helensburgh Tigers from Australia to send two of the original players into retirement with a win. One of the changes to the team is the newest Axemen player, former Australian Kangaroo, Shannon Hegarty. The upset victory also handed the 2011 Rugby League Atlantic Cup to the British Police team on points differential - full story at www.jaxaxe.com

billy2

Juniors
Shannon Hegarty, good pick up.
This is the sort of Aussie import American clubs should be aiming for.

adamkungl

Immortal
Helensburgh Tigers
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helensburgh_Tigers

Part of the Illawarra Rugby League, Div 7 of CRL.

Anyone know what tier we are looking at?

I probably have it something like

NRL
QLD Cup
NSW Cup
NYC
JB Cup - NewcastleRL - Major CRLs
Sydney local A Grade comps - Smaller CRLs
Sydney A reserves/U21s/U19s
Juniors

I think an American team beating even an A Grade team is a decent achievement, given they haven't grown up with the game and have far less competition.

A bit strange to me.

Must mean the Tigers are the worst team in the CRL or they pulled some players. A team that gets flogged by the Pommy Police doenst all of a sudden turn around and beat a team of the same calibre. I find it a bit hard to believe, especially given the penchant for stretching the troof! I am surpised a crowd announcement of 50,000 wasn't made!

Will Hegarty be eligle for the USA. You guys will need him if you are going to play the Storm or France!

adamkungl

Immortal
A bit strange to me.

Must mean the Tigers are the worst team in the CRL or they pulled some players. A team that gets flogged by the Pommy Police doenst all of a sudden turn around and beat a team of the same calibre.

This happens every week in every sporting competition in the world... being flogged one week does not make you shit for all eternity.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
A bit strange to me.

Must mean the Tigers are the worst team in the CRL or they pulled some players. A team that gets flogged by the Pommy Police doenst all of a sudden turn around and beat a team of the same calibre. I find it a bit hard to believe, especially given the penchant for stretching the troof! I am surpised a crowd announcement of 50,000 wasn't made!

Will Hegarty be eligle for the USA. You guys will need him if you are going to play the Storm or France!

Bahahaha, it's your mob that's supposedly playing France and the storm.

Derp.

DINGb@T

Juniors
Tigers had to back up a few days after their first game. That always screws with a team. In another country, they were probably stuffed after Thanksgiving, had an easy game against the similarly-backing-up UK boys a few days before, etc...

Nothing suspicious about it. It's all a part of touring. A lost art some would say.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Dear ISTT, obviously you are computer iliterate and struggle with finding info, such as the match report, on the internet. I feel for you and I also love the way to follow Rugby League in the USA and also the Axemen. As with all our fans I want to go above and beyond and help you with the things you need to be a well educated fan. Here are some parts of the match report that is posted at www.jaxaxe.com (and from IP address searches I can see we have a good following in GRAFTON who visit our website). Hopefully it will save you some time and bring you up to speed on us beating the Tigers. This time saving will allow you to spend more time helping us spread the great work that is being done by the Axemen and all the team that are promoting Rugby League in the USA. Thank you for your continue support. Feel free to order an Axemen Shirt from our website to show your loyalty to the expansion on the greatest game of all. Cheers Spinner
From the Axemen website

"After going down to the British Police by a big margin last Saturday and then having the Helensburgh Tigers get over the British Team in a tough win on Wednesday, the Axemen made some changes to the line up for the deciding game. Five players who had not been available for the opening match were added to the Axemen squad for what was going to be a tough assignment. Bob Knoepfel was added as a utility, Perry Vaught come in at halfback to allow Spinner Howland to move to Hooker, Taylor Alley was welcomed back off injury, Daytona Gearheads (Axemen reserve grade) player James "Doc" Brown came in as a bench player at Hooker and Shannon Hegarty who recently joined the Axemen was right at home in the centers."

Helensburgh was playing with a very short rest (3 days) after a very physical game against the British Police and it took them a few moments to adjust to the new look Axemen

As the game wore on it was evident that the Tigers players were feeling the combination of a short rest period and the lifted spirits of the Axemen that they just may be able to get a win.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
I notice the crowd was given as 3000. Which is great if true. Got any pics ?.

Total crowds for the 3 games was about 3000. Obviously the smaller crowd of about 500 was the Wednesday night game with the two overseas teams playing - but good crowds for both Saturdays when the Axemen played. For the week of thanksgiving here in the USA we were very happy with the turnout

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Spinner, can you tell us how you guys signed Shannon Hegarty?

We will have a release on this soon. We are still talking to Shannon about a future here with the Axemen that may also include a coaching role. Nothing is 100% yet so we would like to be sure before saying anything other than he played, and played very well, for us this past weekend

Latest posts