What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beckham out of World Cup 2010

Ridders

Coach
Wonder if he'll continue playing given that the WC has been one of his major motivations.

shiznit

Coach
i almost sh*t myself when heard... the headline was 'england world cup saviour out of tournament with ruptured Achilles' i thought it was Rooney.

on balance i dont know if it makes them any weaker....

i think the likes of Milner & Lennon were better options. but it was good to have him in the squad for depth and experience.

WireMan

Bench
The best player at Milan.

Awesome footballer. Will be definately missed at the world cup.

Gonna have to put up with garbage like Wrigth-Philips or Walcott now. :(

Oh well. Where there is a Rooney, there is a way. ;-)

Ridders

Coach

Waaah :crazy:

Heard of a guy called Pato?

Mad Dogg

Juniors
It is a big loss IMO. Not as a starter, but as someone who can come on late in a match and just supply the front men with some truly world class balls. He's still the best crosser of the ball in the world.

Feel gutted for him, pretty much everything he's done over the last 18 months was focused on getting him into the England squad for the WC.

Ridders

Coach
It is a big loss IMO. Not as a starter, but as someone who can come on late in a match and just supply the front men with some truly world class balls. He's still the best crosser of the ball in the world.

Feel gutted for him, pretty much everything he's done over the last 18 months was focused on getting him into the England squad for the WC.

Yep, which is why I'm wondering whether we've seen the last of him.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Yep, which is why I'm wondering whether we've seen the last of him.
I don't think he'll retire completely, but he may just go back to his experiment in the USA. Or he may have enjoyed top flight football too much, and will continue trying to get loaned back to europe (although how willing Galaxy will be to that now that the WC dream is over is a different story).

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

he's a bench player at Milan, but he is a pretty good one

still delivers the ball pretty well, England will miss him

hybrid_tiger

Coach
He's hardly the best player at Milan (though is one of their better players in the current squad.). I will always have immense respect for him as he is one of few English players who have bothered to move out of their comfort zone and test themselves abroad. Gascoigne was another one.

Eddie.

Bench
He's hardly the best player at Milan (though is one of their better players in the current squad.). I will always have immense respect for him as he is one of few English players who have bothered to move out of their comfort zone and test themselves abroad. Gascoigne was another one.

Test themselves abroad??

I would argue the PL is a fair test of a players abilities. It was almost embarrassing watching the gulf in class between Man United and Milan these days. Not sure Beckham at 34, would still be playing regularly in a Top 4 side in England.

Bulldog Force

Referee
At 35, he's hardly a big loss. It's more of a personal loss for him than a loss for the England team. With Rooney in the form he's in... now THAT will be a loss.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Test themselves abroad??

I would argue the PL is a fair test of a players abilities. It was almost embarrassing watching the gulf in class between Man United and Milan these days. Not sure Beckham at 34, would still be playing regularly in a Top 4 side in England.

He is not a regular at Milan either, used off the bench mostly.

Yes, test themselves abroad. Completely different lifestyle, completely different football, way out of his or anyone else's comfort zone. Not many English players have done it, most of them remain in the EPL.

You will get no arguments from me that the EPL top 4 sides are a few notches above the top four sides in Italy at the moment - due to a number of factors, mostly finances.

But as for the rest of the teams, the gap is no where near what some like to think. I watched Sunderland-Man City and Milan-Chievo the other day, and nobody's going to convince me the better football was in the Premier League. There was more cheating, diving, sly fouling and time-wasting by Sunderland in that match than all the other three sides put together.

But this is for another thread, not Beckham's.

WireMan

Bench
He is not a regular at Milan either, used off the bench mostly.

Yes, test themselves abroad. Completely different lifestyle, completely different football, way out of his or anyone else's comfort zone. Not many English players have done it, most of them remain in the EPL.

You will get no arguments from me that the EPL top 4 sides are a few notches above the top four sides in Italy at the moment - due to a number of factors, mostly finances.

But as for the rest of the teams, the gap is no where near what some like to think. I watched Sunderland-Man City and Milan-Chievo the other day, and nobody's going to convince me the better football was in the Premier League. There was more cheating, diving, sly fouling and time-wasting by Sunderland in that match than all the other three sides put together.

But this is for another thread, not Beckham's.

I have just watched Milan play two games. I can tell you Beckham was there best player!! In fact the only person who came close was Seedorf.

If you think Milan-Chievo was a good game of football then there is something really wrong with your eyes. The first half had one shot from Milan. The second not much better. It was slow, boring, nothing at all happening.

On Beckham. Huge loss.

Latest posts