What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beaten, bruised, bloodied... broken

thickos

First Grade
What a waste. What a waste of a season that had so much potential. Here we are, languishing in 11th position, stranded on 22 points. We've been here for a month, when September beckoned. A top four position beckoned. And it's all come to nothing.

So many predicted the demise of the Raiders in 2005. Yet we remained resilient, laughing off the doomsayers. Spoon favourites in many eyes, those who followed the Raiders closely knew we had a good mix of old heads, fresh talent and a few gamebreakers. Heading back to September's shores was a distinct possibility.

The opening five weeks was somewhat like a dream. What an opening, what flashy football. An opening weekend thrashing of Newcastle made us all feel a bit better - 'Dad's Army' would win a few games this season. Maybe we would avoid the spoon. Souths were next, and the passion in the green was evident. I still get goosebumps thinking of Clinton Schifcofske diving over in the corner at the SFS, to score the winning try. Rising from the ground, he salutes the Raiders Army and SGB and every other Raiders fan there, right in front of him, with the big double fist pump and the most passionate display from a player you've seen.

schif.jpg

What a moment. The crowd went berserk! This meant more than his emblem kissing exploits of last season, this one was for us. The team and the fans travelling as one on a quest no one thought we had in us. It was a tremendous day and while it was 'only Souths', we were heading in the right direction.

The Dragons - cannon fodder for our scorching attack (I can't believe I just wrote that). The arch enemies, the Roosters, made the trek down to a Bruce Stadium littered with 'Ju$t Juda$' balloons and finally, they left empty handed. The Raiders once again were top of the tree, and didn't it feel good.

A month down the track the Raiders recorded the most heroic win I have ever seen. Down 18-0 after 15 minutes at Penrith Stadium, with threadbare defence and shocking refereeing decision, it seemed like it was to be a long night. But we chipped away, chipped away. This team was made of stern stuff. Some tradesmanlike tries, a Phil classic. Suddenly the game was on, and some Marshall Chalk magic sealed us one of the great comeback wins. It was the stuff of legend and one thing I remember most from that night was the smiles on the fans faces, as well as the players. The players were ecstatic. What courage, character and commitment. It was like we didn't want to lose. Our exciting crop of youngsters were coming to the fore.

Since that night, we've won 3 out of 13 matches.

This has probably been the worst stretch I can remember. Blocks of five losses on the trot and now four in the past four weeks. Sure, the commitment has been there in some of the losses, but 'giving your best' is not always good enough. This is professional sport and you live and die by your results, and to go from 6-2 to 9-12 is unacceptable, no matter what the injury toll. The embarassment of losing to Souths at home caps the fall from grace.

Sure, the injury toll has hurt us. To be honest I have never seen an injury list like it. We've used 32 players, which I think is the 2nd most in the comp - and the 2nd tier cap is the only thing preventing us using more. Prop has been the position that has hurt us the most - since O'Hara and Weyman went down in successive weeks our record stands at 5-12 - not good reading. While Thompson and Miller have been heroic they cannot do it alone - and while Rhino is not everyone's cup of tea anymore since joining the Tigers, we've missed him so badly.

Continuity is the key to success and that is where injuries have hurt us. The backline has never had a chance to gel - Schif missed 6 weeks, Graham missed 4, Chalk missed 5, Robbo has been in and out of first grade, Mogg has been suspended...you name it. The reason Parramatta have been so successful this season compared to previous is that they've kept roughly the same team all year - it has been a rare two weeks when we have been able to name the same lineup.

I often wonder where we would be without Jason Smith. What a tremendous purchase, what an amazing player. Tough as nails. Yet he's been the best and the worst thing about us this season. We're so dependent on him, we look like a rudderless ship when he's gone. Yes his role is partly to educate our young halves but they are not ready to play the role he does with ease, not yet anyway. Without him we would be spoon candidates, no question. But we need to ween ourselves off his freakish abilities, as he will not be here much longer.

I want to touch on the Todd Carney issue. He has so much promise yet I can see why he has his detractors because many have not seen him carve up PL. I'd love for him to blow a team or two away just to show everyone what he's got. I think his lack of confidence at the first grade level is partly due to a poor introduction into the top flight, but there's not much that can be done now about that. The key for mine is that he trains all off-season in the 7 jersey, runs the team all off season, knows he will be the man come 2006, and then we go from there. Whether that happens is another story.

On top of injuries we've had the double whammy of suspensions to deal with too. While nearly everyone thinks the Woolford suspension was ridiculous, Germ has cost the team badly in 2005. For the captain to be missing for 12 weeks when his team-mates need him so badly because of injuries etc... it's not good enough. He needs to change his style, or make way. We can't accomodate Germ despite being a loyal servant of the club if he isn't going to change his ways.

I'll let you all touch on the issue of the coach, I know there are a lot of varied opinions. I support Elliott but I criticise him when I see fit, and in the case of our attack we are a basket case. We need to be re-invented, a halves coach, something. We have a lot of potential waiting to be unleashed, but I get the horrible feeling it will be at other clubs.

I don't know what hurts more - to have a sh*t season from the start, or to start the way we did and now be in our current predicament. Newcastle, the joke of the league for the first 16 weeks, can finish on the same number of wins as us. They will have a positive outlook for 2006. Can the same be said for us?

It's getting very dark now. The only light that flickers are the loyal band of Raiders supporters who will stick by the team. With our additions, it is hard to say what 2006 will hold. I hope it will be better than 2005, because I know there are a lot of shattered Raiders fans all over Australia and the world right now.

ausraider

Juniors
Some very good points thickos.I hope Carney is there in preseason and starts from the front.we have heap of potential but I for one can't say that for the coach.But will stick like glue for the rest of the season and hope 2006 will bring alot more of first month of 2005.
Cheers

MONY

Juniors
its unfortunate for the raiders that they have so many injuries....... with a full team im extremely sure they are a top 8 team.... :(

aussies1st

Staff member
Losing Jason Smith to injury hasn't helped our team. We can only think of next year now. Hopefully Carney has learnt some stuff and is starting next year. Hopefully Elliot also tries to develop back up for Smith before he gets injuried not when he is injuried. Our side next year is looking very good hopefully we can do what the Tigers and Cowboys have done in recent seasons.

edabomb

First Grade
I don't think we will make the 8 next season. We have no fire power in the outside backs, and have added none. We've stocked up on mediocre forwards instead. Hopefully Ale, Milne, Chalk etc can become quality first graders, but I think its a bit much to be asking them to do this next season. Our only outside backs that would be in demand at other clubs are Graham and Chalk IMO.

aussies1st

Staff member
I wouldn't call the forwards we brought mediocre. They haven't really been tried. Had we brought forwards that were over the hill then we would have mediocre forwards. Unlike the roosters we don't buy players that have been developed we actually go through the development stage.

Eddie.

Bench
Raiders played like a broken team on Saturday Night, they have showed alot of pride this season, but think they might be ready to toss it in.

And they may finish alot closer to the wooden spoon then some would like to think.

dubby

Bench
Well written Thickos, some good points on which i agree 100%. Shame that injuries have really rattled us like no year i ever remember. 06 will only be better if injuries stay away and the team learn to win without J Smith.07 will be a cracker, just you see.

Timbo

Staff member
It's 2003's darker cousin.

2003 was the season of 'what might have been', with one point standing between us and a grand final qualifier.

2005 saw us field our best side since the late 90's but fail to make the finals.

Injuries, to be sure have hurt us alot, but with the side we had...

It was just an incredible waste of a season.

Chachi

Bench
Great post thickos - I think it clearly expresses the frustration that this season has been for us all. To fizzle out in such a way is disappointing and certainly a killer for all the fans.

What needs to be remembered though is the fact that we are still only 2 wins away from equal 5th (notwithstanding for and against). Given those key games where we have blown good leads (Cronulla, Manly and Tigers off the top of my head) and a few others where we were so close, it leads me to believe we're not too far off the mark in many ways.

I agree we are somewhat of a one man team, but many clubs have lived and died this year based on the form/availability of a key half (Johns, Barrett, Kimmorley, Orford, Monaghan, even Lockyer). This is indeed a weakness, but not one isolated to the Raiders. Even in our "dream team" days we effectively lost the '93 comp the day Stuart broke his leg.

No season is ever a complete waste. I know a lot of people out there don't rate Elliott as a coach or mentor, but whatever the case, he has had to bring in a lot of young guys this year whether he wanted to or not. That can't be a bad thing, nor is the fact that we've proven to be competitive in most games with at least 6-10 players usually unavailable each week. The first 4 rounds showed what we can do with a full deck of cards and with an equal share of luck there's nothing stopping us from doing it with more consistency next year.

It also wouldn't be a bad thing if Robert Finch got the arse as the refs boss. I swear he must be telling some of his guys to stick it to us in some sort of sick 'payback' for little Bretty...

Kris_man

Bench
aussies1st said:
I wouldn't call the forwards we brought mediocre. They haven't really been tried. Had we brought forwards that were over the hill then we would have mediocre forwards. Unlike the roosters we don't buy players that have been developed we actually go through the development stage.

They aren't exactly superstars though, are they?

aussies1st

Staff member
Definitely not because we can't buy superstars. But they seem to have potential. We have been able to make no bodies into good players like Clinton Schif, Hodgson. We also have got the best out of Lomu which the Sharks couldn't do.

dazeely

First Grade
Great read thickos. Well said. i do think you are wrong in a way though. You guys have fought hard and valiantly only to just get beaten. I don't care which team it is but with your injuries no one could or would do better. You have been cruelled so badly your continuity of players was lost and subsequently the teams confidence. I can't recall ever seeing such and injury toll.

I actually think you guys have done well to hang in there and fight to the death. Even your loses have been close. Whilst it has been a dissapointing end to the season I honestly would hold your head high and take the many positives your down and out team displayed. They were the warriors of the comp with a never die attitude.

Good luck guys for the rest of the season (not too much in Rnd 25 though). Like I bleed blue and gold you as the supporters need to stick together and stand proud for your team that has given its all week in week out.

nickraider

Juniors
dazeely said:
Great read thickos. Well said. i do think you are wrong in a way though. You guys have fought hard and valiantly only to just get beaten. I don't care which team it is but with your injuries no one could or would do better. You have been cruelled so badly your continuity of players was lost and subsequently the teams confidence. I can't recall ever seeing such and injury toll.

I actually think you guys have done well to hang in there and fight to the death. Even your loses have been close. Whilst it has been a dissapointing end to the season I honestly would hold your head high and take the many positives your down and out team displayed. They were the warriors of the comp with a never die attitude.

Good luck guys for the rest of the season (not too much in Rnd 25 though). Like I bleed blue and gold you as the supporters need to stick together and stand proud for your team that has given its all week in week out.
Thanks Dazeely for the kind words. Doesn't ease the pain though!!!

:cry:

SOULS 04

Juniors
yeh its been a tough year

not long to go now... we'll be back next year and hopefully we have alot less injuries.

Latest posts