What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Barrett v Swans

iggy plop

First Grade
REMEMBER THIS ANYONE?

I call everybody to turn to page 5 of today's Daily Telegraph (17/06/2004) where you will find a story buried down the bottom regarding "Rowdy and Offensive" behaviour by Swans players during a binge drinking session.

Patrons of the Clovelly Hotel told the DT the players swore, vommited on a table, threw packets of chips and one dropped his pants before security kicked them out. One player allegedly head butted the hotel courtesy bus as teammates were driven from the carpark to the next destination in Kings Cross.

Apparently they were bagging the league blokes a lot during their rampage.

I wrote this thread last year in relation to this Swans incident being totally swept under the carpet. No players were named or shamed.

Trent Barrett does a few push-ups in his undies, the hotel manager had no problems with the Dragons players that night yet he get shamed in the media.

The Swans are just as high profile in Sydney as any individual rugby league club, yet they seem to get away with murder when it comes to these things.

A friggin joke.

iggy plop

First Grade
The Swans' Clovelly Hotel rampage died a very quiet death after that initial report which was a tiny little article down the bottom of the page.

No follow up story at all, no further investigations.

miketyson

Juniors
iggy plop said:
The Swans' Clovelly Hotel rampage died a very quiet death after that initial report which was a tiny little article down the bottom of the page.

No follow up story at all, no further investigations.

Backpage tomorrow will have a follow up story

'Barrett steps on worm'

'League star's cruel attack on innocent animal'

miketyson said:
What Barrett did was meaningless..
Anybody that would complain about what he did is a PC nazi.

Well it is your (NSW) papers.

The Melbourne papers covered both codes sex scandles fairly evenly.

Also covered the RU's recent indiscreations.

What make the NSW papers so different??????

Cletus

First Grade
It isn't much of a story but when was the last time you did pushups in your undies at the pub. He didn't hurt anyone and it isn't too offensive, but it's going to get in the paper.

iggy plop

First Grade
Onan the barbarian said:
It isn't much of a story but when was the last time you did pushups in your undies at the pub. He didn't hurt anyone and it isn't too offensive, but it's going to get in the paper.

Yet vomitting everywhere, exposing yourself, head-butting buses, throwing glasses and getting turfed out by security is ok when it comes to Sydney's AFL players.

miketyson

Juniors
UndertakerMike said:
Well it is your (NSW) papers.

The Melbourne papers covered both codes sex scandles fairly evenly.

Also covered the RU's recent indiscreations.

What make the NSW papers so different??????

There full sensationalists knobheads.

The blokes from VIC are not different IMO

"Rugby League is a culture to despise" etc etc.

Cletus

First Grade
iggy plop said:
Yet vomitting everywhere, exposing yourself, head-butting buses, throwing glasses and getting turfed out by security is ok when it comes to Sydney's AFL players.
They have to sell papers....stuff like this sells papers no matter how trivial it is.

iggy plop

First Grade
Onan the barbarian said:
They have to sell papers....stuff like this sells papers no matter how trivial it is.

You obviously haven't read the thread properly.

It's about double standards with league players and the Swans.

Nevermind.

Cletus

First Grade
It made the paper didn't it? Seen the Swans on the back page lately? If it were in Melbourne it would be front page, the thing is most people in NSW don't give a sh*t about AFL.

iggy plop

First Grade
Onan the barbarian said:
It made the paper didn't it? Seen the Swans on the back page lately? If it were in Melbourne it would be front page, the thing is most people in NSW don't give a sh*t about AFL.

Don't be a clown now. The Swans are just as high profile in Sydney as any single rugby league club. They get the biggest average crowds of any single club side in Sydney and their players are splashed all over the papers as role models. People like Rebecca Wilson write stupid articles on how their players never mess up and are perfect role models.

Their players vommitting everywhere, exposing themselves, throwing glass and being chucked out of a prominient Sydney hotel is surely worth further investigation.

Even in Sydney, that should be a much bigger story than Barrett doing a few push-ups in his undies at a remote country pub that had a section cordoned off especially for the players.

The AFL has a much cosier relationship with the media, it is so obvious.

Why did the Melbourne papers go nuts over the Bulldogs saga when they don't care about rugby league??? mmm...

Cletus

First Grade
Yeah right. Bulldogs allegedly gang rape a girl or Trent Barrett doing pushups in his undies. I wonder what's going to get more headlines? Do you think this story is back page in Melbourne? I doubt it. I don't think this is much of a story but it does involve a high profile player. It wouldn't be a story if it involved Peewee Moke.

As for the Swans getting bigger crowds, it's a one team town. Hell, I'll jump on the band wagon if they get into the Grand Final.

iggy plop

First Grade
Onan the barbarian said:
Yeah right. Bulldogs allegedly gang rape a girl or Trent Barrett doing pushups in his undies. I wonder what's going to get more headlines? Do you think this story is back page in Melbourne? I doubt it. I don't think this is much of a story but it does involve a high profile player. It wouldn't be a story if it involved Peewee Moke.

As for the Swans getting bigger crowds, it's a one team town. Hell, I'll jump on the band wagon if they get into the Grand Final.

You're losing me.

You were saying before that the Swans (AFL players) aren't an issue in Sydney no matter what they do. People in Sydney aren't interested. That's what you said.

Well my point was that melbourne papers seemed to be pretty interested when the Bulldogs story was out. But why should they when Melbourne people couldn't give two hoots about rugby league? The simple fact is Melbourne papers will only give rugby league a go when there is something negative to report. The Bulldogs have no profile in Melbourne, but they sure did after Coffs.

Where you bring Barrett into that one is beyond me.

The fact is the Swans are probably one of the highest profile football teams in Australia, mainly because they are known all over the country (including Sydney). Open a paper in Sydney and they getting more and more coverage every year.

Yet when they trash a joint it is virtually no news which is wrong when you see the trivial matters Barrett has been shamed for.

iggy plop

First Grade
I ask you - If Barry Hall did a steamer on the bar whilst drunk would that be worth reporting in the Sydney media?? or just because AFL isn't as popular as league we should just ignore it.

If you ask me if Barry Hall did that it should be a bigger story in Sydney than if say Luke Covell did it.

taipan

Referee
Rebecca Wilson of course completely and conveniently ignored this act by the Swans players.She should drag her rough head into the real world instead of sucking up to the AFL and report fairly which for her seems impossible.