What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bedsy will be silent Knight

northey

First Grade
MEET Danny Buderus - the only captain in the NRL who doesn't have to speak to referees.
As the fallout from Andrew Johns' two-match suspension for abuse of touch judge continues, the Knights last weekend placated the whistle-blowers by overlooking fiery Buderus as skipper.
That was partially a response to referees boss Robert Finch saying after the Johns incident Buderus had a problem with the way he addresses refs.
But when the Knights' side was named last night for the game against Penrith on Saturday night, Buderus had regained the captaincy.
"The fact is that he's our captain for all intents and purposes when Andrew isn't there," coach Michael Hagan said last night.
"He will be our captain when Joey is no longer doing that job.
"But it may work in a similar fashion to last week as far as who actually deals with the referee."
Asked if Steve Simpson and Matt Gidley would be the men to speak to referee Steve Clark at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Saturday, Hagan said: "Yes, that may well be the case."
Hagan said Buderus was working on his rapport with officials and would eventually resume that duty as well – although he could not say when.
"I think Danny benefits from it in that he can concentrate on how he plays and he was tremendous for us last Saturday night," said Hagan.
While Buderus is expected to attend the toss and rev up his players and make decisions on goalkicks on Saturday night, second-rower Simpson and centre Gidley will speak to Clark.
It will be Gidley's final home game before joining St Helens next season.
Finch said on August 12 – the day after Johns abused a touch judge: "I'm also very concerned that players who aren't the captain are getting in there and having their say.
"Danny Buderus is one. That seems to be a constant thing for him."
And when Buderus was asked last Saturday night about the reasons for him not being captain in the 19-12 win over North Queensland at Dairy Farmers Stadium, he said: "I had no problems – it's all for the team and the balance of the team.
"I don't have to deal with it and obviously the referees have made it clear that we're serial offenders and whatever.
"We've got to clean up our image."
Hagan said fullback Milton Thaiday (ankle) and reserve Reegan Tanner (niggling injuries) were in doubt.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,20218477-5006066,00.html

Photo that goes with the article
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5222504,00.jpg

Ben

Bench
We certainly need Thaiday there because otherwise we will miss his spark at the back. I would be happy if Tanner dropped out so that Abraham can fill in.

Latest posts