What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bad feeling re Brazil game... N.B. Hiddink

MrSharky

Juniors
First off great win by the 'Soccerwhos'... some say they deserve it... others say they were lucky (cahill's two goals were both chancy and the penalty was defo a penalty - on the otherhand the japan goal), but I say a draw would've been fair.

I thought the Socceroos' fitness was far better than the Japanese. I mean I've never seen someone go around a defender without either nutmegging, chipping over/around, or cutting either way, and run straight through and score (Aloisi) - OK fair play it was 92nd minute but that was quite poor :lol:

Now onto my point of discussion. I am a little worried about Hiddink's tactics... well ok very worried.

Firstly Harry Kewell. Harry IS NOT a centre mid... never will be, never should be, and never was... until last night. Now some will say what the go is... but IMO our only chance of scoring v Brazil will be to give Harry a free licence to run all day at the ageing 36/yo Cafu... cut in and shoot, or blast balls into the box.

But my fear is that Hiddink has told him that basically he is our best player technically (which he is by a long way), and has assigned him with the role of playing balls from the centre. Now anyone who knows Brazil and their personnel will know that Harry will get injured in this match playing in the centre and being marked by Brazil's Gilberto Silva who is know nice guy. We all know how fragile is.

Secondly Jason Culina. He is as much a wide-man as HK is a CM i.e. HE's NOT. Waste of time and space out there... I say get him stuck in and swap him with Kewell.

Third Brett Emerton. Has been very dissapointing since the Greece game for mine. First touch has disappeared, taking too much time over the ball and poor options have marred Brett's game. He, like HK is a running/crossing wide-man. Play to his strengths Guus! I blame his poor form due to an unfamiliar position.

Fourth dead balls and set pieces.

1. Marco Bresciano please never take a corner/crossed dead ball again. Your deliveries are hopeless, almost always too high and far too deep. Have a look at Beckham (OK I know Becksy has the sweetest right foot around so no abuse) and how he plays flat, fast-paced balls that dip as it reaches his teammates heads. That is how you take a corner.

2. Free Kicks that are within shooting distance should be taken by Aloisi who has a decent strike and HK, who scores a large percentage of goals from 20-25 yards and is deadly from that range. Bresciano again, please stay away.

3. Mark Viduka please stay away from the penalty spot. Your confidence is down, so hand over the role. Aloisi or Kewell again please.

Fifth, the defensive strategy. OK the Socceroos are physical, which is why we get booked quite a lot. With the current strategy, we will have a sending off or two v Brazil undoubtedly. Do remember that Brazil's 5 attacking elite, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Adriano, Kaka, and Robinho all have lightning quick feet... AND I MEAN QUICK. They are all able to exchange the ball from one foot to another in literally no time. What this sadly means is that Guus will have to tell his players to lay off the challenges just a bit. Otherwise I can see one or more of Grella, Wilkshire, Emerton, Neill, or Moore seeing red... and not just on their faces.

Sixth Vinnie Grella. Mate good luck... no easy assignment marking Ronaldinho and Kaka (I say both because they will no doubt be constantly switching sides of the field). Whatever you do, remember: DO NOT LET FRUSTRATION GET THE BETTER OF YOU... this will make their jobs easier.

Seventh Tim Cahill. Look he should start. He is an impressive player technically and has wonderful heading skill. Sit him behind Dukes and play the crossed in balls to the two of them.

I'll end by saying good luck to the 'Soccerwhos'.

JOGA BONITO

icon6.gif

Bumble

First Grade
A draw would've been fair? What game were you watching? We were all over them.

Tom Shines

First Grade
No-one in the crowd like Wilkshire or Emerton starting, but the subs mate... Kennedy, Cahill, and Aloisi all had blinders.
An absolute masterstroke IMO.

Alan Shore

First Grade
We need our attacking firepower to match Brazil. That means Viduka, Aloisi up front with Emerton, Bresciano, Cahill and Emerton pushing up behind them.Now THAT would be a fantastic sight.

Eddie.

Bench
I stopped reading when i saw that a draw would of been a fair result.

Im not going to Question Guus Hiddink. He got us over Uruguay, a win over Greece, Draw with Holland and our first WC win.

Although i am likening his Wilkshire selection as Sheens continual selection of Fitzhenry.

borat

Bench
Eddie. said:
I stopped reading when i saw that a draw would of been a fair result.

Im not going to Question Guus Hiddink. He got us over Uruguay, a win over Greece, Draw with Holland and our first WC win.

Although i am likening his Wilkshire selection as Sheens continual selection of Fitzhenry.

Hiddink is a freakin genius. His tactics were spot on yet everyone carrys on about this and that. The only way Japan were going to score last night was through Nakamura or Nakata driving through centre or through balls to the strikers. They did on a couple of occasions and fired shots on the D that just missed. Japan were never going to score by shifting the ball down the flanks and crossing. Neil and Moore are way to strong and tall in the air. They can be caught out with through balls but the japanese were never going to beat them in the air.

So Hiddink makes sure that left and right mid show the sidelines and keep them away from cutting inside and it worked a treat. Alex got away a couple of occasions but no one was there to finish. Hiddinks tactics were spot on and we would have wrapped the game up alot earlier had Schwarzer been on his game.

Don't be surprised to see Wilkshire in the starting team against Brazil.

The Dodger

First Grade
anyone who questions hiddinks tactics can go back to licking the brown lumps off farinas ass hole...

Cammo

Bench
South Korea were continually upset over Guus tactics when he took over their side. But look at how they worship him now.

Guus is credited with one of the best football brains in the world. The fact that he does things diiferently to what people expect and still remain successful is testament to his genius

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Wilshire should be gone yes!, and Bres. should still take some of the frees, although the corners should be left to HK. The frees withing shooting dist and the pentalys shou.d be taken by aloisi. BUT i agree with the dropping of wilkshire and the reistating of kewell on the left and chaill starting in an attacking mid role. Emerton should only be picked as a attacking right mid or not at all!

Cammo

Bench
I hope Wilkshire starts against Brazil and has a blinder (not saying I expect it to happen, just hope). That will shut some people up.

Dunno

Juniors
I agree with most of Sharkie's points but I still think Bresciano has something to offer from close free kicks. Not every situation is suited to an Aloisi blast

Latest posts