What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

since77

Juniors
dont really understand why they would want to throw more big coin after they finally freed some up with Val.. but there are other clubs who will be hunting like dogs and tigers.. rcg prob on very good coin though..

Sounds like it is the 2yr vs 3yr thing again.. story of a few of our signings.. Flanno wants em hungry and his roster fluid.
Our front row is our achilles heel. We need someone better than what we have. If there were anyone I'd be prepared to risk 3 years on out of the three names we're hearing about - RCG, Saifiti and Horsborough - RCG would be the one I'd be most prepared to take a punt on even knowing that year 3 might be a risk. Without improvements in the front row we'll be fringe 8th / 9th again next year. The only way we move up the ladder is with better middles.

TruSaint

Referee
Our front row is our achilles heel. We need someone better than what we have. If there were anyone I'd be prepared to risk 3 years on out of the three names we're hearing about - RCG, Saifiti and Horsborough - RCG would be the one I'd be most prepared to take a punt on even knowing that year 3 might be a risk. Without improvements in the front row we'll be fringe 8th / 9th again next year. The only way we move up the ladder is with better middles.

Good call.
We need a few bigger bods in the middle. Apart from Francis we dont really have impact up front.

Interesting viewing Payton cowboys pressor conforming Val Holmes exit
No mention of chasing RCG for next year but extending McLean and Feldt , as well as Cotter and Robson , plus their juniors
Looking more likely RCG will land here
Think you are on the money @Dungay D with the call on RCG.
Big balancing act with salary cap management, so he will struggle to get a 3 year deal at any club.
I think Flanagan will get his way with the deal being for 2 years.
Looks like it will become a juggling act, but we are likely to get 2/3 from RCG, Safiti and Horsburgh.
From a number of reports, the order of preference seems to be RCG, Horsburgh then Safiti.

TheRev

Coach
Just realised I may have made it sound like we shouldnt be taking on the RCG contract, I meant the cows.. they needed money to sure up all those up and comers plus supposedly they were going to be over the cap in 2025, so im not sure paying overs for an old prop is something in their interest...

Different story for us, 100% agree we need better forwards and we have cash to burn.. the better our pack goes the better we go, regardless of how well the backline fares.

Gareth67

First Grade
The only option he should have is to join another club.
Agree saintmar , it is not that he is in the top echelon of forwards / front rowers and at his age I believe that a 3 year deal is expecting too much .

However from the latest reports he apparently has said that he and his family would not object to moving to the land of cane-toads . Make of that as you will .

randomdragon

Juniors
I believe RCG is a smoke screen sent out by Flano himself to his minions in the media to hurry horsbrough/knights into a decision.
do not understate the fact that flanos good mate buzz was fiercely backing Kyle before the judiciary hearing and then somehow the very next morning he gets the Holmes story... Flano knows exactly what he is doing with the media

Parko1310

Juniors
I believe RCG is a smoke screen sent out by Flano himself to his minions in the media to hurry horsbrough/knights into a decision.
May be the case, but I really don't see how the Cowboys sign him either. Why when they've got so many stars to re-sign and having just moved Val on they would sign another big money player doesn't make sense to me. I mean surely they aren't that incompetent up there.

Obviously that doesn't have a heap to do with us, but I feel the RCG rumour might have something to it. I personally do not want Horsborough here at all, I really don't rate him, but I'm warming to the idea of RCG and Saifiti as I think we could probably afford both (we'd still need to move on a couple for roster spots). Getting both of those guys in there for next year along with Val, Cook, and the attacking threat of Liddle as a 14, I'd be reasonably confident of a top 8 finish. We won't go near a comp with that, but it's another very solid building block going into Flano year 2 (if these signings were to happen)

TheRev

Coach
o There is no doubt Flanno has been trying to play off Saifiti, Horsburgh and maybe RCG.. which one he prefers im not sure.. he still may want 2 of them (despite the public statement about only chasing 1). It could all blow up in his face if he misses 1 or 2 of em and loses his leverage, but hes willing to risk it for the biscuit.. and tbh he's had to get creative , and fight tooth and nail to get blokes to come here.. its not like he gets to pick and choose from the smorgasbord.

o Did RCG always have that big pouch? Not that I should be pointing fingers, and hes still doing big minutes, but curious if its just him in his 30's now, and curious if a big pre-season would do wonders for him.

o And yes I cant understand why the Cows would be interested in an older player supposedly on 750k, the thing with these players shopped mid-contract.. is that contract has to be paid by someone, its what might get us Horsburgh over the dogs.. we can afford to pay for forwards, the dogs are trying to find as many guys who 'want to be a bulldog' for massive unders.. but they must have 500k+ free from somewhere that they would have spent on Stefano..

TheRev

Coach
do not understate the fact that flanos good mate buzz was fiercely backing Kyle before the judiciary hearing and then somehow the very next morning he gets the Holmes story... Flano knows exactly what he is doing with the media
100%, and I thought it was a spot on take, but it was a brave one given all the love for Chrichton out there.. no surprise at all that buzz got the Val story.. and also the timing was perfect the day after the Kyle hearing.

And just today Val has posted on insta that they have a 2nd kid due right around Week 1 of next season.. so its all been timed quite nicely, lot of accouncements.. hopefully next one is a forward and then we can move onto the next phase of tuning this roster.