What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Balmain lose in Premier League and Flegg

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Balmain lost in both Premier League and Jersey Flegg against the Bulldogs at Telstra Stadium on Sunday.

Premier League lost 26-12 in a fitful performance by the Tigers. On the back of a heavy penalty count and a few errors the Tigers spent most of the first 40 minutes pinned in their own half. The Dogs first try came down the left with Daniel Harris’ brother Ben barging over. The Dogs second was a long range effort down the left including a flick pass from Kaufusi. Balmain came alive in the last five minutes of the first half. Off the back of their first penalty, Robbie and Charlie Farah combined to put Brett Kelly over. Carney converted. At half time the score was 16-6.

Balmain played with more enthusiasm in the second half. Charlie Farah who had his best game of the season and scored under the posts. The Tigers made some good individual breaks most notably by Robbie Farrah and Chris Rhino Heighington. At 22-12, and with Ngas Simpkins and Jamie Small adding more punch up the middle, a late comeback looked possible, albeit a remote one. The Dogs responded with a late try to take the score out to 26-12.

Robbie Farah had a solid game in his effort to regain match fitness. Late inclusion Dene Halatau, playing right centre, was quiet for a player trying to force his way back into first grade.

The Tigers lacked direction from the halves, offered little out wide and a failed to find decent field position with their kicks.

That makes two losses in a row with a trip to Aussie Stadium next Sunday to take on the Roosters.

Balmain lost 18-30 in Flegg. Tries to Alberts, Schulz and Kmet. Braumann kicked three from three.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Its a worry. Jeff Lima and Bronson Harrison in first grade has meant less go forward. We need more from our halves.

brook

First Grade
The worst of it is I am expecting us to lose small to city-firsts next week and I just can't see us beating easts on our current form - if Manly win we could slip back to 4th spot.

I think now is the time to recall Dickson to PL - he's one of those players you notice most when he isn't there but he does a tremendous amount of work and we started playing badly at the same time he got dropped.

In truth though I dunno if theres a lot we can do other than sit tight and hope they click again - our flegg halves are in poor form so promoting someone from there isn't a real option (although if we did look there I'd be eyeing off John Nash - Nashy has been great in all the games I've watched and would provide more attacking options)

Getting Luland and Bowman back will also help a little - I'm not even sure theres much of a place for luland in the current PL team but he's got a lot of invaluable experience and at the least would provide some pressure on the wingers - who are both good but inconsistant - to maintain their form. Bowman should be captain and could allow us to move farah to 5/8th (while we have him) 'cause harris has disapointed me this year to be honest.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
To be honest you could see something like a few losses coming in a few games after the way they have been playing and the way the byes have been put into our part of the draw early on in the season.

In saying that with the Wests Tigers gaining some much needed players back from injury that should help Balmain out not to mention a few games in a row without any interuption!!!!

tigger

Juniors
Just another reason to hate Wests..... stealing our quality again.

It is alright if you follow both sides because you see the benefit of the players moving through, but for me, Lima & Bronson may aswell have signed with Easts :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

tigger

Juniors
Of course, but all i can hope for is that we continue to breed great players, because as soon as we look like we have a good team, Wests rapes and pillages it. The good news is we have a few great players in flegg who will be in the PL team in the not too distant future.

Bald Tiger

Juniors
Dont think we will see Robbie Farah at 5/8. His future is a hooker at the club and thats where Tim Sheens will want him to be played in PL. The PL side will be strengthened as more first grade players come back from injury - Benji, Darren Senter, Michael Buettner and Todd Payten - then others will drop back to PL or come back through PL. Reckon thats our best hope - although I reckon Luland and Bowman would be good additions. Plus I reckon we should sign Andrew Meads when he gets back from France. He used to play for us and was in good form for Parramatta before and after he was injured last season. Yes its great that Jeff and Bronson are playing first grade.

brook

First Grade
Bald Tiger said:
Dont think we will see Robbie Farah at 5/8. His future is a hooker at the club and thats where Tim Sheens will want him to be played in PL. The PL side will be strengthened as more first grade players come back from injury - Benji, Darren Senter, Michael Buettner and Todd Payten - then others will drop back to PL or come back through PL. Reckon thats our best hope - although I reckon Luland and Bowman would be good additions. Plus I reckon we should sign Andrew Meads when he gets back from France. He used to play for us and was in good form for Parramatta before and after he was injured last season. Yes its great that Jeff and Bronson are playing first grade.

I agree 'cause of first grade reasons its kinda unlikely

but I do think it would be the best option for the team once we get bowman back

players dropping back from FG are certainly going to help though (I think wilson could be not too far off atm ;-) )

I could wish flegg were stronger though - theres a couple of players from there I wouldn't mind seeing given a run to try and strenthen the pack (brock hunter being the first with nashy an outside option for 5/8th) but with flegg struggling atm I'm not sure weakening them further would do us much good.

tigger

Juniors
Bald - Who are those three guys in retro Balmain gear that are always there? You might remember them from their chants about Luland being from the land of Lu (Souths game last year on the hill) :lol:

Bald Tiger

Juniors
They call themselves - Pony (as in Halloway), Rock and Bumper. Met them on the bus to Penrith on Friday. Dont recall their real names. Tigergran knows them. They won the trivial pursuit night at the start of the season. You can find them on the hill at Wests Tigers games near the scoreboard and if the hill was open at stand alone PL games. Dont think they post on here though.

innsaneink

Referee
tigger said:
Of course, but all i can hope for is that we continue to breed great players, because as soon as we look like we have a good team, Wests rapes and pillages it. The good news is we have a few great players in flegg who will be in the PL team in the not too distant future.
Yeah Sheens knows all about them too.... :lol:

tigger

Juniors
innsaneink said:
tigger said:
Yeah Sheens knows all about them too.... :lol:

Why was i being positive :cry: We are farked thanks to the scum playing in the NRL..... the only good news is Jamie Small is invisible to Tim Sheens and we at least get one season out of them before the nuffs nuffs realise they can play.

Brook, Easts were shocking yesterday in going down to Canberra. Even on current form Balmain will be too strong for the chooks. Canberra turned off in the second half after leading 32-nil at half time. Easts have a lot of work to do. On the other hand, Canberra were great. A real premiership threat.

Latest posts