What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bartercard Cup gone in 2008

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Love the Kiwi Roots thing

NCC sounds ok. Will it be a random draw to find the matchups, and how will home ground advantage work ? Challenge Cup type format sounds good

Is a shame for the sides outside of Auckland that the Bartercard Cup is gone, becuase that level of competition can't be found in their regions

Micistm

Bench
Hmm...sounds interesting for sure. I heard a few rumours sometime ago about it, and there was a feature suggesting it in the Chch Press- In one of the Friday Sports pullout sections a couple of weeks ago.

I think in the spirit of being a bit positive instead of the whinging disgruntled RL fan I've been over the past week with the Coach news, IMO the NZRL should be given credit for trying something like this.

I love the idea in Principle, and God knows the 'friendly hatred' (Sometimes not so friendly...Lol) between North and South of the Bombays would be as passionate as Queensland/NSW. I am not certain how it will go in practice, but I look forward to seeing it take shape.
The Bartercard Cup loss is sad though, when IMO all the elements of a great comp were there, but just needed some pumping up. In that regard it seems like throwing the Baby out with the bathwater. The smaller Regions could suffer badly due to this- But maybe they have something else in mind as well...Wait and see mode I guess.

Micistm

Bench
Looking back through what they've planned...I must say I do like it. This could work really well for the game providing they don't just set it up and think 'If you build it, they will come' type of thing. It will need some sassy marketing, pumping up and promoting- With that it could be a goa! It seems to me after watching the Rugby test at a party last night a ton of Rugby Heads are mega bored with their game. The time is ripe- Not to take over by any stretch of the imagination!- but to increase some market share to put a crude term on it. But it will need promoting big time.
The NZRL reminds me in some ways of a shop I used to work for- Had some great ideas for promotions/sales...would set them up- And just expect people to flow in! My arguement was always in that case in order to reap the benefits of a sale, you need to let people know it's on. It's a sales persons job to sell stuff...someone else's job to get them in the door in the first place. Likewise, it's the players and coaches job to put on a game that is exciting to watch and ultimately win- That's their part of the deal. It's someone elses job to get the punters in the door to watch with advertising, marketing and promotion.

IMO they're on the right track.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Righteo, who is good enough to put together the 2 sides, particularly the south

I am unsure on many of the players who they would be eligable for

I think Mannering, Kidwell, Vaealiki, G.Turner, Asotasi, Whatuira, Hohaia, Sa are all south boys

SpartanSlayer

Juniors
Do the players have to be from the NRL or the ESL? why cant they be from NZ clubs or BC. thats the only way to promote league in the provinces, give them something to play for. at the moment alot of players get turned off because their is that impression that to make it you have to be in aussie before you turn 20m or so. so alot that either cant afford to leave or think it will be a waste of time give up and go play rugby or something. the guys in the NRL and ESl have a busy enough time as it is.

The Observer

Staff member
Beavers Headgear said:
Righteo, who is good enough to put together the 2 sides, particularly the south

I am unsure on many of the players who they would be eligable for

These are possible teams - let's assume that the last year's finals lineup is the same for 2008. No Brisbane and Melbourne players from NRL, no Bradford, Saints, Hull, Wire players.

NORTH (all have played for Kiwis)
Webb; Vatuvei, Matai, Ropati, Utai; H Paul, Leuluai; Eastwood, Puletua, Williams; Asotasi (c), Latu, Fa'alogo. BENCH: Palea'aesina (prop), Lauiti'iti (prop/2row), R Paul (utility), Faumuina (backrow/centre) RESERVE: Soliola

Assume Wiki, Vagana, Jones retired from representative RL; also assuming that Tupou, Hape, Solomona, Meli, Faafili, Tony, Blair have club commitments.

SOUTH (11 have played for Kiwis)
Vaealiki; Mellars, Mannering, Hohaia, Whatuira; Marshall, J Smith; N Cayless (c), Faiumu, Chan; Kidwell, Koopu, Halatau. BENCH: Rapira (prop), Hauraki (prop/2row), Chase (utility), Turner (backrow) RESERVE: Sa/Afamasaga

Assume Talau, Rauhihi, Jason Cayless, Jeremy Smith (Storm) have club commitments.

Don't know the eligibility of a number of Kiwis or NZ A players including Webster, Inu, Pritchard, Roberts and some others.

Latest posts