What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Balmain Player Awards

brook

First Grade
Cubs rewarded

STRONG running forward Luke Thompson is the Balmain Tigers rugby league Rookie of the Year.

19 year old Thompson received the coveted award from Wests Tigers head coach Tim Sheens at the Balmain Awards Night last Thursday at Balmain Leagues Club.

Originally from Peak Hill, the solidly-built prop turned in powerhouse performances in the Jersey Flegg competition before impressing keen judges in the Tigers’ Premier League squad.

Thompson also shared the Best Jersey Flegg Forward trophy with Bryan Dickson. Young prop Mick Harper capped an outstanding season by clinching the Jersey Flegg Best & Fairest award while rookie first grade centre Dene Halatau and Jason Chapman shared the inaugural John Kelly Memorial Quiet Achiever Award.

Deserved winners of the the Clubman of the Year Award were Tigers Junior Cup secretary Lyn Phyllis and head trainer/medical Rod ‘Ching’ Owens while utility Leigh Bowman was Best & Fairest in Premier League.

Other award winners were: PREMIER LEAGUE: Best Back: Dene Halatau; Best Forward: Jeff Lima; Players’ Player: Balin Cupples; Coach’s Award: Jamie Small; JERSEY FLEGG: Best Back: Bronson Harrison; Players’ Player: Simon Greally; Coach’s Award & TWT Player of Year: Rob Farah.

can't argue with any of these, fantastic to see thomo get rookie of the year - i still regard him the tigers best signing in any grade and in years to come i think he'll prove me right. Noone could argue with Bowman as best and fairest - he was one of the senior players in premier league this year and really stepped up to the plate - he would be my club captain for next year. Lima had a shakey start to the year but finished like the champion he is and deserved best forward. Balin is still the gutsiest guy on the field imo and it seems his team-mates recognised that and jaime small deserves every award we can throw at him - we were 20 times a better team when he was on the field.

The flegg awards speak for themselves - that was the pick of a fantastic group of kids.

Tigerpete

Juniors
Thanx for putting that up brook! No real surprises anywhere in that list. Thommo really deserves the ROY award, hoepfully he can follow it up next season. Also great to see Halatau and Harrison awarded for great seasons too.

B_Tiger

Juniors
the only suprise for me would be Lima winning best forward. As for best and fairest, Bowman definately deserved it although Heighnington would have been close.

brook

First Grade
Lima's a tough call

if you look at the second half of the season he deserved it

but he started VERY badly - heignington had a better over-all season as did hawkins and small

but neither of them were as good as jeff once he did find his form

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Good to see Dickson get some sort of recognition in the awards.

Surprised that Hawkins didn't get a look in although he only really played well when Small was beside him

Lime best forward? Well I guess he was the stand out forward especially late in the year so I can see how he managed to get the award.

Just hope that all the above mentioned players don't let these awards go to their heads and continue to improve and maybe one day cement a spot in the NRL.