What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barefoot Running

Thomas

First Grade
Anyone into this?

I have really bad issues when running with my illitical band (running from my hip to my knee) and my calves. I was talking to a mate a few weeks ago about it and he suggested barefoot running. I started out slow and I have no pain but the issue with sticks and rocks is a pain.

That is until he came over to my house rocking a pair of fivefingers. Weirdest shoes ever...but so comfy. I just tried on a pair and am thinking of buying some.

Anyone ever use them?

http://www.fivefingers.com.au/

JoeD

First Grade
My brother in law has a pair and really likes them but he can't run in them everyday so he uses them twice a week and uses traditional running shoes on the other days he runs.

The Gambler

Juniors
More and more people are wearing them at the gym - not really recommended in the weights area however because they don't offer much protection from falling weights.

They are more expensive than I thought...they would be handy for the beach when it's a bit rocky/shelly.

Thomas

First Grade
Okay, I bit the bullet and bought some classics. Went for a 4km run at lunch on varying terrain (mainly footpaths) and can honestly say that it was the first time in about 8 years I have run without back pain.

Wow.

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
most shoes have no protection for a falling weight, unless you wear steel caps and most dont, so that has no bearing

do the classics stay on your foot ok when running? ive read they are quite large fitting

Thomas

First Grade
I am wearing them right now...no one can see under the desk...classics plus a suit = not such a good look.

They are snug plus they have a cord on the heel you can tighten but the store guy said to just use that for comfort rather than fit. I actually went down a size in the classics just to get that snug fit. The sprints felt nice, a bit heavier than the classics, but the straps were a bit of a pain. I guess if I like the classics but want more support I'll buy a pair of sprints. My mate runs in the classics all the time and reckons they don't fall off. I'll test them out tomorrow. Right now I am just easing into the shoe and working on my running technique. You really can't use the heel-toe technique that most people use. You have to run right above your feet.

The weird thing is feeling your toes move over the terrain. With shoes you just slam them down but with these shoes you can feel (and grip) on each step.

bazza

Immortal
More and more people are wearing them at the gym - not really recommended in the weights area however because they don't offer much protection from falling weights.

They are more expensive than I thought...they would be handy for the beach when it's a bit rocky/shelly.

My gf has a pair and wears them down the beach. Good for Clovelly where there are plenty of rocks getting in and out

Shorty

Staff member
I've got a pair of Nike Frees, which is based on barefoot running....veryt light and don't cause my any issues either.
I've seen the glove like shoes before, creepy looking things - Only reason I've held back is that I have massive internal rotation of my knees...that means my knees don't face the same direction as my feet at times.

So I think general trainers are good for people who need support but there is a problem of oversupporting trainers these days so I think those shoes are great.
How are they like for impact?

Thomas

First Grade
I've got a pair of Nike Frees, which is based on barefoot running....veryt light and don't cause my any issues either.
I've seen the glove like shoes before, creepy looking things - Only reason I've held back is that I have massive internal rotation of my knees...that means my knees don't face the same direction as my feet at times.

So I think general trainers are good for people who need support but there is a problem of oversupporting trainers these days so I think those shoes are great.
How are they like for impact?

Impact? Oh there's no cushioning. That said, it forces you to run properly on the balls of your feet...not heel - toe. I ran on concrete and cobblestones and it was fine.

The guy said if I am slapping my feet down and causing impact then I am not running properly. It's hard to get around 20 or so years of running in running shoes. When I was running in high school I either ran in spikes (800m) or barefoot (1500 - 3000m). It is weird going back to that.

Danish

Referee
I have a pair of Nike free 3.0's. Love em!

Light as a feather, have stopped all my shin splints and best of all they cost $80. I'll have worn through them out by 12 months I'd say but still the price is right