What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barrett to wreck Ryles-Kimmorley deal

Barrett to wreck Ryles-Kimmorley deal

Brent Read and Stuart Honeysett | April 24, 2008

THE proposed trade involving St George Illawarra's Jason Ryles and Cronulla's Brett Kimmorley could be scuttled by the imminent return to the NRL of former Dragons captain Trent Barrett.
Barrett, who left the Dragons two years ago to join English club Wigan, is believed to be on the verge of requesting a release from the Super League giant.
Barrett and his wife Kylie held talks with Wigan officials overnight to explain their situation, in what is believed to be the first step towards a return to the NRL next year.
The former Test half has attracted interest from several clubs, most notably the Dragons and the Bulldogs.
Cronulla would also consider making a play for Barrett, although its interest would be contingent on whether Kimmorley and Ben Ross are at the club next season.
However, Penrith ruled itself out of the Barrett lottery even though the club would have the bankroll to pursue him after releasing backrower Tony Puletua to St Helens.
Barrett's manager Wayne Beavis last night confirmed a meeting was scheduled to take place with Wigan officials but declined to elaborate on whether Barrett was seeking a release.
While Beavis insisted Barrett was happy, it is understood his wife is pregnant and wants to come home.
"The situation is he has a contract for this year and next year, but his wife is homesick," Beavis said.
"I have had a couple of clubs ring me after hearing the speculation. I think it's reasonable to suggest that if he were to come back there would be a reasonable degree of interest. He's a quality player and a quality bloke."
Barrett is understood to be incoming St George Illawarra coach Wayne Bennett's first choice for next season.
A return to his former club would likely expedite the departure of Ryles, given Barrett would command an estimated $400,000 a season.
The Dragons would be unlikely to be able to afford both.
Should Barrett opt to play elsewhere in the NRL, the Dragons would almost certainly make an offer to Kimmorley.
Asked about Barrett yesterday, St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust replied: "We are looking at our 2009 roster."
If Barrett does return to St George Illawarra next season, Kimmorley could leave for England, where Super League side Hull is circling.
Hull has also been linked with Ross, whose tenure at the Sharks continues to be the subject of speculation.
Kimmorley was declared off limits to the media at training yesterday, leaving coach Ricky Stuart to field questions over his halfback's future.
"I spoke to Brett this morning and he didn't know too much about it and it's just something we'll work through," Stuart said.
When asked if we would allow a player to switch clubs during the season, Stuart replied: "If it was the right decision for our club and the right decision for the player.
"I've always got an open mind about these types of things. We're making decisions here in going forward and we've got to make the best decisions for our club.
"Every coach is about improving his group of players, his roster, and I'm no different to any other coach. But it's just speculation in regards to Brett and a so-called trade-off."
Cronulla five-eighth Greg Bird, whose recent combination with Kimmorley in the halves has helped keep the Sharks at the top of the table, said he would be disappointed if the No7 left.
"It's always disappointing to see team-mates leave, but it is a business and that's the way the game is these days," Bird said.
"We could keep everyone and have a salary cap of $10million, but it just doesn't work that way. To keep things fair, these things happen. The club's making decisions and we've just got to play our football."
While Kimmorley and Ryles appear unlikely to move mid-season, the Dragons prop is not expected to remain with the club in 2009.
Doust said he did not believe Ryles was unhappy at the club, although he conceded the former NSW and Australia prop was frustrated.
"Rylesy and I have known each other for a long time," Doust said. "I am sure if he was unhappy he would have spoken to me."
Cronulla captain Paul Gallen said he wouldn't mind being a team-mate of Ryles.
"Jason Ryles is a good player and he's copped some unfair criticism from the Dragons," Gallen said. "He'd be a good player to play alongside. I've had some run-ins with him, but that's only because he played for the other team."
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012431,00.html

Which combo would work best

Barrett and Soward - 2 visionary players with different styles

Or

Barrett and Chase - 2 players with great running games.

I believe that the 1st would work better..

A poster on another forum (often a dribbler) says Parra have there eye on Soward.. Let's see if truth comes to that..

Altho I believe we need forwards more than halves, I would love to see Barrett back. Deffinately Soward and Barrett half combination is something I'd like to see.

For god sake, if it means having Barrett over Kimmorley, surely that is a better scenario!!!!

Barrett is Dragons through and through and would hate to see him in any other NRL clubs colours

And just to add to this.....if we let Ryles go for Kimmorley and they get Barrett as well, we will end up with a complete Booby Prize!

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
im sure bennett has a plan, maybe he doesnt want to open a can of worms up there with the broncos, if he want ryles out to get barrett i expect some promising signing, as doust says everyone is under review, i expect to see around 6 to 8 new players thast including promising up and comers

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Barrett and the young kid Kennedy. I think that should be the plan. Kennedy looks like he will be a good player in the future. He is playing well in the U/20's and can't play in that comp too long so getting Barrett will be great for this young kid. He needs a mentor and what better player than Baz.

Forget Chase and Soward thanks to Brown. They were getting into some form last season and strung a few good games together and then the excellent coaching skills of Brown put Gaz at 5/8 and broke the momentumn these guys had achieved. They struggled ever since.

They did well against the Gold Coast who are competition leaders at the moment but that was not good enough for Browny to stick with them. He is a coach under fire and tyrying everything he can to land the Wooden Spoon. Want's to go down in history for the Joint Venture as the 1st coach to land the Wooden Spoon.

Mr Bennett, please get on the phone NOW and sort this mess out, before Brown and Doust leave you with NO players for next year!!!!

Dakink

Bench
Please please get BArrett back in the Red and White where he belongs.

And in no way do we want that little gnome like monkey The Scum can keep him.....I would rather have Dan Hunt playing out of 7 than Kimmorley.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I'm starting to warm to the idea of Barrett & Soward in the halves... Just no Kimmorley. For the love of God.

grandorient

Bench
I was going to refrain from posting what I was thinking, but what the heck.

Does Barrett want to return because perhaps he believes he is the golden haired boy who can rescue the sinking ship? With Bennett on board he wouldn't be needed.

Having said that, I believe that Wayne would get even more out of him than the English coaches have done, and he would certainly be a great asset to the team.

With the seasons in the 2 countries ending at completely different times of the year, would that mean Sir Barrett could play for us close to the end of this season, or late next season.

GO

mattystans000

Juniors
With the seasons in the 2 countries ending at completely different times of the year, would that mean Sir Barrett could play for us close to the end of this season, or late next season.

:? Superleague ends only about 2 weeks after the NRL. Seasons were aligned during the SL war, so we'd get him at the very start of next season. Which would be heaps awesome, he's having a blinder for wigan but he'd be coming back to a league where coaches have much more 1st hand knowledge of he's game but it would still be great for the club. And hopefully we won't lose ryles, he's playing great now but he's still a bit of a hot head, but hopefully bennett works that out of him, which i'm sure he will. :)

The Chef

Juniors
I'm hoping I get to see what Ryles is capable under Bennett as well as some of the other so-called "underperforming" dragons so it'll be dissapointing to see Ryles go. Noddy? NO effing way!

Now I haven't been watching Trent play for Wigan so I'm not sure of his form but from what I read his knee is still playing up? Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of Trent but there is a question over his durability. Nothing worse than off loading promising young talent to have $400K sitting injured on the sideline. Look to the future or re-live the past?

AdamStoy

Juniors
thats the thing hey, I'd love to see him back in the red and white...

but can his body still handle the NRL, even in the last year the game has changed massively. If he comes back I'd expect him to get injured.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
barrett $400k ryles 400k hinch 300k dont think so, id say barrett will a dragon again next year, finch to resign with the eels, ryles will at cronulla unless he takes a paycut cant see that happening, priddis 300k? gasnier 800k? cooper 300k? somethings gotta give here, i think ryles, what are we paying for gas and how is an outside party chiping in?

Latest posts