What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baz to Wigan?

Wobbygong

First Grade
Anyone see the story on sports tonight (last night) about the possibility of Barrett playing for Wigan from 2007?

Apparently Lindsay is sniffing around again, and is out here to talk to Beavis about Barrett joining the Wigan Warriors.

They say he has a get out clause that enables him to play in the ESL, given we have lost both Holdsworth and the Flegg five eigth, it sounds like we better start looking for someone else in case he does decide to leave. I hope it's another storm in a tea cup.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
How long is Baz contracted to the Dragons?

Personally I can not see him going. The other day he said that he was all settled in the Gong, just built a house and all and has no intention of moving for a while.

If he does go poor Hornby will be shifted to another new position. I am sure he is capable of doing that job as well.

That means Greenshields will be fullback fulltime. Maybe the reason why they signed him for 1 year........

That Jersey Flegg 5/8 in the GF was good but is at the Roosters.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Slippery Morris said:
How long is Baz contracted to the Dragons?

Personally I can not see him going. The other day he said that he was all settled in the Gong, just built a house and all and has no intention of moving for a while.
And the pay packet ain't too shabby either.

Wobbygong

First Grade
I suppose it's simply part one of the destabilize the Dragons 2006 campaign.

Speculation will grow as the season continues....................... They love floating these stories when its a quiet newsweek.

Lowey3

Juniors
According to the Wigan fans over here...

They've signed Barratt, Gasnier, Lyon and king kong for next season.

The fact is they talk sh*te!! rumours are constantly being named with Wigan and their fans believe everything!!!

Very gullable people e.g. somebody posted a rumour on rlfans, stating that they had seen Jamie Lyon with Millward having a meal with a contract on the table.... some of the thick fookers went out and got Lyon printed on the back of their jerseys!!!!

Like i said - gullable people!!

G

gorilla

If only the Man had been able to tackle like Rod McGregor, as well as dance...;-)

fccasual

Juniors
the best part about this rumour; is recently in the english press millward (Wigan coach) came out babbling about theres not any quality english half backs in super league or players in general coming through because theres to many imports in the super league restricting ther progress and to stick by what he's said they are linked to barrett for 2007, brings in at least half a dozen imports for 2006 season inturn releasing at most 4 english players now i can't quite but my finger on why english players are restricted at clubs like wigan. quite laughable in my opinion

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Barrett has pretty much put an end to the speculation.

Dragon's captain Trent Barrett says he has not held talks with any English Super League clubs about his future despite reports recently that had linked him with Maurice Lindsay at Wigan.
http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.asp?ID=9610

Plus I understand that next year he is eligible for the 10-year $100,000 exemption from the salary cap which surely improves Saints position in keeping Barrett.

God-King Dean

Immortal
I'll be absolutly disgusted if we let him go. F*ck thinking about the future for once, let's think about getting the trophy in the next couple of years.

borat

Bench
It is interesting however to think of what our halves options would be if Barrett did leave. The story in todays paper said that the Dragons want Barrett to give them an indication of what he is going to do by March. Therefore Matt Head has about 4-5 months to prove he could lead the team around the park on his own or we will have alot of money to spend on a new 5/8 or halfback. Don't know who is available this year.

Southernsaint

Staff member
I've been to the North-West of England. Whatever Barrett is being offered would need to be doubled for me to entertain living there...

Let's face it, Barrett has under-achieved for Saints. If he wants to go, let him go. Just tell him to make up his mind ASAP so we can use his salary to retain other players...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hope John Sutton has a get out clause. He would be ideal for Baz..........

Hopefully this will end up with Baz staying and getting a salary cut to fit other players under the cap. He won't really get a salary cut but probably an offer for employment after he retires. Set him up for life.

I heard that whilst Craig Young is alive his son is going nowhere and Creagh and Coops are only thinking about staying at one club to repay the faith that the Dragons have shown in them. Only concern is Gaz but I am sure uncle Reg will have alot to say.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I think Uncle Reg has been reported as saying he doesn't get involved in his nephew's career decisions, or words to that effect.
Something about not wanting to put undue pressure just because young Mark is stuck with the famous surname.
Having said that, its not unreasonable to suggest that being a Gasnier and a St George junior must be part of the mix in Mark's mind - loyalties and all that. Might explain some of the indecision that goes on.